The Arbroath Thread

A very nothing game that. 

Trialist wise I would like to have a look at the number 8 who played right wing in the 2nd half and the left winger from the first half. Both looked like they had something about them. 

I would not put much thought into how the trialists faired today. A couple of training sessions and playing in a makeshift teams is never going to get the best out of players. 

Sometimes takes players 2, 3, 4 games to get up to speed anyways.

Dick will be looking at what they are doing in training as well as these games to make a judgement on.

But if these trialists dont work out and we dont bring enough quality in before the window closes, some questions need to be asked of the recruitment strategy.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I know it’s just a pre-season friendly by by christ this is grim. Absolutely no attacking threat. None of the trialists look anything to me, left winger at a push.

The number 39 in the middle looked better than Jacobs or Allan 

Edited by ecto

47 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

But apart from that he looks rotten.

Right winger with the man bun has shown glimpses 

Oh no, man bun man, was poor

The bad

Man bun - actually tried and had some ok moments but he doesn’t look like a football player to me - I think he thinks he is though..

Big centre half 1st half - looked off it and they got in behind him so easily 

Left winger from 1st half - lightweight 

Striker 1st half number 33 - looked like he’d just been told his Mrs had been having an affair - looked like he’d do anything other than actually run or try and when in good positions he looked lost 

Other striker first half - tried like f**k but hopeless 

Big Tim striker number 37 second half - 😂

Other striker second half - needed to pull his socks up - meh 

The good

Left wing trialist second half - liked look of him, fast, sturdy, clever and took people on 

Wee centre mid - knew what he was doing and looked decent 

As for our own players thought Steele looked very nervy. Jacobs not good. Allan our best player first half and Gold our best second half. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

40 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The bad

Man bun - actually tried and had some ok moments but he doesn’t look like a football player to me - I think he thinks he is though..

Big centre half 1st half - looked off it and they got in behind him so easily 

Left winger from 1st half - lightweight 

Striker 1st half number 33 - looked like he’d just been told his Mrs had been having an affair - looked like he’d do anything other than actually run or try and when in good positions he looked lost 

Other striker first half - tried like f**k but hopeless 

Big Tim striker number 37 second half - 😂

Other striker second half - needed to pull his socks up - meh 

The good

Left wing trialist second half - liked look of him, fast, sturdy, clever and took people on 

Wee centre mid - knew what he was doing and looked decent 

As for our own players thought Steele looked very nervy. Jacobs not good. Allan our best player first half and Gold our best second half. 

Decent summary.

I don’t think any of the trialists looked good enough to get a contract. Our best players were all guys who’ve been with us for a while and I actually thought Steel looked decent, also a couple of good saves from Adams in the first half. Jacobs was terrible, Alan was meh.

The big thing for me is (yes I know it’s the first game for these guys), if you’re good enough then surely to feck you shouldn’t be made to look very ordinary by a Highland League team. remember that was their first game too and they looked by far the better team in the first half and deserved the draw.

Disappointing and very familiar feeling.

I thought the 2 guys mentioned did really show up well. Wee left winger was good and wee centre mid. 

It’s obviously hard to judge, my mate mentioned to me today how average Nouble looked in his first game here but felt like Fosu was better than 7 if they guys the day which says a lot. 

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I thought the 2 guys mentioned did really show up well. Wee left winger was good and wee centre mid. 

It’s obviously hard to judge, my mate mentioned to me today how average Nouble looked in his first game here but felt like Fosu was better than 7 if they guys the day which says a lot. 

Yeah the left winger wasn’t bad I suppose. Are you talking about the central midfielder in the first half? Yeah he wasn’t bad but nothing special. I don’t think any looked any better than the trialists we had at Brechin and Montrose last season.

Yeah Nouble wasn’t brilliant in his first game but he was very obviously not fit. These guys have been training for weeks and were made to look ordinary by a 5th tier team.

Edited by Tattie36

The trialist that played centre mid was by far the best out the bunch then I’d say the other pass mark would go to the left winger in the second half. Rest didn’t look up to much big man who set up the goal and done well for it could be useful but very clumsy.

Training fitness and match fitness are totally different so hard to be too harsh but you can tell who decent and just rubbish.

see what like next week again but I don’t hold too hope much from this crop of trialists 

4 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

The trialist that played centre mid was by far the best out the bunch then I’d say the other pass mark would go to the left winger in the second half. Rest didn’t look up to much big man who set up the goal and done well for it could be useful but very clumsy.

Training fitness and match fitness are totally different so hard to be too harsh but you can tell who decent and just rubbish.

see what like next week again but I don’t hold too hope much from this crop of trialists 

My worry is that this is it and that we’ll be getting our remaining signings from this bunch. Dick said we’re “signing” another 5 so where else will they be from if not the trialists?

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

My worry is that this is it and that we’ll be getting our remaining signings from this bunch. Dick said we’re “signing” another 5 so where else will they be from if not the trialists?

More players will become available and we will look at others plus there’s the loan market still plenty time. Yes we want more players in but I’d rather no sign pish and wait 

13 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

More players will become available and we will look at others plus there’s the loan market still plenty time. Yes we want more players in but I’d rather no sign pish and wait 

The loan thing has been discussed and there’s just not the same quality put out on loan now days. Dick said himself that they don’t want to rely on loans due to the potential lack of quality. Yes, we’ll probably get a couple but let’s not expect them to be that good.

What other players will become available? Other teams have been snapping everyone up and I’m not sure how many more, if any, players of the required standard will become available.

I genuinely worry that the management have put all their eggs in one basket and are banking on our remaining signings coming from this bunch. Why invest so much time and effort (and money) in bringing these guys up for a few weeks to then get rid of them all?

This has a very real danger of turning into last season mkII.

Just my opinion of course.