The Arbroath Thread

32 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If we don’t have a LB in by Saturday I’d rather we went 3 at the back. 

Agree with this, Goldie or Dow to play left wing back, Scotty on the right 

On 17/04/2023 at 12:12, 1320Lichtie said:

If we stay up attacking players must be made the total priority. Our back 4 looks good to go again for another year and if Hetherington signs we will be strong in central midfield. 

Some months later...

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just give me a fucking left back. Honest to f**k how is Scott Stewart still there, surely the first priority when the window opened was one. 

Well it clearly wasn't your priority.  

9 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Some months later...

Well it clearly wasn't your priority.  

What you on about? Colin Hamilton still isn’t close to being fit, how was I supposed to know that in April?

And again, I meant the fact we had Gaston, ToB, Little and Hamilton and we shouldn’t be looking to replace any of them as they’re the best we could get. I stand by that, but if one of them is going to be out for as long as this it clearly needs sorted

We had a great defence last year considering but couldn’t score a goal or get up the park to save ourselves. The point is pretty fkn simple 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

On 18/04/2023 at 09:48, Smokerson said:

Defensive cover comes with Gold, Hetherington and Scott Stewart who can all play full back.  If one of the CBs is out, Hamilton has always moved to centre back.  Thomson is probably a bigger loss than any of those you mentioned as he could play RB and CB. 

Looking back on the posts at the time, there was also this inspired suggestion.  The fact is, that even when we had ZERO spare defenders in the squad, many people did not see defensive cover as a priority.  

Even after last Friday's disappointing result/performance I still think we have a stronger squad in which finished last season.

BUT getting a left back replacement for Hammy surely had to be a TOP priority as well as a couple of decent forwards/goalscorers (which we got).

The only other position i think we are short of is a defensive central midfielder (Chris Hamilton/Scott Martin/Craigen type player) in fact Hetherington would have done a good job in this position just a pity he chose Alloa over us.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.    

2 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Looking back on the posts at the time, there was also this inspired suggestion.  The fact is, that even when we had ZERO spare defenders in the squad, many people did not see defensive cover as a priority.  

You got nothing better to do apart from scroll through 4 month old posts just to have a dig at things that fans said that can now be nit picked at.

From the last two, you could say their thoughts are the exact same as the managements.

14 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

You got nothing better to do apart from scroll through 4 month old posts just to have a dig at things that fans said that can now be nit picked at.

From the last two, you could say their thoughts are the exact same as the managements.

In all honesty, I hold a small and petty grudge.  I felt that defence was a priority, and that we badly needed cover.  I said that at the time and was roundly mocked.  Fast forward a few months, and suddenly all these exact same people are saying that of course defence is a priority, and should have been a priority all along.

5 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

In all honesty, I hold a small and petty grudge.  I felt that defence was a priority, and that we badly needed cover.  I said that at the time and was roundly mocked.  Fast forward a few months, and suddenly all these exact same people are saying that of course defence is a priority, and should have been a priority all along.

😂

Grow up 

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Fair play for honesty. I disagreed with your assessment of Ricky being a “player in decline” not your call for signing defensive cover. 

And we could’ve had the best defence in the division this year but none of it would matter if we didn’t sign some good attacking players this season - you are greeting over the most trivial of things, it was clear what I meant 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

It's certainly becoming a problem, it does seem its being recognised, it may be that we have been waiting on this lad from Aberdeen then at the last minute either the player or Aberdeen have chosen Partick. Hopefully they have something else up their sleeve and its not all our eggs in once basket. 

11 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You're basically arguing with yourself, If we had Hetherington which looked likely then he would've played left back and we wouldnt have needed cover. 

Re Ngwenya. I do wonder if the Hancock loan last year may have swayed Aberdeen’s and the player’s decision. Hancock came in very highly rated having played a few first team games for Aberdeen only to be played out of position in a failing team. Wouldn’t do much for a young lad’s confidence to be thrown in to a team that will likely lose/struggle most weeks where he’ll possibly be open to criticism and confidence sapping results.

Maybe they think going to a side that will likely be challenging at the pointy end and as understudy to a quality player will be more of an education than possibly being run ragged every week.

Just a thought.