All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Ok then, you aren't. Whatever.

Look you might be enjoying being a wind up and frankly who doesn't but you are verging on tragic. Is everything okay at home? 

I'm starting to get concerned about how much time you are spending here and lashing out at total strangers about things in the past. It's like rangers fans singing about hunger strikers and Celtic fans flying Palestine flags.

Before you post just stop and think. You are currently on par with them. Turn off your phone or pc, go get a cuppa and a bit of shorty and take a deep breath.

Things are never that bad mate.

I see the 'but.. but.. what could we have done!?!' revisionism is getting an outing about C'lum Melville leaving Dundee's finances in the shitter again. Nobody is suggesting fans at any club can just snap their fingers and launch a takeover - the time for action is when a shyster tries to clamber aboard. Was Melville's involvement the outcome of a thorough process? Erm no:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/200796/Dens-Park-crisis-as-main-backer-is-ready-to-quit

Melville joined the Dundee board in 2009 after replying to a speculative Sunday newspaper advert seeking new investment. 

Rather than treating Melville to the proper scrutiny that you'd expect to happen when some weirdo decides to invest in a football club based on an advert infucking newspaper, just about everyone at Dundee was willing to let him get on board, no questions asked. This is of course where the fans come into play - the directors may have been willing to listen to Melville's bullshit; there was nothing to stop Dundee fans from recalling their previous experiences with shysters and putting pressure on the club to move in another direction. But they didn't. Instead Melville fed them the usual 'Deefiant' nonsense:

Dundee director Calum Melville insists regularly finishing in the Scottish Premier League's top six is a realistic target for the Dens Park club.

Melville's investment has helped Dundee bolster their squad for the new season and hopes it will help the club win promotion from the First Division.

"In my view, we're the biggest club in Dundee, " he told BBC Scotland.

"If we get promoted and sustain our place in the SPL, we think we'd be the sixth-best supported club in the SPL."

He added: "With not having any debt, we should expect to have a squad or build a squad that can get top-six football regularly and challenge properly in the cups and win a few cups.

"Dundee are spending a fifth season in the First Division, which from our point of view is totally unacceptable. That is the bottom line.

The fanbase lapped it all up as usual; only to shed crocodle tears about the poor wee cleaning lady when it all - predictably - went down  the pan a few years later. 

27 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Look you might be enjoying being a wind up and frankly who doesn't but you are verging on tragic. Is everything okay at home? 

I'm starting to get concerned about how much time you are spending here and lashing out at total strangers about things in the past. It's like rangers fans singing about hunger strikers and Celtic fans flying Palestine flags.

Before you post just stop and think. You are currently on par with them. Turn off your phone or pc, go get a cuppa and a bit of shorty and take a deep breath.

Things are never that bad mate.

Another one who did nothing.

Oh and as a prime example of how Dundee fans fawned over Melville rather than asking any serious questions, you need only read this toe-curling 'chat' between a chief contributor to the club's online form with Melville in 2009:

http://www.dundee-mad.co.uk/feat/edz2/calum_speaks_to_dundee_mad_452532/index.shtml

The conclusion from the gormless DundeeMad editor has I think aged particularly well:

In conclusion I have been very impressed when chatting with Calum. As you are mostly aware I have spoken to nearly everyone who's had an interest in our club over the last 10 years or so. Some have been genuine people with our club at heart, some have been absolute charlatans and some have have been out and out crackpots.

What is striking about Calum Melville is that there are no promises, no pledges and no magic wand. He speaks plainly and speaks his mind. If it's not what you want to hear that won't alter it.

This is a man who I am delighted to know is in our corner, who will be standing beside us shoulder to shoulder as we try to get back to the SPL. He doesn't appear to be in it for personal gain, to own the club nor to have a stand named after him.

Calum has been an Aberdeen fan all his days, but make no mistake he's a Derry boy now.

:lol: 

Oh and on the 'what could we have possibly done' excuse, the same interview above confirms that the Dundee fans' group had both i) a representative on the board and much more importantly ii) some 26% of the total shareholding in the club when some Walter Mitty figure promised absolute pipe dreams in the spring of 2009. So Dundee fans were in fact significantly responsible for what happened at a boardroom level  - from sanctioning an absolute tinpot newspaper advert in the first place to rolling out the red carpet to its respondent. Dees4life could have opposed these decisions: it didn't. Dundee fans could then have emptied the Dees4life leadership and changed its course on the matter. They didn't.  

There are very few fans groups that hold such a degree of influence over the club as what Dundee fans had and gladly frittered away in the summer of 2009 because of Melville's 'Deefiant' drivel. So this 'what could we possibly have done' line can be safely filed in the bin where it belongs. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Oh and on the 'what could we have possibly done' excuse, the same interview above confirms that the Dundee fans' group had both i) a representative on the board and much more importantly ii) some 26% of the total shareholding in the club when some Walter Mitty figure promised absolute pipe dreams in the spring of 2009. So Dundee fans were in fact significantly responsible for what happened at a boardroom level  - from sanctioning an absolute tinpot newspaper advert in the first place to rolling out the red carpet to its respondent. Dees4life could have opposed these decisions: it didn't. Dundee fans could then have emptied the Dees4life leadership and changed its course on the matter. They didn't.  

There are very few fans groups that hold such a degree of influence over the club as what Dundee fans had and gladly frittered away in the summer of 2009 because of Melville's 'Deefiant' drivel. So this 'what could we possibly have done' line can be safely filed in the bin where it belongs. 

I thought I just had to pay my money and support the team as a fan.  I never realised I was meant to carry out due diligence on every prospective investor in the club.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I thought I just had to pay my money and support the team as a fan.  I never realised I was meant to carry out due diligence on every prospective investor in the club.

So you were simply too gormless to grasp that Dundee fans had a body that was tasked with doing the above in 2009 then  - with a seat on the board and nearly one-third of the total voting rights. 

Not exactly a stunning revelation tb. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

So you were simply too gormless to grasp that Dundee fans had a body that was tasked with doing the above in 2009 then  - with a seat on the board and nearly one-third of the total voting rights. 

Not exactly a stunning revelation tb. 

How did your admin go?

9 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Another one who did nothing.

Did your club check the financial history of Melville or DFC when doing business? They must of put us through some kind of audit process so we meet your requirements.

Like I said, blame yourselves not the Dee fanbase.

51 minutes ago, virginton said:

Oh and as a prime example of how Dundee fans fawned over Melville rather than asking any serious questions, you need only read this toe-curling 'chat' between a chief contributor to the club's online form with Melville in 2009:

http://www.dundee-mad.co.uk/feat/edz2/calum_speaks_to_dundee_mad_452532/index.shtml

The conclusion from the gormless DundeeMad editor has I think aged particularly well:

:lol: 

That's Harry McLean if I'm not mistaken.