All things Dundee FC

Hamilton - Intae the sea.
Kerr - Horrendous in the first half. Better in the second as he was in his more natural RB position.
McGhee - I found him particularly atrocious in the first half, like the others picked it up in the 2nd. Was convinced his half-volley shot was going in.
Meekings - I thought he was our least shit defender in the 1st, not saying much though.
Forster - Rinse and repeat; shite in first half, much stronger in second.
Marshall - Looked much more comfortable in the LB role.
Robertson - Probably the best player in the 1st half for me, didn't think he did much in the 2nd as far as I remember.
Byrne - Anonymous in the 1st (though he had some nice moves). Slightly better in 2nd, but I expect more from him overall.
Gowser - Thought he was fairly solid throughout, didn't progress the forward push as much as I thought he could've.
Johnson - Did what he needed to do. Took his chances and converted. Would like to see more from him in open play though.
Nelson - Another disappointing night for Nella. Can't seem to get much going as of late.
McDaid - Thought he was a good sub and helped speed up Dundee's tempo going forward in the 2nd. Still needs work, but I defo see a good player in him.
Todd - Also thought he did well coming on, though less noticeably to me than McDaid.

Got off lucky with that, could easily have been (and probably should've been) 3 or 4 for Dunfermline in the 1st half. Much better tactically in the 2nd, looked way more comfortable, though still kept struggling against counters from the Pars. Happy to see McPake react to a situation with urgency in a way that brought positive results (instead of ignoring issues and insisting his initial decision was the right one like some other managers we've seen in the past) and hope this is a key part of him learning about his team and how it best functions. I don't think 3 at the back is the way to go, as we look quite comfortable with 4. Would think a 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 with Gowser feeding for Nelson and Johnson would be the way going forward, but that's just me. As for signings, boy do we need 'em. Ness is back from his knock but wasn't even on the bench today for some reason, and Curran and (shock horror) Davies are out. I'd reckon we need at least 1 new player in for every position, 2 perhaps for strikers and midfielders. I sure hope that's the worst we play all season, because if we got something from that game after playing so badly against a title contender away from home, then there's no reason not to keep hoping. Onto Ayr.

I thought Robertson was brilliant in the second half apart from one stray pass. Shows how different you can view things.

13 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I reckon 3 at the back is done just 1 game in to the season.  Our 3 couldn't cope with players out wide taking them for a run. Could have been dead and buried at half time.

When we actually played a bit and pressed them more all of a sudden the game changed.  We lasted the pace in that heat whilst Dunfermline were fucked after 60 minutes, so that is a positive.

No more first halfs like that please. 

Dunfermline were away the best in the first half like they were against us in Paisley. Simlour the second half change in formation put a halt to their constant attacking. Great game to watch very fast paced from a natural point of view. 

Papers this morning say we've made a move for Hemmings.

I trust after the outrage about me talking about May on here, Dundee fans will be more restrained.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Papers this morning say we've made a move for Hemmings.

I trust after the outrage about me talking about May on here, Dundee fans will be more restrained.

You could try posting that in the St Johnstone thread where someone will give a f**k, tbh.

4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

You could try posting that in the St Johnstone thread where someone will give a f**k, tbh.

I did, and a Dundee fan instantly appeared.

Very strange.

43 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

First half was a washout for Dundee. Second half I thought Dundee controlled the game.  Pretty sure Strachan will have a massive influence despite the party line.

If that is true I hope he tells McPake to punt Hamilton and Cammy into the fucking sea. We will not get promoted with those two in the team. GK, 2 defenders and a striker in soon hopefully.

I reckon 3 at the back is done just 1 game in to the season.  Our 3 couldn't cope with players out wide taking them for a run. Could have been dead and buried at half time.
When we actually played a bit and pressed them more all of a sudden the game changed.  We lasted the pace in that heat whilst Dunfermline were fucked after 60 minutes, so that is a positive.

Has Meekings always lacked pace? I don't know if Dunfermline's players are just rapid but he was getting beat for speed in the first half before and after he picked up that knock. 

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Who has the bet with Curran scoring so many goals ? Is he injured ?

I've got him for 6, @Moo's got him for 10. 

Of all our signings I’m thinking Byrne has been the most disappointing versus my expectations. Hardly shown f**k all so far. I thought Robertson was absolute class in the second half. Always available and a great range of passing. He’s probably our best tackler in midfield too. Both striker’s, but in particular Nelson’s, first touch is awful. The ball never sticks and as it rebounds the pressure is back on us.

A lot of work still to be done.
Bench still feels weak.

Who has the bet with Curran scoring so many goals ? Is he injured ?

Curran seems to be in the the same place as Davies. As shite as most think Curran is it’s strange he doesn’t make the bench, if he’s fit, surely?

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Of all our signings I’m thinking Byrne has been the most disappointing versus my expectations. Hardly shown f**k all so far. I thought Robertson was absolute class in the second half. Always available and a great range of passing. He’s probably our best tackler in midfield too. Both striker’s, but in particular Nelson’s, first touch is awful. The ball never sticks and as it rebounds the pressure is back on us.

Yeh we really need a stronger player to hold the ball up top to help either of our two small strikers. One that scores goals would be nice.

58 minutes ago, daftydee said:

The only thing worse than Dundee’s first half performance was the BBC’s coverage,the presenters were abysmal & I really hope the BBC have a rethink.

Agree with this. Plus the constant referring to Mikey Stewart, when he’s always been Michael! The lassie had a howler at the end when talking about Nesbit, saying he can’t have been disappointed, then immediately saying “you can see the disappointment in his face” 

It's infuriating that Hamilton has been kept on (I know hes under contract) aswell as Cammy Kerr. Really gets on my tits. Both are nowhere near good enough to take this club forward. We need to take all sentimental feelings with Kerr out the equation and bin him. 

Looks like McGowan still has it in him to play at championship level in the no.10 role - where neither McCann or Hartley used him. Excellent performance. Keep it up Gowser.

McGhee came onto a game second half, hopefully him and Meekings start at centre back next weekend because Forster is fucking clueless. Slow as f**k and his punts up the pitch were an embarrassment. If we're up against incrediby slow strikers or Moussa style Carthorses we'll get away with Forster.

McDaid and Todd to start next week, please. Gives us Nelson to come off the bench if we need more firepower aswell. Could even have done with Curran coming on the final 10 yesterday.

Great point all things considered. We cant lose games to Dunfermline, Inverness or United. These are our main challengers IMO. Avoid defeat to them teams and we'll be right up there.

Maximum points required before the Derby. Home games in this league have to be won if we're going to go up. The Ayr squad has been decimated and there's no excuses.

Thank you.

I’m going to come in peace here and try and ask a civil question, so you don’t have to deal with RG. [emoji23]

My understanding is that Hemmings is very much a penalty box striker who’ll get on the end of crosses and loose balls. Or at least that’s the impression I got playing against us. Seem to remember a mixture of headers and clever finishes? So my question to Dundee fans is, firstly I assume you’ll believe him to be a better player than May is? Secondly do you think he’d be good for 10+ league goals in the current saints team, bearing in mind we actually create a lot from wide areas just nobody can score them yet?

Thanks in advance for your responses, I’ve locked RG in a cupboard for now so he won’t be bothering you.