The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Anyone else worried about what’s happening in Scottish football? That’s now Albion Rovers gone, 5 established teams out of the league since relegation was introduced and I can’t see any of them getting back in anytime soon… if ever.

Ok, you can argue that teams like Shire and Rovers have been makeweights for years but it’s not really that long ago that Rovers were promoted with us to L1. Also Berwick and Cowden have beaten us to titles not that long ago and we all know where Brechin and Cowdenbeath were within the last decade.

It really scares me, all a team needs (including us) is 2 or 3 bad seasons and that’s it.

Don’t see why we should be worried about league 2 to be honest 

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Don’t see why we should be worried about league 2 to be honest 

I’m sure Brechin and Cowden would have said the same 7 or 8 years ago when they were riding high and we were fighting to stay out of the L2 relegation playoffs.

In my time as a fan we’ve ended up flat last 3 times I think and been shit more often than we’ve been good.

Obviously it’s not an immediate concern but, as I said before,  2 or 3 bad seasons and it could become a very real danger for a large chunk of established league teams.

Edited by Tattie36

4 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I’m sure Brechin and Cowden would have said the same 7 or 8 years ago when they were riding high and we were fighting to stay out of the L2 relegation playoffs.

In my time as a fan we’ve ended up flat last 3 times I think and been shit more often than we’ve been good.

Obviously it’s not an immediate concern but, as I said before,  2 or 3 bad seasons and it could become a very real danger for a large chunk of established league teams.

Shite this season and still survived. Let’s look at the positives. Enjoy your summer ☀️ 

33 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I agree that teams shouldn’t just be allowed to tread water without consequence (e.g. Shire and to extent Rovers) but that argument can’t be used for Berwick and particularly Cowdenbeath and Brechin who’ve both done very well in the not very distant past.

It's intereresting to compare the teams that have actually been relegated through sporting methods (Albion, Berwick, Brechin, Cowden & Shire) with Rangers' attempt to get rid of the teams that they considered to be 'minnows' back in 1965. As ever, they claimed it was 'for the good of Scottish fpptball'

Rangers had hatched a plan to expel Albion, Berwick, Brechin, Stenny & Stranraer on the basis of their average crowds. In addition, Rangers made it quite clear to about a dozen other part-time clubs (including Arbroath) that they would be added to this list if they voted against the proposal. Fortunately, court action by the 5, plus the general feeling that sporting integrity should be maintained meant that . Rangers were forced to abandon this plan by 1967.

While I consider Rangers to be self-interested scum (like both halves of the OF), it's interesting to see that 3 teams (Albion, Berwick & Brechin) appear on both lists.

12 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

If you finish bottom of any league you deserve to go down. Albion. Shire Cowdenbeath, Berwick have all deserved what they’ve got. Good to see some new progressive clubs come into the leagues.

Spot on. Finish bottom, go down, 

Brechin won the highland league this year and took Spartans all the way to a penalty shootout in the playoff semi finals. They're the poster boys for proving that falling out of league 2 need not be a death sentence.

1 hour ago, Anotherlichtie said:

They kits are absolutely awful, but if you get a chance have a look at the social media. Some supporters are in love with the kit. Must be looking for brownie points. 

Scott Martin against us 4 times next season by looks of it 

If some supporters like them they like them. God knows what brownie points have to do with it

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Anyone else worried about what’s happening in Scottish football? That’s now Albion Rovers gone, 5 established teams out of the league since relegation was introduced and I can’t see any of them getting back in anytime soon… if ever.

Ok, you can argue that teams like Shire and Rovers have been makeweights for years but it’s not really that long ago that Rovers were promoted with us to L1. Also Berwick and Cowden have beaten us to titles not that long ago and we all know where Brechin and Cowdenbeath were within the last decade.

It really scares me, all a team needs (including us) is 2 or 3 bad seasons and that’s it.

Have to remember Spartans only beat Brechin on penalties, but I do think Brechin getting out of the Highland League might be more likely than any of the other four getting out of the Lowland League 

5 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Not really, I see your point but there has to be a consequence for being the worst team in the leagues and likewise there has to be a reward for winning the highland/lowland league.

I agree, but it must be automatic relegation for the bottom team 

4 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I agree that teams shouldn’t just be allowed to tread water without consequence (e.g. Shire and to extent Rovers) but that argument can’t be used for Berwick and particularly Cowdenbeath and Brechin who’ve both done very well in the not very distant past.

Shire got away with it, for far to long

On 19/05/2023 at 20:59, RedLichtie86 said:

By releasing a new kit each season, they are hoping for fans (especially parents of the younger fans) to buy them just because its a new kit. The quality of the kits has declined by quite a bit with this supplier compared to last one. 

Didnt see any issue with running the same kit for 2 seasons and alternating years which kit got upgraded.

That's what we do, change the home kit one year then away the next, keep them for 2 years.

That would be good, but we're with Pendle getting out of the catalogue kits that the Dog and Duck wear. 

2 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

That's what we do, change the home kit one year then away the next, keep them for 2 years.

That would be good, but we're with Pendle getting out of the catalogue kits that the Dog and Duck wear. 

Pendle are horrific. Might as well be ProStar