All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Old people die before young people. So, unless you want a dressing-room full of corpses, a young team is better.

Just think how happy Geoff and Steve would be if they could field zombies tho (and I'm not meaning MOH) - the tight fisted c***s wouldn't ever have to pay a signing fee again

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread but there is the possibility Hartley may end up as manager at Falkirk. What's your thoughts on that, would it be a good move? His strengths/weaknesses etc

I was quite critical of Hartley at times and thought the board were 100% correct in replacing him.  Having said that I think he would do a good job for Falkirk in the Championship.  

I think his main strength was getting the most out of mainly average players when things were going well.  I think his biggest fault was not reading a game and making the required changes as the game progressed.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread but there is the possibility Hartley may end up as manager at Falkirk. What's your thoughts on that, would it be a good move? His strengths/weaknesses etc

Look forward to bombscare centre halves, a dozen shite midget midfielders, 1/2 a dozen wingers despite the fact he doesn’t believe in them and no strikers. Plus everybody he signs will have a record of serious injury, his father in law will be his assistant and he looks like a tramp. He’s also fond of a project - a totally unknown foreigner from the Kazakhstan amateur leagues, been sacked from your club for being a complete bellend, been out the game for 9 months with a fucked knee? Welcome to Falkirk. Oh and everybody will be on 3 year watertight contracts, except any good players with potential, he lets their contracts run down. Finally he doesn’t believe in the players being physically fit.

Good luck.

24 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Look forward to bombscare centre halves, a dozen shite midget midfielders, 1/2 a dozen wingers despite the fact he doesn’t believe in them and no strikers. Plus everybody he signs will have a record of serious injury, his father in law will be his assistant and he looks like a tramp. He’s also fond of a project - a totally unknown foreigner from the Kazakhstan amateur leagues, been sacked from your club for being a complete bellend, been out the game for 9 months with a fucked knee? Welcome to Falkirk. Oh and everybody will be on 3 year watertight contracts, except any good players with potential, he lets their contracts run down. Finally he doesn’t believe in the players being physically fit.

Good luck.

And he's very stubborn.

Thank you.

Hartley was a cracking manager for us until his final season. His eye for a player was extremely good and even the dud signings that he made, you could understand why he originally made them. He built Dundee, bit by bit into a Premier League side. He took us on when Bomber had confessed that he didn't believe he'd get us up and Hartley took over and won the league. He brought in some of our finest players in years.

And then...then it all went wrong. Our final season under Hartley was a complete and utter disaster. His signings were ridiculously poor, tied to long contracts and the football slowly became very negative. We kept losing and losing and losing and it began to look like Hartley didn't have a clue what he was doing. It can be argued that it's not his fault that we lost Stewart, McGinn, Hemmings and Harkins (Although his removal is still shrouded in mystery) were not his fault but to replace them with the likes of Danny Williams, James Vincent and Yordi Tiejesse was just downright criminal. His game management left a lot to be desired and in the end, he should have been sacked earlier than he was.

Pre-season would be exciting to be a Falkirk fan as irregardless of quality, Hartley would just punt the lot and build his own team like he done with ourselves and Alloa before us. Expect some heavy defeats and narrow wins. Expect to have the most stubborn man in football as your manager. Finally, expect to have the most hardworking manager in Scottish football as well. For all Hartley's faults, he used to attend about 5-6 games per week as he insisted on being the scout as well at the club. He attended every single U20's game we played, he'd go down South midweek and if there were games on when Dundee weren't playing, he'd attend games at the weekend too, sometimes more than 1 if he was able to travel and still make it.

Say goodbye to Rory Loy.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I kind of agree with you... I don't think he was ever that good but he was a huge improvement over what we'd had up til then.

His workrate was immense but I think that was actually an issue in the end since he really should have been able to delegate scouting and the like to dedicated scouts and focus his energy on whats important for a manager.

His choice of player was wildly hit or miss but his first few seasons he found a few gems but he also picked up utter shite like Phil Roberts and laterly Tom fucking Hateley...

+

His supposed stubborness/attitude issues were meant to be the reason for the obvious rift that appeared in the team which ultimately comes down to man management for me since we went from a good tight squad to having a group that all wanted away for whatever reasons (Bain, Stewart, Hemmings, McGinn and Loy) and our fan favourite Harkins forced out of the club...