The Arbroath Thread

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I feel Boruc has to do better with the goal after seeing that. 

He is unlucky. Clear moves left as probably expecting the shot going to left. Unsighted by Walker being in the way. And looks like a scuff shot by the way it bobbles along the ground.

We concede possesion from our own throw in, Reilly static at the sideline. Stewart not moving over to mark a player after his initial throw in. Both Teale and Little drop back rather than one attack the ball and pressure the player that get a free pass to the eventual scorer. Walker does ok but should have closed him down.

Generally too many players switching off leading to the goal.

12 hours ago, Fitbafan36 said:

If we are to go down - seems likely but we can dream - I just hope we go down swinging a little bit. 
I feel like it’s been years since I seen us play two strikers and a right winger. We don’t have much of a plan going forward ever if the big punt doesn’t work. 
Very frustrating but you can tell when we went 1 up that it’s a team who doesn’t have a lot of confidence. 

I understand the criticism of Robinson but half the long balls to him weren’t within 30 yards of him so was always going to be up against it. 

Nobody plays 2 up top, nobody, most teams play with a man in between, making a five, anyone who thinks we can play 2 up, with the central midfielders we have, is certifiable, tbf

we actually do have a wide right player, unfortunately, he was playing at centre half yesterday

The decision to play Robinson was interesting, to begin with, but turned out to be a disaster, I don’t see what some see in him, not championship standard, also he is not alone

Was concerned about our January signings, no sure any of them are better, than what we already had 

17 hours ago, JobbieSandwich said:

It all started going wrong with the quasi-hybrid system that was phased in from January 2022 when the likes of Michael Bakare and Sam Ford arrived.

The only people who have benefitted are the Booth Brothers - getting top dollar from the club to rent out their properties to the players which has basically bankrolled the building project out by Tarriebank.

I think what I enjoy about this conspiracy is the idea that our entire signing policy since 2022 has been about making a few grand from renting out flats.  "No Dick, dont sign those players, sign these two hybrid guys, one of our board members will clear 1500 quid a month from them".

"Yesss, lets up it, we'll sign another 3 substandard hybrid players, and get another 2 grand!"

What was Dick's role in this conspiracy to build the Meadowbank houses off the income raised by 5 short term lets?  Was he part of it, getting a cut of the action?  Did he oppose the signings?

As conspiracy theories go, this one is about as stupid as it gets.

The quasi-hybrid system was just 1 of many failings over the past 2 years. Ford and Bakare were simply stop gaps due to 5 sub rule coming in. Not some sort of momey making scheme.

Things that we have failed to do........

1. Poor scouting of trialists.

2. Previous management dismissing players in L1 and L2 as not good enough to play for us.

3. Lack of cover for key players and areas. Refusal to even consider it. hence starting the season with 3 fit defenders.

4. Limiting ourselves to 20 players and having so many central midfielders that the sqaud becomes unbalanced

Plus many more failings.

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

The quasi-hybrid system was just 1 of many failings over the past 2 years. Ford and Bakare were simply stop gaps due to 5 sub rule coming in. Not some sort of momey making scheme.

Things that we have failed to do........

1. Poor scouting of trialists.

2. Previous management dismissing players in L1 and L2 as not good enough to play for us.

3. Lack of cover for key players and areas. Refusal to even consider it. hence starting the season with 3 fit defenders.

4. Limiting ourselves to 20 players and having so many central midfielders that the sqaud becomes unbalanced

Plus many more failings.

There was also a weakness at board level, I know Campbell said he would walk if he sensed board interference, they possibly should have tested this, either with the obvious lack of defensive cover, his obsession with small centre mids or the decision to re-sign Jacobs

4 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Agree with everything you say 100%, what baffled me is when we went on our run to nearly being promoted, all signings were pretty much from league 1/2, Dicks initial successes with the club, is when he was grabbing guys from down the leagues, almost all of the team he put together in the first 4-5 years were players from those leagues and it worked well.

Not sure why he changed that approach, i know more cash came in etc, but it was working very well.

When Pink came away with the nonsense about players in the lower leagues not being good enough, I really started to think they were losing the place. It seems we moved from a long term transfer strategy, signing the best part time players who already had decent jobs outside football and would wish to remain part time, to a short term one where we sign guys looking to prove themselves and get a move off the back of their time here. Obviously 1 or 2 players like that is fine, that's football, but it feels we have totally neglected the core of the squad, filling it with punts from afar who are away as soon as they are here.

In our 3 week lay off I watched a bit of Junior football. There are boys in that level who are definitely better than some we have recently brought in. 
There will have to be a massive rebuild in the summer whatever happens with our league status. We have very few signed beyond this season or likely to be resigned. I suspect that Jim is already eyeing up some good part timers from the lower tiers.

Usually by this point we have announced a number of players signing new contracts or already have a dozen or so contracted already.

Currently we have 6.

Walker, Steele, ToB, Gold, Stowe and McIntosh.

Big rebuild regardless if we resign anyone.

Just watched the highlights from Arbroath and for the umpteenth time this season there are key moments / talking points from the game not included and it’s dire. 
ICT are going mad about a Mackinnon tackle - not in the highlights.                      Foul on Hammy that meant he had to go off and had the crowd going mental - not in the highlights. 
potential foul on Ryan Dow on the edge of the penalty area and would have seen their boy sent off - not included. As well as the chance right at the end. I just find it a bit annoying that these details you look forward to seeing again aren’t included because of a reason I’m not so sure of?
Also surely you have no idea what’s going on if you’re listening to the audio commentary?! It’s so poor and surely the club know it. Don't like to criticise people giving their time to the club but it is really really hard to listen to that highlight commentary (or actual commentary if it’s a midweek stream) 

Shame but thats football for you. He was clearly signed as a cheap option under DC rather than a serious backup for Gaston. A career mostly spent in the 5th/6th tier.

Hopefully he can a decent loan move to a  L1 or L2 club. Put himself in the shop window for a deal.

His goal will go down in legend thats for sure.

Dick has made a career of taking teams in the doldrums and improving them. Look at his record with Brechin,Forfar and us as an example. He will likely do the same at East Fife. The problem seems that he reaches a certain level and then the ideas run out and he leaves under a cloud. He used his knowledge of the lower leagues to get the best part time players but the last two seasons he had signed most of the best part time players and he had to rely on unknown players from the lower English leagues and with a few exceptions they have been failures. Being the only part time team in this league, we are fishing in a limited pool unlike the full time sides. 

4 hours ago, Fitbafan36 said:

Also surely you have no idea what’s going on if you’re listening to the audio commentary?! It’s so poor and surely the club know it. Don't like to criticise people giving their time to the club but it is really really hard to listen to that highlight commentary (or actual commentary if it’s a midweek stream) 

Move abroad* and buy the stream through a VPN. You can always turn the sound off. 

Personally, I prefer to swear at every mention of "Dawn French" or "Beans on Toast". It takes my mind off the score, and at least I'm still contributing toward the club's financws

*Abroad is wherever your computer appears to be located outside the UK