The Arbroath Thread

Given our poor start to the season I'd be less inclined to ring the changes for this. Give the players who will be starting up at cove the chance to build some momentum and then hopefully we can make a few changes as the game goes on. Tend to think we will probably get a bit of both which I'm fine with, my biggest hope is that Oakley starts as he was great fun to watch last week. 

3 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What a difference one single win makes! 😂

I’ve said all the way through I think we will come good and we don’t need much. After exchanging Oakley for Thomson and signing Tait I think we’re slowly getting there. A proper striker required and we could be a decent team 

So Hilson is now one of our “best players” because he has one good game and scores a goal, and anyone who disagrees is called out 😆. If he plays like that every week and scores a load more goals then he may begin to start earning that title. Until then he will continue to be one of our most frustrating underachievers.

Before the likes of Lichteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee jumps in to have a go, I will say again how delighted I was for him on Saturday and how I would love him to do that every week.

34 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

So Hilson is now one of our “best players” because he has one good game and scores a goal, and anyone who disagrees is called out 😆. If he plays like that every week and scores a load more goals then he may begin to start earning that title. Until then he will continue to be one of our most frustrating underachievers.

Before the likes of Lichteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee jumps in to have a go, I will say again how delighted I was for him on Saturday and how I would love him to do that every week.

Think it was just tongue in cheek and pretty funny tbf

18 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Its not about having a go, im entitled to my opinion, as you are yours. 

You just seem to rip into your own players at any given opportunity, which isnt what id call support or a fan. 

Hes there, hes signed a contract, hes in the squad and im almost certain he gives 100%

If he was the next Haaland, he certainly wouldnt be at Arbroath, realistic expectation is needed. 

Yes it was tounge in cheek, but someone has to stick up for what we have. Hilson was given a chance, and he done well, given hes has little to no gametime in a long time.

Ans when he scored, i was buzzing because i know folks like your good self would be raging at the main man Hilly banging one in.

52 minutes ago, Lichteeeeee said:

You just seem to rip into your own players at any given opportunity, which isnt what id call support or a fan. 

Hes there, hes signed a contract, hes in the squad and im almost certain he gives 100%

If he was the next Haaland, he certainly wouldnt be at Arbroath, realistic expectation is needed. 

Yes it was tounge in cheek, but someone has to stick up for what we have. Hilson was given a chance, and he done well, given hes has little to no gametime in a long time.

Ans when he scored, i was buzzing because i know folks like your good self would be raging at the main man Hilly banging one in.

Go and find all these comments of mine where I rip into our players. You may find a few where I was less than complementary about Hilson and Donnelly in particular but it was always with the addition that I desperately wanted them to do well and could see their latent ability. I also recently questioned McKenna’s current form, again with the backdrop of me thinking he’s a fantastic player and one of my favourites in 44+ years of watching Arbroath. 

Like you, I’m allowed to have an opinion. And no player (or manager) can be immune to criticism, so long as it’s justified. Feeling unable to criticise players or a manger is how teams sleep walk into failure.

I’ll also repeat what I have said many times - I was delighted that Hilson played well and scored on Saturday, and definitely wasn’t “raging”. I always rated Hilson when at Forfar and would love him to prove us all wrong and do it week in week out… again, something I’ve said multiple times.

Oh and FWIW I don’t think your initial comment was tongue in cheek. You have shown many times that you don’t tolerate criticism of Hilson, constructive or otherwise and that you rate him much higher than his performances deserve and think he gets a raw deal. Personally, I think (my opinion) that he’s had an easier ride than many others have on the past and that is in part down to the recent success and also because the vast majority of us are desperate for him to come good.

Edited by Tattie36

2 hours ago, Lichteeeeee said:

Is all well in the dressing room again after Saturday or still a rift?

4 hours ago, Lichteeeeee said:

Would you like to see any of "Nouble's mates" given a start against East Fife, or would you prefer we played only the white guys?  Or was that tongue in cheek too?