Partick Thistle vs Inverness CT - 13/09/14

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much nailed it.

Really good and fair review.

The opener was an absolutely lovely bit of team football; the equaliser was really well created by Lawless, but he seemed to have no-one near him when the ball came to him; and Osman's goal to make it 2-1 was a cracking header, but again I'd have hoped we could put more pressure on him as the corner came in.

It was inevitable we were going to start making mistakes and conceding this season; the frustrating thing was that we didn't really ever look like scoring or even controlling play in the second half. Lots of possession, but no real imagination in the final third. Mckay looked isolated, Christie and Doran had nice touches but little end product, and Watkins was the only player that really posed a threat. Clinical third from Partick while we were fannying around, and in the end it might have been worse.

Games like this happen. Not too worried, assuming Hughes can diagnose why we couldn't respond and sort it out. Could do with better defending at Ibrox on Tuesday though.

ThistleICT218.jpg

Ooft Seaborne wasn't too happy with the ref about the elbow to the head he received.

No wonder, it's clearly taken off a big chunk of his hair.

We were alright. 7 points ahead of County and St. Mirren already...I'm pretty pleased with that.

Higginbotham was far from shite. He gave Raven a roasting. Excellent player.

You don't need to see everything as a bite Reid. Higginbotham is usually excellent but was shite today.

ETA- any player who doesn't give Raven a roasting shouldn't be a professional footballer

Interesting that we beat the league leaders 3-1, miss a pen and I still feel disappointed.

I don't know if it's a combination of the postponed Celtic game and the international game, but we are far from up to pace. Our passing was slow, really slow at times.

I can understand why we have Carroll, he's similar to Sinclair, but a Sinclair of 2 or 3 years ago. Worth noting that him coming inside might be a game plan, it's just that Higgy didn't cover for him enough. As on the right, Mcmillan drops inside and Lawless comes back to cover. Hence the introduction of Elliott late on.

whilst Seaborne is commanding, his clearing headers are piss poor and at least 7 landed at a Caly player. But again, our manager might be telling him, just get it clear, it's the midfields job to get on top of the second ball. Which we did well.

As much as I love Pantofola boots, big Conrad needs to change them, like a lot of players he spent a lot of time on his arse.

Osman and Banzo were solid together, both really getting in about it. Banzo his usual self, including a bloody stupid booking.

Stevenson, jury is still out, he was more effective behind the striker, but Craigan was head n shoulders above him, when he came on. I hope he comes good as on form he is one of the best midfielders in the league.

Higgy was outstanding. Tam Cowan later on described him as the best "footballer" in the league. It's hard to argue with that.

Lawless had a strange game. Scored one, set up one, but they were the only two occasions he actually beat his man in the whole game. 5 times in the first and 3 times in the second, he just ran into their full backs and they just brushed him aside.

Doolan looked like he's just short of match fitness, but then again, the vast majority of his work was done outside the box. I'd be surprised if any player hits a worse penalty in Scotland this seasons from the NS it was obvious he should be going to the keepers left.

Away from the game, interesting to note the Bing end missing the advertising, is this due to the latest Firhill Developments news. By the way, the Trust have a 10% share in the club! the Club has a 50% share in the bing and main stand development, so time for the trust to get involved.

Also noted the new sponsor across the main stand roof, one of our director's company's. Are we that shit at finding sponsors, we have to rely on directors to fill one of the best advertising spaces in the ground?

Also, who is the new logo on the headrests in the dugout? Not BCCS, as it was last season. So is our charity of the year actually getting any financial help, of note, from the away strip?

Hats off to G4S who again stewarded at arms length in the north stand. Night and day from last season. Keep up the good work.

I also thought Craigen was different class when he came on, alright the game was won and Inverness were tired, but I've always hated seeing him played in a defensive roll, he's a good attacking midfielder, he is a bit similar to Mesut Ozil, but better.

A really strange game - we've won it 3-1, but there were moments at the back where we looked like we were doing our level best to concede a goal. The whole passage of play with Seabourne's unnecessary pass-back first half, Fox taking up a weird body position then mercifully having the composure to not shite himself (composure not shared by myself) was nuts, the amount of space at the back for the ICT goal was ridiculous, and there were a fair few hairy moments.

But on the other hand, going forward we were very, very, very good at times, Lawless scored a cracking equaliser, Osman (who was great, that tackle second half where he hurt himself a bit to set up a counter which we messed up by taking FOREVERANDEVERANDEVER to pass the ball was brilliant) scored a cracking goal to put us ahead, and Higgy's goal was a controlled foot bazooka.

The steak and ale pies are fantastic - was in the JHS, and my only complaint is that it was hotter than the sun, had to wait about 15 minutes before I could eat the thing! A vast improvement on last year, though. Haven't had the scotch pies but the friend I was with said they're pretty shit, which would surprise me tbh.

edit: I'd like another look at that tackle first half from Draper - didn't look like he was in control of it from where I was, thought it could easily have been a red but the ref was pretty lenient throughout.

Archived