All things Dundee FC

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Donnelly had a really poor game and him and Dodgson weren’t knowing when to overlap each other - in turn they just kept passing back the way. The difference with Shaughnessy missing out of the defence was palpable.

Was sat thinking this the whole second half. For all the flak that Shaughnessy received in the weeks before his injury, he was clearly the leader at the back and was the lynchpin of that back 3. Without him, it's pretty crazy to me to play that formation without him. Lamie can't play that central role organising  the others, and Donnelly looks lost without Shaughnessy.

Rarely have I went up and down in rating a player as much as I have with Donnelly, which I put down to confidence at that age. When he's comfortable with the setup he's a top player at this level, but when everything else is shaky he becomes the shakiest. He's got the makings of a really good player, but for now without Shaughnessy we surely should be sticking to a back four with Lamie and Portales, and Dodgson and McGhee either side if we're wanting any more points this season. It gets the most out of Dodgson at LB and keeps things simple, as without Joe it becomes a mess.

As for the club as a whole, the aim now is to get our first win in the top six post-split in 12 attempts and over 20 years. Not since Caballero's double at Parkhead have we enjoyed a victory in this position, and doing so would be a decent end to a good season. Naturally, heading to Tynecastle to get a win is a rough task for anyone right now, but we usually are decent at nicking something from Hearts there and we were unlucky not to do so last time so with their season also pretty much sorted we should be looking to restore our pride next week.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

On 04/05/2024 at 18:34, invergowrie arab said:

Never mind. You will always have the fairytale run to Perugia to talk about. 

:lol:

You boys punted posters about a 'memorable' qualifier. It was just a shame that memorable qualifier ended up in something like a 7 goal deficit.

Livi have a fair few players on their books that I'd like to see us act like vultures over. Not all of them - obviously, but fair few individually could add something to our team IMO.

James Penrice has already been snapped up by Hearts but Scott Pittman is one I've always liked. Would add a bit of bite, some much needed experience and energy for our midfield.

Yengi has been mentioned by the ITK poster on the other forum as a possibility. Bruce Anderson and Nouble are both out of contract as well.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Livi have a fair few players on their books that I'd like to see us act like vultures over. Not all of them - obviously, but fair few individually could add something to our team IMO.

James Penrice has already been snapped up by Hearts but Scott Pittman is one I've always liked. Would add a bit of bite, some much needed experience and energy for our midfield.

Yengi has been mentioned by the ITK poster on the other forum as a possibility. Bruce Anderson and Nouble are both out of contract as well.

Are Pittmans legs not gone? 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are Pittmans legs not gone? 

Possibly - must confess, not saw a lot of him this current season, but I can't envisage many players for Livingston looked like their normal selves this season considering how pish they were collectively.

Has Dan Phillips decided what he's doing yet? 👀

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I would've been the first to agree with you on Pittman about 6 years ago, but he looks a shadow of the player that was key to leading Livi to the Premiership. The rumour re: Yengi is weird, as the poster is usually reliable but signing him would require a fee as he's only months into a 2.5 year deal. Perhaps there are some variety of relegation clauses inserted in there, but I clearly wouldn't know. Lively forward with plenty potential but seems a bit temperamental, still would be a top striker for Livi in the Championship if he stays there.

Anderson and Nouble are obviously worth a look, it'll be interesting to see how true the long-held rumours of Anderson signing a PCA with Killie are. Nouble will head back down south to the National League imo.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Possibly - must confess, not saw a lot of him this current season, but I can't envisage many players for Livingston looked like their normal selves this season considering how pish they were collectively.

Has Dan Phillips decided what he's doing yet? 👀

I think he's done tbh. Stephen Kelly is the CM from Livi you'd want but I don't think you need him while you have McCowan/Cameron. Jason Holt is a better fit for what you need and one I could see Docherty liking but I think your fans wouldn't like it initially?

Levein said a while ago that Phillips is looking for a club in England, and then there's always rumours of Hearts making him an offer. I think he'll be trying to get a club in League One/Two down south and he's known enough down there to get it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

We are battling it out with Kilmarnock for Bruce Anderson. 

With the way they threw money at KVV in January and Greg Stewart, I can't see us winning this one!

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

With the way they threw money at KVV in January and Greg Stewart, I can't see us winning this one!

Disgraceful the way teams that can’t be bothered maintaining a grass pitch can outbid good honest clubs for players.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Would be a really solid signing I think. Competition for spots at Killie might work in our favour given Robinson will likely leave and Bakayoko still up in the air.

I think Anderson is a decent player but I doubt he would score as many for us as he does for Livingston unless we build the team around him. I think our strikers will be Mellon, Main, Robinson and one other if we are to keep the 3-5-2. Mellon and Robinson would be decent together if the ball is threaded through on the ground which usually doesn’t happen. Main would get the best out his partner up top but wouldn’t contribute many goals for himself. Tiffoney wouldn’t work with Mellon, Robinson and Anderson. 

I think Mellon is our best striker and deserves a run in the team. I reckon we will get help from Burnley again from new loan players or to sign other players for them in the future. I’d have Mellon back certainly if we give him a good pre-season and learn how to get the best out of him. Mellons goals for Morcambe are 1v1 with the goalkeeper which we can try make happen by playing McCowan further up the pitch to thread through balls. 

Anderson would need the ball cut back to him from wingers which we don’t play with and would mean potentially 4 strikers on the bench. I think we need two attacking fullbacks, a big centre back ideally left footed, goal scoring vocal point target man striker and McCowan to play further up the pitch with defensive midfielder cover.

18 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

I think Anderson is a decent player but I doubt he would score as many for us as he does for Livingston unless we build the team around him. I think our strikers will be Mellon, Main, Robinson and one other if we are to keep the 3-5-2. Mellon and Robinson would be decent together if the ball is threaded through on the ground which usually doesn’t happen. Main would get the best out his partner up top but wouldn’t contribute many goals for himself. Tiffoney wouldn’t work with Mellon, Robinson and Anderson. 

I think Mellon is our best striker and deserves a run in the team. I reckon we will get help from Burnley again from new loan players or to sign other players for them in the future. I’d have Mellon back certainly if we give him a good pre-season and learn how to get the best out of him. Mellons goals for Morcambe are 1v1 with the goalkeeper which we can try make happen by playing McCowan further up the pitch to thread through balls. 

Anderson would need the ball cut back to him from wingers which we don’t play with and would mean potentially 4 strikers on the bench. I think we need two attacking fullbacks, a big centre back ideally left footed, goal scoring vocal point target man striker and McCowan to play further up the pitch with defensive midfielder cover.

Agree about Mellon, looks dangerous any time he's come on, has also backed this up with a good amount of assists/goals in a limited amount of time. He's the one I'd most like to keep, got be starting the final three games. IMO.

My worry about Mellon is I’m just not getting the vibes he’s much of a team player.  Constantly bemoans a bad pass to him or when a teammate fails to see his run, yet doesn’t appear to acknowledge his own mistakes.  Don’t think he even acknowledged the header across the six yard line by Donnelly for his goal on Saturday.

Thierry Henry admits he used to be like that until Wenger took him aside and explained to him that he needed to learn the way each individual teammate plays.  By doing that he got to know best run to make was dependent on who had the ball.

I could have course be totally wrong.  Just a thought during a break in the snooker.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

My worry about Mellon is I’m just not getting the vibes he’s much of a team player.  Constantly bemoans a bad pass to him or when a teammate fails to see his run, yet doesn’t appear to acknowledge his own mistakes.  Don’t think he even acknowledged the header across the six yard line by Donnelly for his goal on Saturday.

Thierry Henry admits he used to be like that until Wenger took him aside and explained to him that he needed to learn the way each individual teammate plays.  By doing that he got to know best run to make was dependent on who had the ball.

I could have course be totally wrong.  Just a thought during a break in the snooker.

Maybe a reason why Docherty isn't playing him as much. Similar to Robinson and his work rate, Docherty knows what he wants and if it is to the detriment of the work ethic of the team then they don't start. 

I would like to see him start the next three games though - there is clearly a good striker in there and a decent chance he could end up back with us next season if things fell in to place. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

44 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Maybe a reason why Docherty isn't playing him as much. Similar to Robinson and his work rate, Docherty knows what he wants and if it is to the detriment of the work ethic of the team then they don't start. 

I would like to see him start the next three games though - there is clearly a good striker in there and a decent chance he could end up back with us next season if things fell in to place. 

Shows more of a work ethic than Bakayoko. He is part of the reason why we let teams play through us. In the last game he was constantly walking then hooked off and walked to the bench unbothered

50 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Any player would be the same when he is not getting service. When he scorers he looks like it is normal and is perhaps just frustrated with his game time and knows he can be doing much better and should be on more goals and a crucial player for us.

Anderson is class, and reminds me so much of Steven MacLean. I think he'll get better the older he gets too.

Very, very, good signing if you manage it.