The Arbroath Thread

As said before, the non-league/juniors system is a different ball game compared to 20 years ago, let alone 40-50.

Back then, players would often start at the bottom and climb up but now the bigger clubs hoard so much of the young talent that it tends to trickle down now.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Excited by the sound of him but it’s a massive jump up 

Also the bit about 9 new players training with us sounds extremely ominous to me - that just reeks of last year - if players are any use at this level or proven at this level they will have plenty of contract offers on the table from other clubs so would have absolutely zero desire to come on trial here for 2 weeks. 

Unless the club is looking to establish a development/reserve squad I will be very wary of signing players from below L2.

Look at Shanks last year. Signed with a decent record in HL. Then never got the got long enough to develop at this club before being moved on.

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Airdrie fan on our thread insistent that we are trying to sign Adwarka. Did he play against us, at all? Don’t remember him. What’s he like? 

He’s good to be honest but made of chocolate - was hardly ever fit and I understand he’s extremely careful about his back. If he feels anything he will simply not play / train, that’s what I heard. When he was fit and firing I thought he was very good but I’m pretty sure he’s broken 

Reading about Stowe a wee bit last night - seems like he’s well known and a lot of clubs have been fancying him for a while. Last summer I read that they accepted a five figure bid for him too but he decided to stay one more year at Linlithgow. Ian Murray’s comments before Linlithgow Scottish Cup game v Raith 

IMG_1745.png

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Airdrie fan on our thread insistent that we are trying to sign Adwarka. Did he play against us, at all? Don’t remember him. What’s he like? 

Think there’s a player in there, but he’s fragile

15 minutes ago, ahfpjim said:

Glad you took the time to announce this as the club still hasn't announced anything on their web site. Pretty poor communications again!

Website isn’t great. Social media is updated quicker 

Without sounding like a greeting faced bairn or a child it feels like there’s a big contrast between our output this summer trying to build up hype and put out content compared to last summer

Even the announcements aren’t being teased, everyone and their dug posting pre season photos, videos and interviews this week and especially this weekend and we’ve been quiet. Not bothered like but it’s all been very low key I feel. Also seeing a lot of guys I had hoped we’d have had as targets going elsewhere 

If we complete the squad with 1/2 of these trialists and 3 or 4 loans I will be extremely disappointed 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

it’s all been very low key

Talent is worth waiting for - I am sure lessons have been learnt from last season's summer signings and announcements will happen in the coming weeks.

Would expect maybe 3-4 incoming new signings, along with perhaps 3 loan players (as usual, all depends on whose available and if they are the right fit for the squad - these things take time).

On other matters, wonder if Nicky Low will sign for Morton this season - I know one club he won't be signing for !

27 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Talent is worth waiting for - I am sure lessons have been learnt from last season's summer signings and announcements will happen in the coming weeks.

Would expect maybe 3-4 incoming new signings, along with perhaps 3 loan players (as usual, all depends on whose available and if they are the right fit for the squad - these things take time).

On other matters, wonder if Nicky Low will sign for Morton this season - I know one club he won't be signing for !

I think most clubs will have released all they’re going to by now so if we’re after any then we should know by now. I feel we’ve lost out to other teams and are now left scrambling about trying to sign whoever. What does “talent is worth waiting for” mean? Who are these super talented guys that are just waiting around for the call from Dick? I would have hoped and thought that our management and scouting teams would have had a number of players identified weeks ago, to be signed and announced as soon as the window opened but it feels a bit low key as 1320 says. I have a bad feeling that it’s going to be similar to last season with a load of trialists and YouTube highlight reel specials. Hope I’m wrong and we’re just finalising some excellent signings but I’m not holding my breath.

Also Nicky Low signed for Clydebank again a few weeks ago do we won’t see him again at this level. Total waste.

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

The talents all gone, it’s naive to think otherwise, if we are looking at trialists and loanees to fill the squad, then we have learned nothing from last season’s debacle 

Heard the guys are ex National League which is a step up from Isthmian but I can’t be arsed with them honestly. Kind of half hoping they’re shite in the friendlies cause looking half decent in pre season friendly matches really means f**k all. 

13 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv heard we have 5 boys defintely coming in for pre season. The source is pretty good as well. 

To save this thread, get them f**king announced 

9 minutes ago, ecto said:

To save this thread, get them f**king announced 

Iv never seen us ever announce we have trialists coming in. It will be a case of hopefully their names being on the team sheet at the Glebe next week and then we can do a Google search