The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Agree Fraser was a very good speaker whereas Scott is more of an enthusiastic ‘yer da’ type fan and at times I find some of the things said very funny even if they are ridiculous, also gets proper into it like a supporter and excited at us scoring etc which is endearing and genuine. Guys doing it out his own time and I appreciate that.

During Covid everyone moaned about the commentators too but if people try and put themselves into their shoes, it would be a hard thing to do especially live. 

Highlights, camera work spot on now, what it’s like in Airdrie game should be standard and no zooming in or out like there had been. Replays and a wee bit more time to watch team celebrate after goals would be appreciated. 

I agree mostly and I prefer him to Clive Tyldesley.

Just a bit annoyed that Airdrie put out a better highlights package than we did using our own footage. 

Next week will be a tough test against an inform team but we definitely have confidence and match winners in the squad.

39 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

I agree mostly and I prefer him to Clive Tyldesley.

Just a bit annoyed that Airdrie put out a better highlights package than we did using our own footage. 

Next week will be a tough test against an inform team but we definitely have confidence and match winners in the squad.

Yeah it’s a good feeling having picked up points and knowing fine well that we can compete and will pick up results here and there for the most part this season - so going to the tougher places like Firhill or Tannadice or Starks this year will kind of feel more like a what have we got to lose type of game instead of being an occasion to absolutely dread.

Would be extremely happy with a point but on our day capable of 3 I would say, if things go right. That Thistle front 3 of Lawless, Graham and Fitzpatrick do look the business so it’ll be a tough game 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would be extremely happy with a point but on our day capable of 3 I would say, if things go right. That Thistle front 3 of Lawless, Graham and Fitzpatrick do look the business so it’ll be a tough game 

Be a stern test for our make shift defence. 

The amount of video footage and highlights packages on the Arbroath Archive is genuinely mind blowing - how you managed to pull all that together @SimonLichtie I have no idea. It’s an effort and a half that. Absolutely outstanding work

Players I remember pretending to be when I was little and kicking a ball about on the streets in full 4k on my phone screen. It really is a superb archive 

On 17/09/2023 at 20:47, DD11 said:

shockingly embarrassingly bad Arbroath commentator

Only thing shocking here is is that a local volunteer who has kindly given up his time is being subject to abuse - please think before posting, no need for these negative, personal comments. 

Edited by clashcityrocker

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The amount of video footage and highlights packages on the Arbroath Archive is genuinely mind blowing - how you managed to pull all that together @SimonLichtie I have no idea. It’s an effort and a half that. Absolutely outstanding work

Players I remember pretending to be when I was little and kicking a ball about on the streets in full 4k on my phone screen. It really is a superb archive 

As I previously mentioned, I hope I'll be able to get further highlights etc. in time.... unfortunately almost all the things I said I hoped to work on  in the weeks/ months after the archive was released have not come to fruition just yet, mainly as I've been focusing most of my time on pre world war 2 trialists both for and against us :lol:. It is a good use of my time, I'm sure we all agree :rolleyes: I'll still be working away on things for years to come I expect, but the vast majority won't be noticed due to them being either very historic or not really interesting to most people.... 

I'll try and bring myself to start the process of hopefully unearthing some additional highlights over the coming months ;) Ideally in a few years time we'll have the Arbroath Archive YouTube channel with all of our historic highlights that are spread over different places/ platforms currently, as well additional content we find along the way :)

12 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

God I wish we didn’t have that double header v QP the other week. They appear to have fallen off a cliff and we’ve found form but those games came too early for us.

They seem to have been completely figured out and their manager seems more focussed on trying to develop young players than he does trying to get results. We gave as good as we got against them at Gayfield in my opinion, a real moment of quality won that for them. Seems like a team full of kids with talent and potential, if Dom Thomas or Charlie Fox were to pick up a bad injury you’d imagine they’d find things tough. 

12 hours ago, ecto said:

Quick question, is our pitch small?

105m x 65m - wouldn’t say it was small 

Hard game today with a makeshift back 4 - looking through the squad I find it very impressive that we’ve built a team / squad without using the loan market. Feels very unusual.

Fingers crossed for a good result, if that does not happen then no need to panic - which is a nice feeling 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Its nice going into a game with enthusiasm!  Its also nice knowing that in Bird, McIntosh, McKenna and Hylton, we have multiple players that know where the goal is.  Was thinking about this last night, and in yet another mea culpa, I was one of those who was really critical of the decision to sell Shanks without giving him a chance.

Bird, McIntosh, Hylton and Turan are without a doubt an upgrade on Shanks.  Its almost like our management team know more about football management than me 

8 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its nice going into a game with enthusiasm!  Its also nice knowing that in Bird, McIntosh, McKenna and Hylton, we have multiple players that know where the goal is.  Was thinking about this last night, and in yet another mea culpa, I was one of those who was really critical of the decision to sell Shanks without giving him a chance.

Bird, McIntosh, Hylton and Turan are without a doubt an upgrade on Shanks.  Its almost like our management team know more about football management than me 

Shanks will have a good career in League 1 and 2 I think. It’ll be similar to and perhaps not quite as successful as what Hesters had. Think the guys you’ve mentioned have all definitely got more to their game, whether that’s physically with strength or speed or upstairs in their head. In some cases all apply.

If we were a L1 team would be happy to see us take Shanks back again.

14 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

God I wish we didn’t have that double header v QP the other week. They appear to have fallen off a cliff and we’ve found form but those games came too early for us.

Absolutely inevitable. It was a terrible decision to go for the double header. Could cost us promotion. 😉

Someone like Hylton, is who we should be giving the rumoured Allan type wages too. Guys 30 and has said he’s got a young child, living in Glasgow by the sound of it. Give the man a part time contract that’s comparable to full time wages in this division and get the man signed up 

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Someone like Hylton, is who we should be giving the rumoured Allan type wages too. Guys 30 and has said he’s got a young child, living in Glasgow by the sound of it. Give the man a part time contract that’s comparable to full time wages in this division and get the man signed up 

We should offer Hylton a good steady 3 year contract on good wages.  It sounds like he's a family man, so surely part time would be perfect for him!

Always thought we had the makings of a good team, fucking about with Scott Allan and McKenna in a midfield two in pre season / betfred and playing two up front was never going to work but since the first whistle of the QP home game has seen a quite remarkable turnaround. Not getting carried away but today felt like we were watching the team of two years ago again, possibly even better going forward. 

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Always thought we had the makings of a good team, fucking about with Scott Allan and McKenna in a midfield two in pre season / betfred and playing two up front was never going to work but since the first whistle of the QP home game has seen a quite remarkable turnaround. Not getting carried away but today felt like we were watching the team of two years ago again, possibly even better going forward. 

Absolutely with the previous weeks starting 11 with little in the team we have a great balance. Squad could be slightly more balanced but we have some really good players coming off the bench now unlike last season. Norey coming in today I was very unsure but from reports I’ve heard he was absolutely fine which I’m delighted about. Few key injuries and suspensions we could find ourself in bother but im starting to get vibes of the season 2 years ago with our results and performances.

Long may it continue smokies 🐟 🍷 🇱🇻 

edit: the way McKenna is playing  is very 2 years ago which is absolutely fucking brilliant too

Edited by SmokeyJoe