The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, Gayfield said:

Arbroath vs Kilmarnock - New Date

Our cinch Scottish Championship fixture at home to Kilmarnock has been brought forward a day from Saturday 25th September to Friday 24th September with the match to be shown live on BBC Scotland with a 7.45pm kick off.

Lost revenue for the club. 

On 17/08/2021 at 12:46, JoseMarooniho said:

I’m hoping Dowds does well. We need a striker and aren’t the only ones looking. Also I thought Paterson grew into the game on Sunday and I’m looking forward to seeing more of him.

Was surprised to see all the discussion of Dowds as a striker, even though that’s where Falkirk’s been trying to play him. At East Fife he was much more of a second striker/attacking mid when we saw him. He was energetic and certainly helped tie the mid and forward lines together, and generally was delivering the ball forward versus receiving the ball to shoot.

I expected Falkirk to use him in a SS role, aiding their struggling midfield, and adding energy and drive much like Gomis did for them. Not sure if that’s you lots plan or if it’s gonna be put him up top…honestly, I hope that’s your plan when you face us.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Was surprised to see all the discussion of Dowds as a striker, even though that’s where Falkirk’s been trying to play him. At East Fife he was much more of a second striker/attacking mid when we saw him. He was energetic and certainly helped tie the mid and forward lines together, and generally was delivering the ball forward versus receiving the ball to shoot.

I expected Falkirk to use him in a SS role, aiding their struggling midfield, and adding energy and drive much like Gomis did for them. Not sure if that’s you lots plan or if it’s gonna be put him up top…honestly, I hope that’s your plan when you face us.

TBF to him he wasn't in the box that much with us he seemed to like getting the ball played into him to hold it up, get turned and run with it ( usually ran into traffic and lost possession or fell on his arse.) Or try and lay it off. He's guff in the air. Campbell might get the best out him but he's past the "potential" stage. Now or never for him, he reminds me a bit of Sammon but with less pace and touch. 

TBF to him he wasn't in the box that much with us he seemed to like getting the ball played into him to hold it up, get turned and run with it ( usually ran into traffic and lost possession or fell on his arse.) Or try and lay it off. He's guff in the air. Campbell might get the best out him but he's past the "potential" stage. Now or never for him, he reminds me a bit of Sammon but with less pace and touch. 

I think he will benefit from playing with a better team this year. Falkirk were very poor last year.

43 minutes ago, erty13 said:

I think he will benefit from playing with a better team this year. Falkirk were very poor last year.

Don't disagree there, but we are a different animal this season, quick ball on the deck passing with faster players middle to front. Sadly Dowds doesn't fit into that style. 

19 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Don't disagree there, but we are a different animal this season, quick ball on the deck passing with faster players middle to front. Sadly Dowds doesn't fit into that style. 

It’s interesting that he doesn’t fit into that scheme, as it would seem to be tailor made for him to carry the ball forward and then deliver it into harms way…but, again, that’s simply from seeing him a couple of years ago with East Fife, and it seems his time with Falkirk has been a lost couple of years.

Huge respect for David Gold.

I knew he ran training camps for youngsters but didn't know just how much he and his team put into helping youngsters from all sorts of backgrounds, including troubled young people, through his training camps. Although primarily football based the camps encourage young people to gain self confidence and see the benefits of teamwork.

Fully deserved winning the Nationwide Mutual Respect Award.

Huge respect for David Gold.
I knew he ran training camps for youngsters but didn't know just how much he and his team put into helping youngsters from all sorts of backgrounds, including troubled young people, through his training camps. Although primarily football based the camps encourage young people to gain self confidence and see the benefits of teamwork.
Fully deserved winning the Nationwide Mutual Respect Award.

What a bloke & servant for the club. Definitely never thought he’d end up playing 200+ games for us either but testament to his attitude and versatility that he has.