All things Dundee FC

Has Nelms learned anything in his time at Dens?  The signing of Curran on a 2.5 year deal for a manager that has 6 months left is crazy.  One way or the other I just can’t see McIntyre being here next season.

I would understand if Currsn were a top player but he certainly isn’t that.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, seems a bit silly to be tied to him for so long, as I'm not convinced you'll have McIntyre that long.

Suppose it shows his desperation to get Curran, and how far your board are willing to back him, but it doesn't show any lessons have been learned.

To be fair to the board, what option have they got? If we just fished in the market of players we could sign until the end of the season and nothing else, then we wouldn't even have been able to sign a player as average as Curran.

The Dundee board certainly back their manager. Hartley and McCann were allowed to sign a ridiculous number of players, on stupid contracts, it looks like they are allowing McIntyre to do the same. 

Ive no idea who Curran is, but given that he was relegated last season, and performed poorly in the championship this season, I think it’s fair to say he will be shite. Yet we allow a stop gap manager to hand out a ridiculously long deal to him. 

I thought the Americans would be a bit more savvy, but it seems they are just continuing our mental scatter gun approach. 

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

To be fair to the board, what option have they got? If we just fished in the market of players we could sign until the end of the season and nothing else, then we wouldn't even have been able to sign a player as average as Curran.

Clearly, the player has managed to get Dundee to take on his current (currant?) contract, hence the two and a half year deal.  By all accounts there were quite a few offers for Curran at the time, but every team other than Dundee United balked at three years.  He's also got a history of fairly serious concussions.  Curran's a decent enough player, you'll know what you're going to get with with him (unlike Dundee's other strikers) but three years was a ridiculous contract, despite him not being that old.

EDIT: I think it's actually a pretty smart move by Dundee.  

Edited by Savage Henry

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd imagine there's a middle ground between signing absolute shite for six months, and signing Curran for 2.5yrs, tbh, but I've no real idea what players are floating about.

It does seem like you're constantly handing long contracts out to players, but without a long term plan, which isn't sustainable.

Curran's a decent enough player, you'll know what you're going to get with with him (unlike Dundee's other strikers) but three years was a ridiculous contract, despite him not being that old.

EDIT: I think it's actually a pretty smart move by Dundee.  

Savage that’s one of the nicest things a rival fan has ever said to us. Thank you.

One plus side of owning him is he will be eligible to play against United, should we meet them.....

I’d imagine Yenited’s 1st team players will be on a good few hundred pounds per week less than ours and in monetary terms the deal Curran’s signed for 30 months is only slightly more than what our average 1st team player earns in 18 months. Maybe clutching at straws but our average wage is £1300 per week doubt Yenited’s is above £1000. Ability wise it’s still a shite signing. 

I liked Curran at County. He's not a goalscorer and his actual footballing ability is woeful (he struggles to even hit a decent penalty) but he's a scrapper and a battler, always putting in a shift. He looks like he belongs in a 1950s British war movie, battling Nazis deep behind enemy lines.

Not a terrible signing but not someone who will score the goals to keep Dundee up.

I'd imagine there's a middle ground between signing absolute shite for six months, and signing Curran for 2.5yrs, tbh, but I've no real idea what players are floating about.
It does seem like you're constantly handing long contracts out to players, but without a long term plan, which isn't sustainable.
I agree with you.

There surely had to be a better option, even if we got him on loan indefinitely with a termination clause to pay United, that could still be much cheaper.

I think he can be a good player this season and play a decent role but if we're relegated, McIntyre won't be here and we'll need as much of the budget freed up as possible.

Watching the Scottish Sixes and it was completely bizarre to see John Gibson step into the Wales goal as a substitute for the injured Paul Jones.
Even more bizarre hearing him described as, 'former Dundee hero'.
Had a cracking save against Raith on New Year's Day in our league win. Hero for that.

I got offered and used a spare season ticket for Tannadice today, and it gave me the fear.
Watching Harkins sit as defensive mid for Thistle was a sad sight. Even sadder was the level, everything going everywhere, jags could have been out of sight in the first half but United probably shaded the second.
The thought of going back to watch that sort of shite should give the powers that be serious food for thought, attendances are hardly stellar at the moment and nobody could argue £22 to watch that pish is value for money.
Watching a guy who managed a relegated squad seemingly trying to get the old team back together is not something that fills me with confidence.
I sincerely hope he has an ace to shuffle into this pack.

Any manager who plays Harkins in defensive midfield should be instantly sacked.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

I liked Curran at County. He's not a goalscorer and his actual footballing ability is woeful (he struggles to even hit a decent penalty) but he's a scrapper and a battler, always putting in a shift. He looks like he belongs in a 1950s British war movie, battling Nazis deep behind enemy lines.

Not a terrible signing but not someone who will score the goals to keep Dundee up.

A striker with no ability, who struggles to score goals. He has Dundee written all over him.

Curran is a right nasty b*****d on the pitch. You wouldn't want a team of them but equally, a team without a scattering is a soft touch and Dundee have arguably been that for a while. He leaves a bit in every challenge, it gets defenders frustrated and can take them out of their comfort zone.

I take the point about a lack of actual ability and as such didn't think he'd be a fit for a team that should have been looking to play football at the top end of the Championship but in the trenches of the Premiership relegation battle, I'd want to be alongside him. I'm not sure many County fans would point too many fingers at him for their relegation last season?

Any manager who plays Harkins in defensive midfield should be instantly sacked.
Played there for Morton last season, i hate the w@nk but he was pretty impressive. One of the best in the league to be fair to him.

Although he was more of a deep playmaker, with the odd lung bursting run forward.

Back to his usual this season by the looks if it, already at his 3rd club in 12 months.

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Our starting 11 at present under McIntyre's so far, preferred 4-4-1-1 formation:

Hamilton

Kerr            O'Dea                            Kusunga            Ralph

J. Curran             McGowan          Woods          Deacon?

C. Curran
                                               Miller.

Sorry if that doesn't come out correctly formatted. Only reason I'm posting this, is because I'm gonna bump this come January 31st/Feb 1st and see how different our expected starting 11 will look. I'd imagine and hope, quite a bit. Desperately need a new goalkeeper, at least one CH, one CM, 2 wingers and another striker IMO.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What sort of formation will Dundee play to accommodate Miller and Curran?