All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

How many games do you have to play before you become a club legend??

Gowzer is currently on 227 With cammy behind him on 169

should gowzer get a testimonial soon as is common in football nowadays?

Isn't it 10 years at a club for a testimonial?

On 08/12/2020 at 15:22, Boo Khaki said:

No idea why so many Dees think McCann would have kept us up. The origins of that shambles of a season were entirely down to him. Pulled a mini-Claude Anelka by signing a load of utter tripe from foreign lower leagues who immediately proved out of their depth.

A good example of why stats alone miss a lot of context that make successful signings.

I'm no fan of McCann, but looking back, a lot of his signings had played well beforehand and were worth a punt, on paper.

Guess the problem was maybe he took too many punts, and he didn't factor in them not settling/working together. Tbf to him, that's a lesson you probably learn as a manager, and no before.

57 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Isn't it 10 years at a club for a testimonial?

Usually it is but it’s also he’s been with the club since 2014, and at 33 I imagine he’ll be here for another 2 playing years possibly more as a coach that’s pretty great considering today’s footballers being more mercenary than loyal

@RandomGuy.

That's fair enough, but I honestly think he suffers a bit from naively assuming that naturally able footballers = good and successful football. I put it down to him having been a naturally gifted player himself. John Collins has a lot of the same vibe about him. I think they sometimes fall into the trap of not only thinking all players should be capable of what they were themselves, but also in McCann's case he saw players with decent innate ability, and it clouded his judgement on whether they really had what was needed to be a success in Scotland with the type of football we play here. I don't think it's a coincidence that his teams were lightweight and got bullied.

You can carry a couple of 'luxury' players in a side usually, but if you have 3,4 or more guys who won't put in the graft, don't want to get dirty, or simply aren't physically robust enough, the whole side will struggle, no matter how classy and capable those players are on the ball. McCann sometimes got it right in judging a player, to be fair to him, but his overall vision and approach just wasn't realistic with regard to what is needed to be a success in the Scottish top flight. Even our current side is still a bit lightweight and pedestrian, and while that's clearly nothing to do with McCann, it is a part of the reason why we're struggling against teams with a fraction of our budget.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Big Rab believes we'll be better without Dorrans, something which I think we considered after he suddenly left, as Gowser now has space on the pitch and a freedom to properly distribute the ball. Also suggesting again that Fin should maybe go out on loan, something that before we would've scoffed at but now with his lack of playing time should we give some consideration to?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/rab-douglas/1799398/rab-douglas-paul-mcgowan-showing-dundee-may-be-better-off-without-graham-dorrans/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Nicky Banger was a hero. 

Think he hit a 25 yard volley that crashed off the crossbar at tannadump, gone in, would've been goal of the decade.*

*might have dreamt all of this.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Big Rab believes we'll be better without Dorrans, something which I think we considered after he suddenly left, as Gowser now has space on the pitch and a freedom to properly distribute the ball. Also suggesting again that Fin should maybe go out on loan, something that before we would've scoffed at but now with his lack of playing time should we give some consideration to?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/rab-douglas/1799398/rab-douglas-paul-mcgowan-showing-dundee-may-be-better-off-without-graham-dorrans/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Our bench is sparse as it is. 1 injury and Finlay gets his chance. Rab seems to be intent on punting him out on loan.

53 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Think he hit a 25 yard volley that crashed off the crossbar at tannadump, gone in, would've been goal of the decade.*

*might have dreamt all of this.

Thank you.

I was ball boy at that game, selected from primary school football team and plonked in front of the shed. Got abused relentlessly for 90 minutes from my big brother and his mates.

Got a telling off from McLean for jumping in celebration thinking Nicky's shot had gone in. Hero. 

That United squad were mostly arseholes apart from Jan Telesnikov, gentleman and took time to actually speak to us. 

Edited by Mr. Alli