The Arbroath Thread

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Nobody is moving from Tampa to take charge of Arbroath - if they did I would seriously question their decision making and wouldn’t want him here 😂

Not heard Tam Courts either 

Imagine the press conference.

”Well aye Florida was alright I suppose - there was the weather, great lifestyle, fanstastic training facilities, working with top quality professionals, huge budget and massive salary but you know - the lure of a Marco’s mock chop supper and getting a Vauxhall Astra from Mackie Motors with my name on the side was far too good a deal to turn down. Can’t wait to get going and the cold, wet nights in Perth”.

14 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Imagine the press conference.

”Well aye Florida was alright I suppose - there was the weather, great lifestyle, fanstastic training facilities, working with top quality professionals, huge budget and massive salary but you know - the lure of a Marco’s mock chop supper and getting a Vauxhall Astra from Mackie Motors with my name on the side was far too good a deal to turn down. Can’t wait to get going and the cold, wet nights in Perth”.

Who the hell is picking Marco’s out of all the decent chippys in town? 

27 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Personally, as always I'm amazed by the number of "in the know" types.  Seems our club apparently leaks like a sieve.  Either that or everyone is making up things to make themselves feel special.

I know nothing, but am going to speculate the f**k out of this, until we appoint someone, then I’ll be delighted or disappointed 

Edited by ecto

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This would be amazing. David Gold gaffer and Bobby assistant. 😂

I have heard a name - someone who’s managed a big club in Scotland (didn’t do overly well at it mind you), is a young guy, someone that comes across to me as a good guy too and someone I could imagine would have very good contacts.

Would be all for it if it happened. 

Don't know if you have thrown me with the big club comment 😅😅

I'm unsure if I want it to be of of the names I've heard but if they bring in someone on there coaching team like a Linn or a Swankie who has a connection with the fans I'm sure most will get behind them,

I've thought about it a lot but it was 100% time for a change and hopefully a better brand of football, Gonna be a hard job for who ever gets it but they need to have the fans behind them and be given a fair chance to fix the clear issues 

11 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Don't know if you have thrown me with the big club comment 😅😅

I'm unsure if I want it to be of of the names I've heard but if they bring in someone on there coaching team like a Linn or a Swankie who has a connection with the fans I'm sure most will get behind them,

I've thought about it a lot but it was 100% time for a change and hopefully a better brand of football, Gonna be a hard job for who ever gets it but they need to have the fans behind them and be given a fair chance to fix the clear issues 

Definitely be a big Scottish club and name been mentioned on here already - hope we get something next week 

My gut feeling is that we will be relegated at the end of the season no matter who the new manager may be. That might not be a bad thing as there would probably be less pressure on the new manager by trying to win promotion, than by trying to stay in the Championship. He will need time to get to know the players and to get them to adapt to how he wants the game to be played. Most other Championship sides know how to play against our one dimensional football, which I hope the new manager will change. But it will always be a challenge for a part time side to become established in the Championship.

I have no idea who the new manager will be and some of the speculation on here is a bit wild, but you never know, just hope the board make a sound choice.

3 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

My gut feeling is that we will be relegated at the end of the season no matter who the new manager may be. That might not be a bad thing as there would probably be less pressure on the new manager by trying to win promotion, than by trying to stay in the Championship. He will need time to get to know the players and to get them to adapt to how he wants the game to be played. Most other Championship sides know how to play against our one dimensional football, which I hope the new manager will change. But it will always be a challenge for a part time side to become established in the Championship.

I have no idea who the new manager will be and some of the speculation on here is a bit wild, but you never know, just hope the board make a sound choice.

Eventually you’re luck runs out, we were really lucky to stay up last season, just don’t believe Cove or Hamilton were worse than we were at our worst, we were dreadful, if each season is just going to be a battle for survival, you can just imagine the quality of the football 

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Eventually you’re luck runs out, we were really lucky to stay up last season, just don’t believe Cove or Hamilton were worse than we were at our worst, we were dreadful, if each season is just going to be a battle for survival, you can just imagine the quality of the football 

We weren't too bad under McIntyre last season, competitive against the majority but were complete mince when Hartley came on board.

His signings combined with losing Fyvie from late December and Blair shortly after killed us. Still have horrible flashbacks to the Morton game in the dense fog last game of the season when we were 1-1 missing guilt edge chances and the 10 man away side scored through a 40 yard Muirhead wonder strike to put us down automatically on goal difference. 

Hopefully your new gaffer comes in soon and pulls you away from danger. It'll be a tough ask but by no means impossible. Caley have turned it around so could Arbroath. Next 4 games are crunch, 2 against teams around you and the other 2 at home. Clearly an important window upcoming too.

Hopefully we don't cross paths in the playoffs

2 hours ago, ecto said:

I wouldn't say we were lucky. We had more points than 2 other teams over a whole season and that is not luck. We were awful for a lot of games but managed to dig out some good draws. Wasn't good viewing for most of the game though.