Partick Thistle vs Inverness CT - 13/09/14

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An entertaining game of football for this neutral; well-contested in the first half, slower in the second, but of a quality much better than what I'm used to.

The league leaders, whom I was looking forward to seeing, started as I expected them to. They looked stronger and more composed, created chances left, right and centre and until they got the goal it was one-way traffic. Great team play throughout the first half; how they didn't manage to bury at least another of those chances I don't know.

Even then I thought it wouldn't matter; Caley were well-organised and I couldn't see them being troubled. I definitely didn't predict the manner of the goals conceded- two in quick succession within ten minutes of the opener. It was great to see ex-Rover Stevie Lawless clinical when he got his chance, but I can't help but think the defending was slack from Shinnie. The second was a great header from Osman, his marker didn't time his jump well, but even if he had I don't think he'd have come near the big man. Good comeback from Partick, by half time it was job done.

A few yellow card-based talking points: I would contend the ref's decision not to book Higginbotham in the first half for persistent fouling- he and Stevenson were particularly unsportsmanly, which I never like to see. Ross Draper started the game like a man of the match contender but was a different player after his early-ish booking. Marley Watkins' elbow on official MOTM Seaborne looked accidental but was probably worthy of a yellow.

Anyway, in the second half Partick coasted it. The ICT heads went down quickly, they sat back too long, the subs were ineffective and the third goal for PT was inevitable. It came from a lovely piece of play from Lawless, with a great finish from Higginbotham. Doolan kept working all afternoon and I thought he deserved a goal, but when he got the golden chance his penalty wasn't great.

His opponent, Brill, was probably my favourite player on the park. I'm a big admirer of the guy and it was a privilege to watch him play. He controlled everything, and it took some good finishes to beat him. The stand-out player for Partick Thistle was big Seaborne- after some great chances in the final third early on ICT were starved out and he was probably the difference.

Very impressive from the hosts- at the beginning ICT looked like they were going to jog to victory but Partick absorbed them, frustrated them and eventually outplayed them. Also shouts to the excellent condition of the pitch and choice of playlist on the Tannoy.

Not a fantastic performance but a welcome three points.

Seabo and McMillan did well.

I thought Doolan had a poor day despite winning the penalty that he trundled back to Brill.

Another shite crowd, attendance wise but I guess some minds( and bodies) were elsewhere...

Well... that was nice. Unexpected but I now expect us to lose to St Mirren in typical Thistle fashion.

Seaborne was excellent bar his little hissy fit over his cut eye. Everything you could really ask for in a centre back really. Higgy had a very good game imho and Lawless despite losing out on every physical challenge going did well. Fair credit for him pushing back into the team. Also Stevenson in midfield and Doolan really is the obvious answer clearly, even with a lack of strikers on the bench it's the correct option.

Inverness at points played like a proper team and looked really good, the first 15 minutes in particular we looked like we were heading towards a defeat. However they lost possession a tad too easily and a more clinical team would've punished them for those mistakes.

Easy to say with hindsight, but I wasn't even that mad when they scored. It was a good, quick passing move with a solid finish, and not all that much we could do about it (on first and only viewing to be fair). We were still posing a threat, although I'm surprised they were daft enough to let Lawless in on his left foot, which is really the whole point of his game.

Balatoni benefits from playing with Seaborne, we really need to keep him fit throughout the season. Our midfield were really good at shutting them down in the final third, surprisingly Bannigan did just as well as Osman in this regard IMO. Doolan played intricate parts in a lot of our attacks, including the tackle that led to the first goal. We have no one else in the team as intelligent as him and who moves as well to create space, it's a mystery why he hasn't played thus far but that should be him in a starting slot now.

I feared the worst about this game and the next couple of months with Fraser's injury, but on today's evidence it might not be all that big a blow as long as we can keep Seaborne and Osman in the side. Looking forward to next Friday now, hopefully it should be the week to end all weeks.

I don't know if I'm getting ideas above my station but I thought we were absolutely bollocks for 70 minutes until it went 3-1 and if Billy McKay had known where the goal was we'd have had a hell of a shafting.

We weren't in the game at all until our goal and when we scored 2 in 4 minutes we sat back so far it was painful until the third when we ran away with it. Carroll isnt the answer at all. Higgy was standout although Seaborne was also good.

Ref was comical, decided to let the first half descend into a kickfest. We were lucky in that Higgy could have been booked or sent off and Stevo should have been booked but Draper could have been off and #5 should have been booked as well. But Bad Luck banzo gets booked for an innocuous foul. I thought our penalty was a bit soft but not a bad one to get a 3-1 up.

The ICT #15 was a c**t, stood on Higgy after a foul, got booked, then slung an elbow into Seaborne, you could tell Danny was raging with the ref.

Still, let's sit back and watch this on Alba with a smile on my face :-)

Archived