All things Dundee FC

It's not ideal to be honest. But, given that Bennett has refused to sell Dens (so we'd likely have to pay well over the odds and make it worth his while if we were dead set on getting it), redeveloping the south enclosure could be tricky given that it's apparently built on landfill, and I'm pretty sure the main stand has some listed building status making it difficult and expensive to modernise. So, all in all, a brand new stadium would probably work out much cheaper than buying Dens then razing and rebuilding half of it.
Not to mention that the folks who'll own the new stadium (if it does actually happen) are the same ones who have majority control of the club, so that'd surely make any rent dispute very unlikely. (I'd fucking hope so anyway)

On top of all that the extra income from hospitality and through the week. This should move Dundee back up a few spots in the league table if the extra income is well used.

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

On top of all that the extra income from hospitality and through the week. This should move Dundee back up a few spots in the league table if the extra income is well used.

Well, fingers crossed. 

But bear in mind this is Dundee FC we're talking about. If there's a way to turn a winning lottery ticket into a kick in the teeth we'll generally find it. 

8 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Is this a serious comment?

4 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

A company owned by your owners.  That doesn't mean that the money will be going to the club.

Whit? When St Johnstone's stadium gets used for an Elton John concert or the like, the money goes to Steve Brown. He doesn't have to invest it in the club. It's the same principle and I don't think anyone expects them to reinvest every penny anyways as they'll be looking to slowly recoup some of their investment.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Whit? When St Johnstone's stadium gets used for an Elton John concert or the like, the money goes to Steve Brown. He doesn't have to invest it in the club. It's the same principle and I don't think anyone expects them to reinvest every penny anyways as they'll be looking to slowly recoup some of their investment.

Remember Ludo, these farmer types are still new to this concept of a cash economy, most of them still work on the barter system so they're easily confused

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We own our ground so the money comes to us. Can you not see the difference?

The money goes to McDiarmid Park, which is owned by St Johnstone FC.

15 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

We own our ground so the money comes to us. Can you not see the difference?

Not really tbh - Brown owns your club, the stadium and controls the purse strings, same as Keyes and Nelms would with us...

The fact the new ground is being owned by a different subsidiary company is slightly concerning given our track record with owners, but its fairly commonplace for companies to split their assets between different company names for tax and financial security purposes.

+

Nelms and Keyes have already stated that they intended to reinvest too so I can't see how thats different - other than Nelms has given McCann money to sign players while Brown, well Browns done the same as ever and pocketed the cash...

Edited by locheedee

11 minutes ago, locheedee said:

Not really tbh - Brown owns your club, the stadium and controls the purse strings, same as Keyes and Nelms would with us...

Can't you see that there's a difference between a club owning it's ground and a club merely being a tenant? The former benefits from the income the ground generates and the latter doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Can't you see that there's a difference between a club owning it's ground and a club merely being a tenant? The former benefits from the income the ground generates and the latter doesn't.

I think it's even more fundamental than that.  When St Johnstone built McDermid they got a huge sum from ASDA and they got the land either free or for a nominal amount; that made the whole think financially viable.  Dundee won't get anything for Dens, because they don't own it, and the land aquisition costs are £1.2million according to press reports.

I can't see a few functions making a hell of a lot of difference TBH.

Does anyone know if Nelms has actually bought the site yet or does he just have an option to purchase?

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think it's even more fundamental than that.  When St Johnstone built McDermid they got a huge sum from ASDA and they got the land either free or for a nominal amount; that made the whole think financially viable.  Dundee won't get anything for Dens, because they don't own it, and the land aquisition costs are £1.2million according to press reports.

I can't see a few functions making a hell of a lot of difference TBH.

Does anyone know if Nelms has actually bought the site yet or does he just have an option to purchase?

Keyes has purchased it.

it's a long term investment for Keyes. He's bought up land that I'm sure he could sell, he'll get regular income from Dundee (and possibly United) leasing the stadium and will have functions etc to draw more money from.

It makes sense from a business point of view for him to do that. I suppose the other fear for Dundee is that he starts being unreasonable with the tenancy conditions once there's no Dens Park safety net.

I'm not sure Dundee need a 15,000 seater stadium and I'll miss trips to Dens but there's certainly a logic to it all from his point of view.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Keyes has purchased it.

I can only assume that Dundee FC has reached an accomodation with John Bennet regarding the lease on Dens even if no formal announcement has been made.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

it's a long term investment for Keyes. He's bought up land that I'm sure he could sell, he'll get regular income from Dundee (and possibly United) leasing the stadium and will have functions etc to draw more money from.

It makes sense from a business point of view for him to do that. I suppose the other fear for Dundee is that he starts being unreasonable with the tenancy conditions once there's no Dens Park safety net.

I'm not sure Dundee need a 15,000 seater stadium and I'll miss trips to Dens but there's certainly a logic to it all from his point of view.

This is such an ill informed post I am not sure where to start.