The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

For me, this hits the nail on the head... Please bear with me through the following rant...!

Quite simply, the results and  - arguably more importantly - the performances under JMc have never been good enough.  He may well have stepped into a shecht situation last November, but as a professional he should have known the situation and have had a plan for how to turn it around, particularly using the Jan transfer window.  Instead, from his post match comments and body language I saw someone who provided only excuses and had given up on the season far too early.  That is not a winner's mentality.

I've observed all the boardroom / management changes.  I've seen new stand sponsorship.  I've seen new social media folks.  I've seen the appointment of video analyst...

Some of this is great. But...  we're a bloody part time football club in the third tier of the Scottish league!!  We don't need this degree of perceived professionalization!!

For me, JMc is probably a very good fitness coach with a good mind on professional aspects of elite sports.  However, at this level, so much is down to personality.  Dick and Pink had it in spades.  When you're a team of players from all over that's meeting for only a few hours a week, it's pishing down, blowing a hoolie and you're 2-0 down - you need a big personality to overcome all that adversity, getting the team playing together and running through brick walls for each other.

Too many people have bought into the professionalization of the club, when what's actually needed are the big salt of the earth personalities that bring the team together.  Sadly, such folks have departed the club at various levels over past year.

While I don't agree with all of this, there are some extremely good points made and plenty of food for thought in certain areas.....

15 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Not been on here for a while and i am as confused as any other Red Lichtie supporter about events on and off the field at our great club.

JMc record is absolutely shocking and is now less than a 10% win rate and at any level of football you would be hard pushed to keep your job, i was at the Q&A meeting and like most fans that were there i was prepared to give him a chance and i really wanted him to succeed but i cannot see any improvement.

I do believe we have a better squad now but we create very few clear cut chances, our 2 strikers were making great runs into space on Saturday but we were just passing square balls around the back or midfield and we had no cutting edge that a player like Nicky Low or Noobs would create.

And why oh why with the wind at our back were we not taking shots at goal from 25/30 yards yet we take a short corner that ended up back in our own half and another corner kick that is still on its way to the Bellrock Lighthouse = it is not Rocket Science working out the wind.

I will say this again and folk can look up the facts but our most successful Managers have always stayed local and had strong connections with the fans and he town and what i have heard is JMc cannot wait to jump in his car and get off home after the games.

Sir Albert Henderson - Arbroath.

Dave Baikie - Tayport.

Paul Sheerin - Perth.

John McGlashan - Carnoustie.

Dick Campbell - Fife.

All the above stayed within an hours drive to Gayfield and either won the league or got us promoted so there must be something in this having a Manager that stays close by.

I still maintain we have a very good squad of players but we should be doing better than we are at the moment.  

C'Mon the Red Lichties.

john brownlie , won us promotion where did he stay

After 2 matches we are 5 points adrift of top spot. If this trend continues and we are 12-15 behind after the first quarter, then the season is dead if we were targeting top spot. 

Half season ticket sales and future sponsors will disappear as both are easier to sell for a success story. 

Next Saturday is crucial imo. We need to win and play some decent football. 

50 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Couldn’t care less if the football is decent as long as we win. The winner could go in off Gallagher ball sack for all I care 

Yep.

Of course we want to win games playing nice football but that can come later. A few wins, by any means is what is desperately needed just now.

1 hour ago, relichtie said:

After 2 matches we are 5 points adrift of top spot. If this trend continues and we are 12-15 behind after the first quarter, then the season is dead if we were targeting top spot. 

Half season ticket sales and future sponsors will disappear as both are easier to sell for a success story. 

Next Saturday is crucial imo. We need to win and play some decent football. 

I will say it's still very early. In 21/22 we were 9th on matchday 25 and finished 6 points off the playoffs come the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Advertised last night looking to sponsor his away shirt,

Someone must have his home,

Well they did! 
Im Sure the supporter/sponsor gets first glance to sponsor a new player or will get to sponsor one of the current players still looking for one 

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I got pelters for making a mistake last time, but I haven't had anything on the whatsapp since full time on Saturday, I've had to go to facebook after reading it on here first.  Is it still my Whatsapp that is the problem?

They didn’t post it on whatsapp until about half an hour ago I’m sure

6 hours ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

For me, this hits the nail on the head... Please bear with me through the following rant...!

Quite simply, the results and  - arguably more importantly - the performances under JMc have never been good enough.  He may well have stepped into a shecht situation last November, but as a professional he should have known the situation and have had a plan for how to turn it around, particularly using the Jan transfer window.  Instead, from his post match comments and body language I saw someone who provided only excuses and had given up on the season far too early.  That is not a winner's mentality.

I've observed all the boardroom / management changes.  I've seen new stand sponsorship.  I've seen new social media folks.  I've seen the appointment of video analyst...

Some of this is great. But...  we're a bloody part time football club in the third tier of the Scottish league!!  We don't need this degree of perceived professionalization!!

For me, JMc is probably a very good fitness coach with a good mind on professional aspects of elite sports.  However, at this level, so much is down to personality.  Dick and Pink had it in spades.  When you're a team of players from all over that's meeting for only a few hours a week, it's pishing down, blowing a hoolie and you're 2-0 down - you need a big personality to overcome all that adversity, getting the team playing together and running through brick walls for each other.

Too many people have bought into the professionalization of the club, when what's actually needed are the big salt of the earth personalities that bring the team together.  Sadly, such folks have departed the club at various levels over past year.

Guessing you long for the days of John Christison in charge where players were only offered 1 year deals, who burned practically every bridge with the local businesses as he could and we had numerous spells at the foot of the SFL.

Times have changed I am afraid. Fans dont want to see the club back at the bottom of the pile. Especially now with the threat of dropping to the Highland League.

In order to stay above the rest the club needs to do more off the park to give whomever is in charge, the resources to compete at the highest level we can achieve. If the people behind the scenes can bring in more revenue than what it costs to have them on board then what is there to complain about? Old man yells at cloud sort of vibes.

4 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Guessing you long for the days of John Christison in charge where players were only offered 1 year deals, who burned practically every bridge with the local businesses as he could and we had numerous spells at the foot of the SFL.

Times have changed I am afraid. Fans dont want to see the club back at the bottom of the pile. Especially now with the threat of dropping to the Highland League.

In order to stay above the rest the club needs to do more off the park to give whomever is in charge, the resources to compete at the highest level we can achieve. If the people behind the scenes can bring in more revenue than what it costs to have them on board then what is there to complain about? Old man yells at cloud sort of vibes.

Can you elaborate on what specifics you mean in reference to my post?  I don't think I'm disagreeing with you and may need to clarify.  I agree the club needs to look at new ways of generating revenue and is doing so, including the stand sponsorship, which is great. 

However, rather than focus on commercial side, my post was intending to focus on the on-field performance, which is the polar opposite of great. 

8 hours ago, Smokerson said:

I think  he will get 5 or 6 games to see if we can get any sort of results / momentum going, don't think he has done himself any favours in his interview saying "we stuck to the game plan" and moaning about the wind, two stupid comments.

I find him also totally lacking in any charisma and personality , he may be different in and around the players but never thought he was a guy who was likely to motivate anyone.

But its about results and signing the right players, both of which he hasn't done and doesn't look like doing anytime soon. Interesting few weeks ahead.

So people like Gallagher, Reilly, McAdams, Wilkie, Coulsen are not the right players??

18 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

So people like Gallagher, Reilly, McAdams, Wilkie, Coulsen are not the right players??

18 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

For me McAdams, Watson, Gallagher and Reilly are genuinely as good as we could get and hope for. 

Coulson looks like he could be a real talent in time and it’s great to get him on a 2 year deal. 

Wilkie and Bisland - got a lot going for them but at same time you can tell they are both inexperienced and need more games. 

Callaghan - a really weird one I think.

Spalding and Richardson - young lads with potential. 

Hemfrey - very good option for the goals and as the second keeper 

I am not sure if I have forgotten anyone but I think the signings have been on the whole very good.

I think we really need something else in the middle of the park entirely, defensive cover with Gogs away and I think another forward option with a bit of size and presence. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

26 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

For me McAdams, Watson, Gallagher and Reilly are genuinely as good as we could get and hope for. 

Coulson looks like he could be a real talent in time and it’s great to get him on a 2 year deal. 

Wilkie and Bisland - got a lot going for them but at same time you can tell they are both inexperienced and need more games. 

Callaghan - a really weird one I think.

Spalding and Richardson - young lads with potential. 

Hemfrey - very good option for the goals and as the second keeper 

I am not sure if I have forgotten anyone but I think the signings have been on the whole very good.

I think we really need something else in the middle of the park entirely, defensive cover with Gogs away and I think another forward option with a bit of size and presence. 

Callaghan was always a peculiar signing, didn’t have an upside for me, no more than a squad player, don’t have any issue with the rest