All things Dundee FC

13 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Could he be this seasons Hamilton/ Reedy/ Chapman kind of guy? 

Nah, Mexican football is proper stuff. Atlante have a proud history with Liga MX and CONCACAF Champions League titles this century. Portales was a regular this season (played every game apparently) where they won their Apertura league and would've been promoted if the country had returned to pre-COVID rules within the leagues.

His move has been getting some coverage in Mexico, and in a release from the league on him moving, he outright states his goal is to represent the Mexico national team, and sees Europe as an alternate route to Liga MX. He was limited with opportunities to progress with Atlante as promotion and relegation has been suspended since COVID hit Mexico.

https://www.ligabbvaexpansion.mx/cancha/detallenoticia/43110/antonio-portales-de-la-liga-expansion-al-futbol-de-europa

If he manages to get into the national side while here I'll be stunned (and delighted), but even if we're a stepping stone we'll be onto something good here. Safe to say Atlante fans are gutted, complaining that no promotion is gutting their team of good players, and that Portales was their best centre back.

As for what I think (always trying to be more realistic than idealistic), I reckon Portales will be our new Gadzhalov, and I am here for it 🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Hoped but didn't expect we'd sign another centre half. Think I'm still scarred by McPake's 'keep the faith' approach.

Also seems like he's destined to be either an utter baller or total nutter. Fully on board.

11 minutes ago, Charliedee said:

I could do but I shouldn't need to it's the Dundee thread after all..maybe you could just stop commenting on every single thing related to Dundee 

I think ive only posted on here when the chats been ex-Saints manager Davidson, ex-Saints player Shaughnessy, and then a signing i expect most of the country is discussing in some way.

If you think im "constantly" on this thread then thats a problem at your end, as ive rsrely posted on here at all in the last year.

You had 2 options.

- Put me on ignore and be happy

- Bitch and moan about something, keep talking to me, and make me actually post on this thread more than i would've

images(3).jpeg.16d917b875099b3fc819dcc549e1b66f.jpeg

No doubt youll tell me to "go f**k myself" or something now, before waiting another 4 months to moan about the same thing again.

35 minutes ago, Charliedee said:

I could do but I shouldn't need to it's the Dundee thread after all..maybe you could just stop commenting on every single thing related to Dundee 

I’m beginning to think he has some sort of condition, which of course isn’t his fault. Absolutely zip self awareness. 

6 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Nah, Mexican football is proper stuff. Atlante have a proud history with Liga MX and CONCACAF Champions League titles this century. Portales was a regular this season (played every game apparently) where they won their Apertura league and would've been promoted if the country had returned to pre-COVID rules within the leagues.

His move has been getting some coverage in Mexico, and in a release from the league on him moving, he outright states his goal is to represent the Mexico national team, and sees Europe as an alternate route to Liga MX. He was limited with opportunities to progress with Atlante as promotion and relegation has been suspended since COVID hit Mexico.

https://www.ligabbvaexpansion.mx/cancha/detallenoticia/43110/antonio-portales-de-la-liga-expansion-al-futbol-de-europa

If he manages to get into the national side while here I'll be stunned (and delighted), but even if we're a stepping stone we'll be onto something good here. Safe to say Atlante fans are gutted, 

As for what I think (always trying to be more realistic than idealistic), I reckon Portales will be our new Gadzhalov, and I am here for it 🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽

Good work Ross 👍🏼

44 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

"Los sueños se hacen realidad"

Call me a cynic but I don't think it was his dream to play for Dundee.

Apparently his mother got him a Dundee top out of a charity shop when he was 8. His eldest boy was christened Gilzean Portales and he plans to live in Whitfield as it reminds him of Nezo-Chalco-Itza where he grew up. 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

"Los sueños se hacen realidad"

Call me a cynic but I don't think it was his dream to play for Dundee.

I’m guessing his dream was to play in Europe. I’d imagine, outside the top 5 leagues, getting the chance to play in one of the most historically significant and best supported leagues playing, as much as we hate to admit it, Celtic and Rangers, is quite attractive to those outside our self loathing bubble.

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If he manages to get into the national side while here I'll be stunned (and delighted), but even if we're a stepping stone we'll be onto something good here. Safe to say Atlante fans are gutted, 

Hope he doesn't turn out to be our new Walter Del Rio. Absolute mince that guy.

I don’t care if he turns out to be shit, we should get a Mexican flag made that says “Tono the Derry Destroyer.” And hang it at the front of a stand. Google translates that as “tono el destructor Derry” would need to get that checked :lol:

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A Mexican CB whos standout skills seem to be taking bodies at knee height and overhead kicks. 

Never change Dundee.

You just don’t like the thought of signing unknown players, because you’re fucking boring. Just like your boring team. 

zzzzzzzz

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A Mexican CB whos standout skills seem to be taking bodies at knee height and overhead kicks. 

Never change Dundee.

You lot won the Scottish Cup with two of they types of CH who just couldn't do overhead kicks.

18 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

You lot won the Scottish Cup with two of they types of CH who just couldn't do overhead kicks.

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wasnt trying to play anything down tbh, ive never even heard of him before today and have zero clue what Mexican footballs like.

Its just exactly the type of "out of nowhere" cult hero signing you lot seem to make regularly.

Hes clearly going to be talked about for a long time regardless of how good/bad he is.

It wasnt me saying hes shite.

A latino maniac CB whos going to get about 10 red cards but also score a ridiculous goal just feels very Dundee.

Its the type of signing i love to see made tbh, cult heroes are necessary for Scottish clubs IMO.