The Arbroath Thread

Great result out of the blue on Saturday and good to see the positivity in these posts but let's not get carried away after one win in eight games. 

Yes, there were good debuts from the new signings. We may be approaching the corner but we haven't turned it yet. We are still 4 points behind Cove and they have a game in hand. So whilst I have criticised the management I'll pass on the humble pie for the time being. Be happy to have my slice should we finish in 8th place or higher but until we put a winning run together I'll stick with the steak and black pudding ones.

Hoping for a result on Saturday, taking 3 points off Caley is overdue.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

2 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Great result out of the blue on Saturday and good to see the positivity in these posts but let's not get carried away after one win in eight games. 

Yes, there were good debuts from the new signings. We may be approaching the corner but we haven't turned it yet. We are still 4 points behind Cove and they have a game in hand. So whilst I have criticised the management I'll pass on the humble pie for the time being. Be happy to have my slice should we finish in 8th place or higher but until we put a winning run together I'll stick with the steak and black pudding ones.

Hoping for a result on Saturday, taking 3 points off Caley is overdue.

Cove game in hand is against Dundee at Dens and I know we won there on Saturday but would only fancy them to take a point at most there. Beating Caley Saturday would be huge too as it would mean they were only 6 ahead of us which seems quite ridiculous considering how bad a season we’ve had 

22 hours ago, ecto said:

Agree with most of this, but no matter how well the management team have done, they’re not above criticism

Totally agree hence i said his summer signings/tactics/line-ups/subs for most of this season has been crap but i like a bit of loyalty to folk who have done good for this club so the likes of this current Management Team/Bobby Linn/Ricky/Hammy/Goldie/TOB/Mickey/Gatts and a couple of others get a bit of slack from me for what they have done for the Red Lichties but also as you say are not above criticism. 

Edited by AFC360PUNK1320

I can’t speak for anyone else but the humble pie I wanted a portion of on Monday was nothing to do with thinking we had turned a corner or that things were going to be fine. It was to do with the performances of the new guys, particularly Yasin and the unexpected nature of the result, I didn’t go as I was convinced we were getting pumped. I was wrong.

As has been already been said by others, it was 1 win and 1 good performance. We need several of both of those, very soon, before I’ll fully admit I was wrong re wanting a change of management - I really hope this is the case.

We’ve had a few false dawns this season already: Win at Morton, Dundee 1-1, Hamilton 1-0, second half v Morton at home. I thought things were possibly turning after the Morton draw but that was followed by a turgid draw at Raith then two home scuddings. Keep it up and keep us up and I’ll happily admit I was wrong and eat an entire humble pie myself. However none of this takes away from the fact that we should never have been near to this situation in the first place and that the season has been a shambles.

A good performance and win tomorrow against our least favourite opposition and we can maybe start thinking we can get out of this mess.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Humble pie? After 1 win against 10 men? Deary me. 

Let’s not forget Dicks disdain towards the support in interviews this season as well. 

You were greeting in the stand at 2.2 min

Dundee played better with 10 men then 11, to be honest in scottish fitbaw against 10 men can be good or be bad and a team trys harder.....ie ICT in the play offs they were down to ten and we struggled to finish the game off am I right ?? 

The average points total to finish 8th over the last 10-15 years is around 35 points although there has been a couple of seasons that 40 was needed. I think we need to be aiming at around 38 to be sure. That would require another 6/7 wins out of 18 as we will inevitably pick up a couple of draws having had 8 already this season (the most of any team in league)

Distinctively achievable but would need to reach Monday's level of performance more often that not.

1 minute ago, Smokerson said:

The average points total to finish 8th over the last 10-15 years is around 35 points although there has been a couple of seasons that 40 was needed. I think we need to be aiming at around 38 to be sure. That would require another 6/7 wins out of 18 as we will inevitably pick up a couple of draws having had 8 already this season (the most of any team in league)

Distinctively achievable but would need to reach Monday's level of performance more often that not.

Sounds simple but we have to make Gayfield a fortress again. Teams have come here and bullied us this season. Starting against Caley on Saturday 

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Must be another striker coming in today then as that leaves us threadbare for striking options.

I was thinking the same,still need a couple of striker s.

I think Shanks probably works best in a 2 up front with someone more physical than him. Just think he doesn’t suit our system but hopefully he gets amongst the goals at Peterhead and comes back stronger for a place next season, there is a decent player in there.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Hopefully Shanks is their first choice striker and gets a run of games. I see Fosu started on Monday so I’d hope Shanks can walk into the team as well. 

Peterhead are in a plight this season, unless they start picking up results it may be hard to judge exactly how Shanks gets on.