All things Dundee FC

You could see McGhee likes a run up the pitch from the CB position whenever he gets the chance, so the role of the box-to-box MF will surely appeal to him. Hopefully he can do well in that position and help strengthen us at both ends, he has the talent to do it.

I'm not really a fan of having shite and slow CH's so we will take the best of the lot out the equation but here we are and we will see how it goes. 

Incredibly unbalanced squad. Even just having some sort of semblance of shape would have us further up the table in this league. No matter if the players were inferior. 

I've been saying for at least 12 months that the biggest problem with this side is that the entire midfield is completely ponderous and one-paced. Says it all that at 34, going on 35 year old Charlie Adam, never a player known for his athleticism and dynamic engine, is playing the full 90 every week and looks just as mobile and athletic as any of his midfield colleagues. 

If we had a bit more dig, a bit more movement, and somebody able to run beyond the forwards regularly, then I think it would go a long way towards opening up everything else, creating more chances, and perhaps our strikers would actually score a few more.

I agree that a better manager would be getting more out of the squad as it is already, but I do think that the problem isn't just a glut of central midfielders, it's a glut of central midfielders who are all pretty much the same, i.e. steady plodders but no real runners. It was exactly the same when we were trying to find a midfield that worked around Dorrans. 

As far as McDaid is concerned you’d like to think our management and coaching staff are constantly in his ear to add a bit of variety to his game. It appears whenever he gets the ball he’s just trying to beat the fullback that more often than not see’s him closed down or running straight into the defender 🤷🏼‍♂️ A simple ball inside or backwards to keep possession or open up the play needs to come into his game to keep the defender guessing. Last season he was decent, this season so far he’d be getting punted at the end of the season.  

Edited by Yenitit

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

As far as McDaid is concerned you’d like to think our management and coaching staff are constantly in his ear to add a bit of variety to his game. It appears whenever he gets the ball he’s just trying to beat the fullback that more often than not see’s him closed down or running straight into the defender 🤷🏼‍♂️ A simple ball inside or backwards to keep possession or open up the play needs to come into his game to keep the defender guessing. 

He's fannying around in gloves and pink boots. No hope. IMO.

17 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

He's fannying around in gloves and pink boots. No hope. IMO.

I can accept the boots and gloves, tbh. The simmering turned into a full boil when he rocked up with that fucking hair. 

An embarrassment, he has to go. 

I don’t mind McDaid to be honest. At the moment he’s frustrating as f**k to watch because he’s all stepovers but doesn’t take anyone on. Last season he was comfortably our best player at times. He just needs to get back to getting at defenders and taking them on. 

it’s a similar issue to our goalkeepers, we buy promising wingers (eg Deacon), they start off really well, being positive and then all of a sudden just stop taking players on. No point having wingers who aren’t willing to run at people. McDaid has potential as he’s shown at times so I wouldn’t be too rash in getting rid. 

He does need to step it up though.

After making his debut against Lille in Europe, Conor Hazard picked up the phone and rang the club to give thanks for helping him in his development. Class guy, hope he starts and does well in the Cup final.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1815262/dundee-boss-james-mcpake-reveals-class-act-from-conor-hazard-as-he-backs-former-loanee-to-shine-for-celtic-in-sundays-scottish-cup-final/

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Class thing to do.

We've had Jack Hamilton blinding our eyes for a few seasons now so my judgement on keepers might be clouded.  Whilst I hope Hazard makes it (He certainly has the physical attributes in terms of size) he's not much better than a mid-table Championship keeper, no?

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

After making his debut against Lille in Europe, Conor Hazard picked up the phone and rang the club to give thanks for helping him in his development. Class guy, hope he starts and does well in the Cup final.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1815262/dundee-boss-james-mcpake-reveals-class-act-from-conor-hazard-as-he-backs-former-loanee-to-shine-for-celtic-in-sundays-scottish-cup-final/

f**k that. Hope the b*****ds get pumped and Hazard has a shocker.

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I've been saying for at least 12 months that the biggest problem with this side is that the entire midfield is completely ponderous and one-paced. Says it all that at 34, going on 35 year old Charlie Adam, never a player known for his athleticism and dynamic engine, is playing the full 90 every week and looks just as mobile and athletic as any of his midfield colleagues. 

If we had a bit more dig, a bit more movement, and somebody able to run beyond the forwards regularly, then I think it would go a long way towards opening up everything else, creating more chances, and perhaps our strikers would actually score a few more.

I agree that a better manager would be getting more out of the squad as it is already, but I do think that the problem isn't just a glut of central midfielders, it's a glut of central midfielders who are all pretty much the same, i.e. steady plodders but no real runners. It was exactly the same when we were trying to find a midfield that worked around Dorrans. 

The balance of the team is awful. Midfield is shite. Shite at defending and when it comes to attack they ain't the best.

Negativity is my favourite when positing on this thread. Miss the bonetti times ( all be it i was younger ) but was a good time in my life. 

7 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Backwards ... Freddie use to love doing this. Kerr has now taken that role.

Not every single time tho. You’d just show Cammy down the line because he’s very rarely going to go that way and probably more rarely put in a decent ball. God knows what’s happened to that aspect of his game because he was very good at it for the 1st 18 months after he broke into the team. 

Edited by Yenitit