The Arbroath Thread

I am astounded  to hear some Red Lichtie fans on here saying Ryan McCord should probably be let go because of his "fitness".

So what if he is not an athlete he can put a through ball or see a pass the majority of out players can only dream about, he must have one of the best assists % at the club plus he has scored 9 league (I think) goals this season, he is a class act and we do not have another player like him at the club and i do not believe that you cannot play him and Swanks in the same team, get runners around Pongo and let him dictate in his area, against Airdrie in the last 20 minutes Pongo put through 3 fantastic passes that we really should have scored off of.

Yes he could be fitter but you can see it now he goes to a rival Angus club it is 0-0 going into the last minute and they get a free kick 25 yards from goal and up steps Pongo...................

Agree with this wholeheartedly, in many games this season , Saturday included , we have resorted to playing hoof ball from the back , partly I believe because we don’t have anyone in midfield who is prepared to take the ball from our centre halves , McCord is the option required , anyway congratulations to all players and staff for giving us another great season , and a wee message for DC , please please please next season do away with ZONEAL marking [emoji846]

Agree with this wholeheartedly, in many games this season , Saturday included , we have resorted to playing hoof ball from the back , partly I believe because we don’t have anyone in midfield who is prepared to take the ball from our centre halves , McCord is the option required , anyway congratulations to all players and staff for giving us another great season , and a wee message for DC , please please please next season do away with ZONEAL marking [emoji846]

Not like Dick to revert his sides to playing hoof ball, [emoji102]

Not like Dick to revert his sides to playing hoof ball, [emoji102]

He’s moved on, let it go

See we’ve been linked with Galt because of his supposed twitter activity. Can’t seem to see it myself though for some reason, looks like he just follows Bobby Linn along with another hunner players or am I missing something?

He’s moved on, let it go

See we’ve been linked with Galt because of his supposed twitter activity. Can’t seem to see it myself though for some reason, looks like he just follows Bobby Linn along with another hunner players or am I missing something?

Believe they play Futsal together

Agree with most of what’s been said. I’d let go 

Skelly, McCord, Gomes, Hutton and Kader and would sign all the others who are out of contract. Probably next to no chance of Martin returning so Dick should be able to bring in 5 or 6 fresh faces. 

I would say I trust Dick in terms of recruitment although for every Tam O’Brien there’s been a Gary Philips and for every Michael McKenna there’s been an Eddie Ferns.

Skelly, McCord, Gomes, Hutton and Kader and would sign all the others who are out of contract. Probably next to no chance of Martin returning so Dick should be able to bring in 5 or 6 fresh faces. 
I would say I trust Dick in terms of recruitment although for every Tam O’Brien there’s been a Gary Philips and for every Michael McKenna there’s been an Eddie Ferns.

I shudder when remembering just how bad Eddie Fearns was. Fast but shit would describe him perfectly

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Agree with this except I would retain Gomes and free Kane Hester  who lacks body strength to ward off tackles. Possibly might also let McIntosh go.

If Gomes is happy to stay make him number 1. If he wants to go Hutton number 2 and another keeper. I like Hutton but I don’t think he commands his box well enough or is confident in coming out for crosses.

If we want to win the league or the play offs then none of Gomes or Hutton are good enough. As Simon said the other day none of them command their box enough.

Dick has to be looking at an all round accomplished goalkeeper, it’s a position he’s not got quite right. He wasn’t keen on Fleming, then tried the young lad from Aberdeen who was rotten, Gomes did ok at times and don’t get me started on Hutton .

5 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

If we want to win the league or the play offs then none of Gomes or Hutton are good enough. As Simon said the other day none of them command their box enough.

Dick has to be looking at an all round accomplished goalkeeper, it’s a position he’s not got quite right. He wasn’t keen on Fleming, then tried the young lad from Aberdeen who was rotten, Gomes did ok at times and don’t get me started on Hutton .

I obviously agree with this..... as we aim to progress, we need to look at the positions that we struggled in this season and how we can improve. For me, the following cost us points:

Lack of keeper commanding the box. It's a difficult one in a sense, because Davie Hutton gained us points this season by making some superb saves in some games, but I feel he cost us more with some howlers/ inability to command his box. As I said previously, weighing it up this is a position we can improve in, and need to if we want to better the season we've just had.

Defensive cover. We all saw it a mile off, and it was painful that we never brought in proper defensive cover. David Gold had a poor run of games in the last third of the season when introduced, Mark Whatley showed against Queen's Park why he is never a right back (similar to Edinburgh City away the previous season) as he got skinned multiple times and promptly hooked by Dick for this. He lacks the pace to play as a full back, and I also feel his lack of pace really hinders him in the middle of the park but that's a different story. Blair Yule has been the best 'filler' player we've had at the back, playing right back, left back and in the centre and doing well, but we need him in the centre of the park a lot of the time and he is no-where near physical enough to play centre back for any length of time. We've only had 3 recognised defenders at the club all season, and we can't afford to run with that again next year; having only one left sided defender hugely hinders us, as it means Hammy has no competition for his place and it leaves us no option to play him central in a back 4.

Additional wide player. The stats don't lie, and in games where we've not had Bobby Linn/ Danny Denholm on the park we've massively struggled to create chances, and it affects the whole shape of the team with strikers ending up dropping wide leaving us with no-one in the box. To better ourselves, we need to have another wide option so we have 3 quality wide men who can all take on a full back, beat them and create chances. As we saw this season, there will be times with one/ both of them are struggling for form, or struggling for fitness and we need to have another option that can change a game/ add some spark when we're not creating anything.

For me, the priorities in terms of in's has to be keeper x 2, at least one further defender who can play on the left side, a central midfielder to replace Scott Martin and another wide man. Those 5, assuming Pongo will be away and Doris will stay, will take us up to a squad of 19 and if they're of the standard we need leave us in a very good position with the loan market also there to use if we're struggling at all.

I hope McCord stays at the club. I've always liked players who can play the game with a bit of skill and flair, who can see how to open a defence, can read the game and see a move ahead and doesn't need to run about all over the pitch. Don't see many of them at this level but McCord is one and he can chip in with a goal or two.

Wouldn't blame him if he does move on to a club where he can get a regular start, but I'd rather see him stay and get more game time next season.

I hope McCord stays at the club. I've always liked players who can play the game with a bit of skill and flair, who can see how to open a defence, can read the game and see a move ahead and doesn't need to run about all over the pitch. Don't see many of them at this level but McCord is one and he can chip in with a goal or two.
Wouldn't blame him if he does move on to a club where he can get a regular start, but I'd rather see him stay and get more game time next season.

Iv heard from a pretty reliable source he told Dick he won’t be back next season