The Arbroath Thread

Kevin O’Hara being linked with Hamilton accies in League 1 after leaving Dunfermline. Would’ve liked to have seen us in about him for another striker. I know he’s gone a little off the boil the last couple of seasons but he was lethal at Alloa and still has loads of time in his career.

13 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think that this season, if we want the right players, we are going to need to pay transfer fees,  not rummage through the bosman list.

I don't have any particular faith in the management though, and I don't understand why others would. 

Neither do i understand it, crazy. Been in the championship for 5 seasons, 2 promotions, almost got into the premier league.

It really is shocking that supporters will put up with that terrible record.

I'll always remember when Paul Sheerin won us our first league title and a somewhat raging fan posted on the old arbroath-mad.co.uk board that he was a pish manager and he'd won the 3rd division with ex premier league players and it was hardly an achivement.

I strongly suspect that if we have a good season and are mid-table comfy this year, there will be comments on it being 'nothing to do with Dick, he's been lucky with the signings we've had' or along the lines of 'think about how much better we would be doing if he wasn't in charge, we could be further up the table'. Sometimes once people have made their mind up that's that, and the focus will always be on the negative/ what could be better and the things that go right will be someone else's input.

Edited by SimonLichtie

Flicked through Linlithgow highlights and Stowe was a million miles clear of anyone else on the park scoring some absolutely unbelievable goals and creating them too in most of them but again obviously such a big jump.

Also tried to imagine what Scott Stewart or Ryan Dow would look like at that level, they’d obviously be brilliant and massively stand out but genuinely not sure either of them would be capable of some of the things Stowe was doing and that’s not a criticism of Dow or Stewart. Dare I say it he had some similar qualities to Bobby Linn in regards to him being the only one on the park capable of some of the things he was doing.

I’m really interested to see how this one pans out I hope he has the right attitude and can turn into a good player for us.  He is 24 and will be here until he is atleast 26, on the face of it that’s probably someone who is going to be playing PT football for his entire career players don’t usually make the jump when they’re approaching 27.

Really interested to see how that one pans out. 

My brother Ian (assistant manager), our head of recruitment Barry Sellars and I are working closely to identify and pursue players.

“We’ll have a good look at the players coming up on trial from England and fully assess them in training and games.

I’m keen to see what they could add to our squad.

“But that doesn’t mean we aren’t continuing to scour the Scottish market with real purpose.”

-

The latest Dick Campbell quote from todays Courier above

That has made me feel a lot better. Especially the bit about the Scottish market.

I am excited to see how Steele, Stowe, Slater and an improved McIntosh get on in the friendlies. On paper all look like good signings, all identified early where we seem to have beaten off competition from other teams to sign them. I think we will see another 2 perm and 3 loans.

Have these signings been forgotten about?

Also, if we are bringing up trialists from England, it seems like these guys are in training early, so we will be running the eye over them properly, I would be astonished if Dick signed guys at the level of last year like Corfe, Komolafe, Isiaka etc. If he does then he deserves every bit of criticism that will come his way.

Its also worth noting, that a couple of the hybrid guys were ok last year, Banks and Adwarka and Yassin in flashes.

4 hours ago, keptie said:

Neither do i understand it, crazy. Been in the championship for 5 seasons, 2 promotions, almost got into the premier league.

It really is shocking that supporters will put up with that terrible record.

Keyboard Warrior with your passive aggressive bullshit 

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'll always remember when Paul Sheerin won us our first league title and a somewhat raging fan posted on the old arbroath-mad.co.uk board that he was a pish manager and he'd won the 3rd division with ex premier league players and it was hardly an achivement.

I strongly suspect that if we have a good season and are mid-table comfy this year, there will be comments on it being 'nothing to do with Dick, he's been lucky with the signings we've had' or along the lines of 'think about how much better we would be doing if he wasn't in charge, we could be further up the table'. Sometimes once people have made their mind up that's that, and the focus will always be on the negative/ what could be better and the things that go right will be someone else's input.

I was standing in Tutties in a drunken state after we won the league at Stirling in 2017 and vividly remember one supporter who had a clear dislike for Dick (and still does) wanting him sacked. It was surreal 

Edited by lichtie23

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

I was standing in Tutties in a drunken state after we won the league at Stirling in 2017 and vividly remember one supporter who had a clear dislike for Dick (and still does) wanting him sacked. It was surreal 

Jesus. I know it’s no secret that I wanted Dick punted last season but after Stirling he could have done anything he wanted to my wife with my full blessing…. and to me for that matter.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Haha! What a complete fool. He must have hated the last 6 years. 

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Mike Swankie by any chance? 🤣🤣🤣

Interesting watching the Dick Campbell interview there. He’s saying we’re going to be signing another 5 players and he says he’s not prepared to wait until August to see what players are being put out on loan. I like this approach as loans can be so hit or miss and, as he also says, the quality of players going out on loan just isn’t what it used to be.

I’m sure we’ll probably still aim to get a loan or two in but it’s great that it doesn’t sound like we’re going to be banking on them.

Yeah watched the video and I am going to lay off the greeting about trialists.

Pink says they’ve been watching these guys since February and they’ve all played at a good level, so away to just see what happens and try enjoy the football starting back up 

58 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

we’ll probably still aim to get a loan or two

I hope so, I look forward to the loan players coming in as some of them are outstanding for a team at our level ( I agree a few won't cut it), but generally, I think overall we have had some great loan players - one of whom scored for Scotland on Saturday night !

8 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

I hope so, I look forward to the loan players coming in as some of them are outstanding for a team at our level ( I agree a few won't cut it), but generally, I think overall we have had some great loan players - one of whom scored for Scotland on Saturday night !

Yes we have but a point Campbell made and as I and others have also said - Premiership clubs are just not loaning out anything like the quality of player they used to. The increase in substitutes allowed and match day squad sizes has put paid to that.

Because of that, unfortunately the chances of getting a Nouble or Jack Hamilton level of player are much less likely.

Edited by Tattie36