All things Dundee FC

Todd is a good player but has a long list of injuries. A dislocated shoulder(twice) kept him out for the vast majority of last season with us.

Worrying. When the shoulder pops out like that it can be a recurring thing that’s v difficult to cure. We don’t sign players that don’t have issues though.

It’s not really surprising given the huge turnover of players and management but there’s no point beating around the bush - our losses are growing year on year and the amounts aren’t sustainable in the long term. FPS have taken a lot of stick recently but they continue to pull us out of the financial hole we find ourselves in. Looking at that we really can’t afford relegation this year and if we do get relegated we could find ourselves in a sticky situation. It no wonder news on the new stadium has gone quiet recently.

The gain on players figure is interesting - only £500k? I thought Jack Hendry was a record fee and I don’t recall us paying actual money for any players?

30 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
44 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:
If only we could have one season where we don’t have to change the whole team and pay off the dross on 2 and 3 year contracts.
That would make a huge difference to the bottom line and an even bigger difference on the pitch.

We didn't need to sell caulker either.... if we did get money for him though :-o

Again, as I said at the time, it's easy to turn down bids if a player doesn't want to leave.

It's not so easy keeping a player when they want to leave.

I can't believe some people knock the board for turning down that deal or the even more absurd accusation of saying they made it up.

Anyone who is comfortable looking at these figures is a raging lunatic. Our losses have increased despite having 2 derbies and a club record transfer fee incoming. With no derbies, falling crowds, no transfer fees and a new manager in this financial year the losses will be well over £1 million. The figures couldn’t stress enough how much we cannot afford to be relegated.

How long are the Americans going to sit there and bankroll abject performances on the pitch, falling crowds and astronomical losses? They’re not stupid. People on here moaning about a lack of news regarding the new stadium - there’s why.

January was clearly the Yanks last attempt at salvation and if were relegated this season I can see them selling up and cutting their losses. Roy McGregor said that relegation has cost them £600k. We really can’t afford that.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Again, as I said at the time, it's easy to turn down bids if a player doesn't want to leave.

It's not so easy keeping a player when they want to leave.

I can't believe some people knock the board for turning down that deal or the even more absurd accusation of saying they made it up.

Couldn’t agree more.  My point was it’s not cheap to get rid of a player that wants to stay.

For what it’s worth I’ve never questioned the board’s assertion that there was a bid for Caulker.  Bottom line is if a bid comes in and a player is adamant he doesn’t want to move then there will be no move.  

Edited by Shadow Play

These people would be me regarding stadium... as in ii dont think it will happen even though their was a guarantee this was/is going to happen.
We have been in a mess for a while, again this is not news we havnt heard before.
Renaming Dens helped slightly..

Was said before one of the board members wanted to sell up ( for life of me cant remember who and cant remember where I read it )

We survive next season and see where we are at. That's all we got to ask from these players. Once these players go back to their clubs we have something like 8 players left.
Aren't we still/were in the top 6 regarding wages for players?

If season ticket prices go up next season however that wouldn't be cool

I’m sure there were more than just you, but surely now you can understand why it’s all gone a little bit quiet. They did say in the notes however that the plan still is to build a new stadium.

We need to stay up, and get a settled squad together and that will help bring some continuity. This years accounts are going to make for grim reading though.

7 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I’m sure there were more than just you, but surely now you can understand why it’s all gone a little bit quiet. They did say in the notes however that the plan still is to build a new stadium.

We need to stay up, and get a settled squad together and that will help bring some continuity. This years accounts are going to make for grim reading though.

Losses of that size attributed to, changes of guard and squad sure but, that also includes Europe pay from other clubs and competitions and premiership funds.

That's over a million loss in the championship if we go down.

Which we won't.

Because we're brilliant.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

If only we could have one season where we don’t have to change the whole team and pay off the dross on 2 and 3 year contracts.

That would make a huge difference to the bottom line and an even bigger difference on the pitch.

This, in a nutshell.

Appointing McCann was a gamble that didn't pay off. Ok, the rot started toward the end of Hartley's spell, but had we gotten the task of appointing his successor right, then we'd be two years further along than where we find ourselves right now. Stability is essential, so it was vital whoever we appointed after Hartley stopped that rot, and move us away from the bottom three and toward the middle of the pack. Instead, McCann accelerated that decline, with the result that we had to bin most of what Hartley left behind, and then little more than a year later, bin McCann's supposed replacements.

I can understand the board taking a risk in the hope of unearthing a gem of a manager, but it's galling to think where we might be right now had we enticed Jack Ross instead. If Jim McIntyre successfully keeps us in the Premiership, then I think it's difficult to argue we should move on from him. The improvement he's made in one transfer window outstrips anything both his predecessors have managed in the past 3 or 4 seasons. We need some sort of stability, and a manager who can build over two or three years, not this repeating cycle of binning the entire squad every 12-18 months.