The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

33 games but Goldie and Hammy not miracle workers, they will get backed and give a massive boost but we are miles off it due to a manager who shouldn't of been here or backed, 

I honestly don't see how anyone could think we will get any where near 4th with how things are, we are about 4 or 5 players away from where we should be

Before saying that I would wait and see what happens when this group of players are under a different leadership and receiving different instructions - the only weak area of the team for me is the centre of midfield - the way we’re playing makes that problem even worse. There are a lot of good players in that squad and plenty of serviceable ones 

1 minute ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

A whole new midfield then. 😆

I think we need 2 midfielders, 1 or 2 wingers and a striker,

Young lad from is way to small and looks like a panic buy and Stowe needs away 

1 minute ago, lichtiekev said:

33 games but Goldie and Hammy not miracle workers, they will get backed and give a massive boost but we are miles off it due to a manager who shouldn't of been here or backed, 

I honestly don't see how anyone could think we will get any where near 4th with how things are, we are about 4 or 5 players away from where we should be

What players out of our currently 11 aren't good enough? When you go through it...

McAdams - already proved himself

Keith Watson/ Tob at centre back

Innes Murray/ Quinn Coulson have proved themselves at this level out wide

Gallagher and Reilly - two of the best part time forwards available in the country

Scott Stewart is obviously more than capable, Jack Wilkie has been fairly impressive so far

There's also plenty of others I've mentioned, but I'd understand not seeing them in the starting 11.

I'd argue we're really not far off at all - we're not going to get better centre backs, wide players or forwards than those mentioned above while at this level IMO.

In my opinion we've picked up 1 point from 9 so far because our central midfield has been shite both defensively and creative wise, and because we've been tactically inept and not played to our strengths at all.

Just now, SimonLichtie said:

What players out of our currently 11 aren't good enough? When you go through it...

Gallagher and Reilly - two of the best part time forwards available in the country

Scott Stewart is obviously more than capable, Jack Wilkie has been fairly impressive so far

There's also plenty of others I've mentioned, but I'd understand not seeing them in the starting 11.

I'd argue we're really not far off at all - we're not going to get better centre backs, wide players or forwards than those mentioned above while at this level IMO.

In my opinion we've picked up 1 point from 9 so far because our central midfield has been shite both defensively and creative wise, and because we've been tactically inept and not played to our strengths at all.

For me

Stowe and Slater are not good enough.

Slater has been pretty poor since he joined. And I dont believe he is going to improve as he has played under 2 managers and looked underwhelming under both.

I get that Callaghan isnt any better but as he is just in the door he is very unlikely to leave.

The squad assembled by McIntyre is so weak, we have absolutely nothing in the middle of the park, no dig, no fight, no grizzly bstrds. No combination of gold/slater/callaghan/spalding gives us anything combative. We are over run constantly. Showed at stenny we got bullied desperately. Mcadams Watson ToB SS and Coulson only positives for me so far. Rest of squad meh. Reilly has missed 2 glaring game changing chances, right after HT at stenny and again there today where he had to score that. 2 goals if they gone In we then take a lead in the game, Gallagher has shown nothing but he’d been playing for a creative Airdrie side not feeding off scraps. 

broken record but Wilkie and Callaghan are miles off it, but again a CB shoehorned to LB to cover for hammy. I do not feel we are in a good place squad wise. Really hope Goldie and hammy can just steady things for a while, if we did have to pay out a large whack to pay off JM could we see the 2 of them take over to end of season to save on a manager wage? 

after all the ups and downs of the last few years, at the end today looking around the terracing it’s the same faces as 6/7 years ago before the influx of happy clappers. The last year has ruined every bit of high the club had surrounding it, noticed in the main stand the hospitality section was completely empty. Time for a fresh start again get behind the boys. A bit of commitment and fight. 

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

No issues with any of the players mentioned, 

That doesn't mean we aren't 4 or 5 players away from having a squad to compete from promotion, 

But  weeks ago we needed another striker, we needed another winger and we need a couple of centre midfielders as everyone could see what we had wasn't the answer, 

1 minute ago, lichtiekev said:

No issues with any of the players mentioned, 

That doesn't mean we aren't 4 or 5 players away from having a squad to compete from promotion, 

But  weeks ago we needed another striker, we needed another winger and we need a couple of centre midfielders as everyone could see what we had wasn't the answer, 

Squad wise I don't disagree in terms of depth/ the centre of the park, but I do think we have the basis of a really good team, we just have one massive, glaring deficiency.

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

Squad wise I don't disagree in terms of depth/ the centre of the park, but I do think we have the basis of a really good team, we just have one massive, glaring deficiency.

We have some how made Gallagher look like a pub league player,

There is a potential there but it would be daft to think we are just gonna change in an instant, 

It will get better and there will be a boost but I'm not expecting miracles, I 

43 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

The main reason Callaghan has been playing so much is probably down to the fact Gold and Slater have had injuries.

I do see him as a squad player but we desperately need a better option in the middle to start ahead of Callaghan and Slater.

Easy there Tiger, love Goldie to bits club legend,can play anywhere, but  he isn’t what’s required in CM, we require a b*****d of a ball winner and someone who can pass the ball forward 

46 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

I would have Scott Stewart in CM at the moment the current options.

Agreed

also need to move Slater and Stowe on

Our centre-midfield has been dreadful.

All our effort should be to try and sign someone to play the holding role and have Slater, Murray or Gold with them. I worry that Gold is the type of player that is elevated by playing with better players rather than the type that elevates others.

Callaghan wasn't good enough for us in his first spell and he seems to be significantly poorer now. 

Reilly had little to work with but when we get the ball to his feet, he seems to have something about him.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Yes I did in fact.  I can understand certain Arbroath fans not wanting to be reminded that we told them so. 

Do you have next weeks lottery numbers?

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

It's still very early but the league looks really weak and your squad is among the strongest. Any decent manager should be aiming to be contending at the top. 

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Agree with your general point but Coulson has proved himself out wide at this level? He never really managed to properly nail down his place as a player who should be starting in 18 months at Alloa. Might well go on to prove himself but still very much a work in progress. Overall I agree though, Arbroath have loads of good players for this level and in a season like this where it's currently hard to see a stand out team you should be aiming for the title. 

Edited by Waspie

25 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Yes I did in fact.  I can understand certain Arbroath fans not wanting to be reminded that we told them so. 

If you no got a result of your own to celebrate, always thought this obsession with a manager from yonks ago, was a wee bit petty, but each to their own, I suppose, so maybe now, you could kindly f**k off to your own forum and leave us to our misery

Let's give Hammy and Goldie a bit of breathing space. No need to make a knee jerk appointment. The board should take time to make sure we get the proper manager to take us back up there. Who knows Hammy/Gold might be a success. Paul Sheeran was,  in his first crack at management. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Another victim of the most poisoned chalice job in scottish lower league fitba. Another man bagged at 5pm by a board who act on sheer emotion, very unprofessional. 

I hope Jim’s ok. 

I wonder if he’ll turn up next week to cheer on his local side.