The Arbroath Thread

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This Rab thing has fried my brain since you mentioned it. Surely not had a fall out and just on his holidays?

He definitely was there at Brechin but that was a month ago, not sure about the testimonial… but not there at Stirling on the 8th, Falkirk on the 15th, St Mirren on Saturday or last night. So maybe a personal situation? I hope it’s nothing serious but would be good to have clarity on what’s going on with it. He’s a massive character and would be a big miss if he left 

But again running without a goalie coach or a sports scientist, especially at this time of the season seems weird. Sports scientist the most frustrating because Kevin Milne officially announced as away on the 7th June (7 week ago) but as soon as the season ended he basically said he was away. Maybe sports scientists are extremely rare and hard to find who knows but had 3 month to get one and still seems to be no sign of one. 

Noticed the club doctor Callum Innes (great lad) was taking some wee drills and stretches at half time last night 

What's the combined age of the 3 guys running the team, all good having experience but need some other help surely, its such a shame the way things ended with Linn, he was ideal to keep for a player/coach role, 

So used to hearing Rab shouting encouragement all game, seems we have lost so many popular players in the dressing room lately I hope he isn't away too, 

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

Struggling season ahead for you lads? Would love to see you beat Utd on opening night.

I’m not sure because think there is obvious potential there and Bird looks like he’ll be great, but there are a couple of big problems that need sorted - shambles in this cup so far.

Can’t remember anything as bad as that defence we put out last night happening for a long time 

11 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Based on the last three games, I think playing 12 men and crowding the midfield is the only way we won't get cut open in there :ph34r:

..... I forgot to take out Balde after putting him in ahead of Slater :lol: It's past midnight and have just watched us get battered by Forfar, cut me some slack ;) 

Tbf, the thought of a central midfield of Slater and Allan, fears me greatly 

Lot of players are getting a hard time because of Dicks poor decisions - if last year was decent and not as poor as it was I don’t think anyone would be as bothered and they’d be able to see the positives but unfortunately last year was poor meaning the feel bad factor from last years just carried right on into this

We need to get out of the slump and regain some positivity sharpish

If Montrose win and Hester scores there will be heads gones all over the shop I’m calling it already 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

59 minutes ago, ecto said:

We canna be as bad, that we drop two divisions, surely 

The league cup and league two double is but an inevitability. Might aswell engrave our name on the trophy now.

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Tbf, the thought of a central midfield of Slater and Allan, fears me greatly 

I don't disagree to be honest - but with current personnel we've lightweight to say the least - ideally we'd have an enforcer in there alongside Slater or Allan, but without having one I'd just go with them as the two best technical players we can stick in there. If we're going to be lightweight in the centre of the park, we might as well have players in there who can play football.

49 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Balde should also be one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment 

It's very harsh on him not to be in the 11 I'd chose, but based on things so far I see Balde as more of an attacking midfielder, where as I see Allan/ Slater as sitting more. If Balde played exactly the same way but had a more defensive mindset I'd definitely have him in ahead of the centre of the park ahead of one of them. Potentially Balde fits more into McKenna's position as opposed to in the middle of the park; however I think Mikey needs to be given the first 3/4 league games at least to try and play himself into some form. Depending on how things go we may end up having too go with a 4-1-4-1 instead of 4-4-1-1 with an enforcer type in the defensive midfield role and in that formation I think Balde fits in nicely as a central midfielder. Currently I think it's really difficult to get our best players all on the park, as there are several different systems that suit them best, but not one that fits them all.

Firstly, congratulations to Forfar on their impressive result - hope they do well this coming season.

But no excuses should be offered up for these performances ( games against a Lowland league team and one two divisions below us).

DC wanted to win these games - not only for a decent cup run and income, but to gain player's confidence for the new season - all blown away so easily.

DC and the board have raised the standards and deserve credit for all that has been achieved - but these results are worrying for the new season.

Most teams have players out injured or are waiting on new signings and loan players - so we can't use that excuse ( all teams are in this position).

It's tough on the players being asked to play out of their position - I have sympathy for them, but thats no excuse for losing these games.

So, thats us been knocked out of the cup by both a lowland league and Div 2 team - the match against Montrose is about restoring some confidence and little else.

Not a good start for the league campaign ahead.

Balde showed he can be good at sitting a bit more last year cand he’s by far the most athletic, quick and robust central midfielder we have. Has to be a starter for me, alongside Slater. McKenna in front of that as a starter too. Allan / McIntosh off the bench to play in there

We do have a lot of good players but it’s missing some major parts to make them into a good unit

Anyone know the situation with ToB and Steeles injuries?

Edited by 1320Lichtie

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Balde showed he can be good at sitting a bit more last year cand he’s by far the most athletic, quick and robust central midfielder we have. Has to be a starter for me, alongside Slater. McKenna in front of that as a starter too. Allan / McIntosh off the bench to play in there

We do have a lot of good players but it’s missing some major parts to make them into a good unit

Anyone know the situation with ToB and Steeles injuries?

Steele looked like he suffered a calf injury from what I saw at St Mirren. 

I know supporters will want to know the extent of these injuries but I feel it would be silly for the club to release anything. Gives our opponents a heads up. 

54 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Steele looked like he suffered a calf injury from what I saw at St Mirren. 

I know supporters will want to know the extent of these injuries but I feel it would be silly for the club to release anything. Gives our opponents a heads up. 

Pretty common thing you hear in post and pre match interviews though. Managers giving updates on injuries 

Hopefully not serious then. Tam played full 90 Saturday so guessing it can’t be too bad 

Hearing a rumour that a very well known and experienced centre back has been attending training sessions and MIGHT be signing - he is getting on in terms of age, but remains a very good player - only a rumour, so won't mention any names, but thats what I have heard from a reasonable source.

14 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Hearing a rumour that a very well known and experienced centre back has been attending training sessions and MIGHT be signing - he is getting on in terms of age, but remains a very good player - only a rumour, so won't mention any names, but thats what I have heard from a reasonable source.

Well that’ll be Mulgrew but really dunno how I feel about that - would rather man mentioned from FC Edinburgh