All things Dundee FC

His signings are that 'poor', 'lazy' and 'limited' that they have us 7th in a league it took us the best part of 10 year to get into and the last time we were in it, instead of being sitting pretty like we are right now, we were effectively relegated by Christmas.

Though I'm sure it is a different situation at Dundee, the above shares a scary similarity:

Hibs were 'sitting pretty' in 7th this time last season...

It could be a good sign that McPake, Thomson & Heffernan were either injured or unused largely throughout.

Either Hartley is building a trapdoor 11 or he has signed players that could have saved us from relegation!

It could be a good sign that McPake, Thomson & Heffernan were either injured or unused largely throughout.

Either Hartley is building a trapdoor 11 or he has signed players that could have saved us from relegation!

McPake in particular has been a very good signing. He's been fit for almost every game (*touch wood*) and has been a calming influence. The way we have played this season is to try and outscore teams so we often leave the defence pretty exposed and it would be a lot worse without him. He's ovbiously got his shortcomings though but looks like he'd be a good defender for any of the bottom 6 sides so he's one that might have made a difference but it's more bad luck than anything else that he wasn't that fit last year.

Thomson is a bit weirder because he's had a few spells out but when he has managed a conistsent run in the team, he does exert a strong influence. Seems like he was sort of thrown back into the Hibs team last season and I'm not really sure that you get the best out of him after only a couple of games with things changing.

To be honest, from an outsiders perspective, it didn't look like Hibs had that bad a squad. Players there have done good elsewhere in their careers and of that 11 that started in the relegation match, I wouldn't have been opposed to signing them all apart from Maybury, Nelson and Haynes. Even the bench had Collins, Cairney and Thomson who have something about them. Just seems to be that so many things went wrong at one time that when low confidence was combined with panicked team selections, things can go wrong very fast.

Good lesson to everyone that even a squad that looks too strong for relegation can manage it.

Though I'm sure it is a different situation at Dundee, the above shares a scary similarity:

Hibs were 'sitting pretty' in 7th this time last season...

While you were in 7th last season, the points gap between us and the bottom is significantly more than the one hibs had.

As far as this transfer window is concerned, I can't find a great deal of excitement in the ins and outs at Dens. Completely underwhelming. :(

It's not that bad looking back on it.

Heffernan is a 6-month loan deal, and at least provides an alternative to Clarkson and adds depth to the squad.

McGinn on a permanent deal is brilliant; once he gets up to speed he'll be important to the squad I reckon.

Obviously we had to offload Roberts, he's just too much of a disruption, and we need unity in the squad at this moment in time to solidify our place in the top league.

Our best business happened a bit before the deadline; tying down Stewart on a longer deal.

Overall, I'm content. How often as a Dundee fan can you really say that?

Heffernan is a 6-month loan deal, and at least provides an alternative to Clarkson and adds depth to the squad.

McGinn on a permanent deal is brilliant; once he gets up to speed he'll be important to the squad I reckon.

Obviously we had to offload Roberts, he's just too much of a disruption, and we need unity in the squad at this moment in time to solidify our place in the top league.

Our best business happened a bit before the deadline; tying down Stewart on a longer deal.

And as I said elsewhere McGinn could have gone to St Mirren as a decent replacement for McLean - he was equally as highly thought of when he left Paisley.

I'm quite happy too regarding where we are at this point in the season - apart from two desperate meltdowns against Utd, the results have been not too bad.

On your other points I don't understand releasing a skilled goal scorer, Peaso, to replace him with a guy that has Hefferman's scoring record. This too, when we need to get Wighton on the park for game time. I have no problem with McGinn, he will improve on his rusty display on Saturday, but we still have a plethora of midfielders. Where we needed some depth is in our colander defence, and so far for me the jury is out on Godzilla, and thus I'm less than buzzing on our transfer window.

Punting Roberts, ok, but still i do t see an overall improvement compared to a month ago.

And I'm usually a glass half full optimist!

McGinn is a good signing, stopped any potential competition we might have had in the summer and may have been clever use of the loan deal as cover to deter any other offers for him? Maybe just knew he would be released and decided to loan him and get him involved sooner rather than later. God knows. Does this increase our chances of signing the last McGinn at the end of the season? He is probably an upgrade on Ferry (who is better than he is showing but maybe needs to move on) and McAlister to name a couple.

I like seeing these development players coming in - it shows there is a focus on the future of the club and Carreiro has been a good example of picking up a player from an academy down south for peanuts. Arbroath have tailed right off since his departure - whether it's linked or not I don't know but he has shown he has potential to make it in the future for us. Hopefully this Priest is more of the same.

Heffernan for me is a garbage signing. He might come in and score a few and there is no doubt he has the ability to play at this level if he can get fit and firing. My main gripe is that he is another short term, older, journeyman type signing which only serves to limit first team chances of a certain Craig Wighton. Either he is as good as we kep hearing and needs first team exposure or he isn't as good as we may have thought and Hartley doesn't fancy him? Luka and Clarkson aren't scoring so why not give him a go?

We are not getting relegated this season now, so why not start giving our best young player a bit more game time than 10-15 mins here or there? Sickens me to say it but he'd be involved every week if he was over the road. Realistically will Paul Heffernan be with us next season? Martin Boyle is starting well ahead of him at Hibs and their fans are actually celebrating his depature.....

The best thing about this window has been hanging on to everyone we wanted to keep. Stewarts extension probably being a key part of that. It's also been fun watching other teams being ripped apart. Only Celtic, Partick, St. Johnstone & Aberdeen have really held on to their key players and added quality. Might be a case for Ross County but they are starting from a pretty bad place...

Caley - have lost McKay - lot of goals but they have a decent squad - they will be ok but he is a huge miss.

Hamilton - Despite their improvement at Dens, with the suspension of Imrie and the loss of Neil, MAC and Andreu Hamilton are looking a lot weaker.

Killie - have lost their best young player - probably less of a problem than most but never good.

St. Mirren - have lost the head selling McLean!

Well - lost Ojamaa and replaced him with a raft of loanees

Utd - lost key attacking players in GMS and Armstrong and although geting a LB in they still have no cover with Townsend leaving - in a funny position as their defence is now stronger but on first impressions they look significantly weaker going forward

MacDonald clearly wanted game time. Something we couldn't offer. Best thing all round was to release him.

Peaso was out of contract in the summer. Morton offered him an 18 month contract and a coaching position. He's working on his coaching qualifications and wants to move into management. He did a fantastic job for us, and letting him take up a great opportunity at Morton was the right thing to do.