All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Because Byrne cant.

Theres been times when Byrne wasn't playing, and Dorrans has been deeper than the centre halves.

You cant blame Byrne for everything. Dorrans was an attacking midfielder, and a. pretty good one at that, we shouldnt be signing him and letting him take the easy option and sit back and defend. If we play Byrne, McGhee and Dorrans, then he simply needs to be up the park, not poncing about in defence, thats not his job, if Byrne and McGhee cant get it right, then McPake fixes it, not Dorrans.

The only time Dorrans is behind the CB's is when we have the ball. He's not playing as a defender. It's a clear instruction for him to drop deep and take the ball as our playmaker, primarily because our CB's themselves aren't capable of playing that role, but also because it allows the FB's/WB's to push right up the park.

I think our biggest issue is the slow build-up, but that's clearly the way McPake wants us to play, so that being the case, having your best playmaker dropping deep is perfectly normal for all teams across the globe who play that style. It doesn't work in this type of league, so for that reason alone I'm not a fan. Dorrans is only doing what he's being asked to do.

Edited by Boo Khaki

41 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Soul destroying. The DAB arse collapse continues, and there's nothing we can do about it. f**k off McPake.

Thank you.

Spot in Biggie.  Some fans getting a bit carried away that we are on an unbeaten run but the truth of the matter is if Arbroath didn’t concede in the  93rd minute today we would be on exactly the same points (38) and goal difference as them (-1).  26 games in this league should be more than enough for McPake to work out how he can get goals from HIS squad.  Arbroath were two leagues below us last season and are working on a fraction of the budget McPake has had indulged on him.  

Edited by Shadow Play

43 minutes ago, srw said:

I think 95% of fans are biased one way or another, at least I admit it.

It would take a monumental turnaround in our team for me to change opinion on him, and its not going to happen.

Completely agree, and don't think I don't understand why. I always want our manager to succeed and usually have a decent tolerance (unless it's Jim McIntyre), and I feel much more impressed with McPake of late than I have for the majority of the season. Didn't want him to be manager to start, and certainly had my own lows in regards to my opinion of him, but I'm growing in confidence over his tactics of late. Whether that continues largely depends on us scoring and start winning more than we're drawing (and no doubt losing).

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The only time Dorrans is behind the CB's is when we have the ball. He's not playing as a defender. It's a clear instruction for him to drop deep and take the ball as our playmaker, primarily because our CB's themselves aren't capable of playing that role, but also because it allows the FB's/WB's to push right up the park.

I think our biggest issue is the slow build-up, but that's clearly the way McPake wants us to play, so that being the case, having your best playmaker dropping deep is perfectly normal for all teams across the globe who play that style. It doesn't work in this type of league, so for that reason alone I'm not a fan. Dorrans is only doing what he's being asked to do.

Fair analysis.

Deep playmaker spreading the play to attacking wing backs is a tactic some teams use, but I don't see us doing that. Whatever we are supposedly trying, it doesn't work, and the midfield balance is all off IMO.

Interesting comments by all tonight following today's game at Ayr.

My personal opinion is James McPake is now 95% preoccupied with preventing us conceding and hence potentially losing games and ultimately his job at the end of the season, rather than setting up and taking the game to our opponents as we would all hope and expect at this level with the players at his disposal.

Again, only my opinion, and like RossB I always hope for the best from our managers, however like SRW I'm at best only a very charitable 5% convinced on performances so far this season James McPake is the man required to deliver on a consistent basis.

I note Danny Johnson scored again for Leyton Orient today, the match winning goal.  Also interesting we couldn't match or better Arbroath's T&C's for their goalscorer again today Craig Wighton. 

Regards as always.      

7 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Also interesting we couldn't match or better Arbroath's T&C's for their goalscorer again today Craig Wighton. 

Dundee offered a higher %age of Wighton wage than Arbroath did. Hearts wanted more, as "Dundee can afford it". There was a screen grab put up from a WhatsApp conversation in which Craig himself said he'd have preferred Dundee but Hearts were taking the piss. 

2 hours ago, srw said:

Why does Dorrans need to play as a 3rd, 4th or 5th central defender, he should be further up the park, but he decides to drop back. Im not a fan of Byrne, but I wouldn't blame him for Dorrans being what he is.

But theres no goal threat from anyone in the team apart from Nelson midweek, or him and Hemmings today, if they have an off day, we are screwed. I just think the team is set up appallingly, midfield is terrible IMO.

But the games all about opinions....

The last thing Nelson has been is a goal threat. Hopefully he up’s his game to what we saw last season. 

On another note that’s  the last 3 away games been played in horrendous weather, more because of the wind than rain etc. Been 3 poor games to watch and I’m now coming round to the way of calling games off in those conditions. 

21 minutes ago, Dele said:

Dundee offered a higher %age of Wighton wage than Arbroath did. Hearts wanted more, as "Dundee can afford it". There was a screen grab put up from a WhatsApp conversation in which Craig himself said he'd have preferred Dundee but Hearts were taking the piss. 

Fair comment Dele. All I know and heard is Arbroath FC were left a financial bequest recently and assumed they had bettered our offer, however if the Jam Tart's were playing silly beggars with both, nowt more to say on the matter.

We all know where no.33's heart remains, rightly so. We'll welcome him home in the summer in that case hopefully.

Best regards    

28 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Wighton isn't the answer IMO. No point discussing players either, while McPake is in command.

Agree Biggie, certainly not in a goal-scoring capacity. However compared to some of our so-called flair players, I'd have young Wighton everyday of the week with a free roving midfield commission.

For the attention of James McPake's summer successor, please secure David Marshall as our no.1 after his release from Wigan hopefully. Albeit he is under contract until 2021 they currently look like relegation candidates.

Any further recommendations for next season gratefully received. 

Best regards

15 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Agree Biggie, certainly not in a goal-scoring capacity. However compared to some of our so-called flair players, I'd have young Wighton everyday of the week with a free roving midfield commission.

For the attention of James McPake's summer successor, please secure David Marshall as our no.1 after his release from Wigan hopefully. Albeit he is under contract until 2021 they currently look like relegation candidates.

Any further recommendations for next season gratefully received. 

Best regards

You really think we'd be in a position to sign Scotland's current number 1? 

He'd have his pick of Scottish clubs - perhaps even Celtic if they can't get Forster in.

I'm warming to Hazard after today though! 

And Speroni still hasn't officially retired! 

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You really think we'd be in a position to sign Scotland's current number 1? 

He'd have his pick of Scottish clubs - perhaps even Celtic if they can't get Forster in.

I'm warming to Hazard after today though! 

And Speroni still hasn't officially retired! 

I'm not convinced him now being at the age of 35 many top Scottish clubs would push the boat out financially to secure David Marshall, or indeed require him for that matter.

We, however are in dire need of a permanently signed competent goalkeeper, if we have any realistic desire to regain our top league status anytime soon. 

In fairness, well done to Hazard for his penalty save today, which albeit was apparently conceded due to his own indecision according to match reports.

Best regards

9 hours ago, Yenitit said:

The last thing Nelson has been is a goal threat. Hopefully he up’s his game to what we saw last season. 

Oh, I completely agree, but midweek it was him or nothing, and on Saturday by all accounts there were no goal threats in the team.

We rely purely on the one, or occasionally two strikers in the team, the midfield, and wingbacks offer practically no threat. Thats where I think the team is set up horribly wrong.

Not conceding is great, but we have scored the third least amount of goals in the league, we still have a negative goal difference, for me, these are both criminal.

I'm just surprised McPake was getting any level of praise at all for beating the two bottom sides, then drawing with Alloa and Ayr in utter borefests. We've got 10 games left in a dismal season in which we are still sitting with a negative goal difference and have barely averaged more than a goal a game, all with easily the second biggest budget in the division. If he's still in a job because we've still got a chance of making the play-offs, that's fucking ridiculous. There is absolutely no way McPake has either the bottle or tactical awareness/ability to navigate us through games against Aye, Caley and even if we somehow successfully shitfest those, whoever finishes 11th in the Prem will absolutely rinse us. 

The fact that we are so light in the striking department is entirely McPake's fault. Danny Johnson left because he wasn't happy. No wonder, I'd be fucking raging if I'd scored a few but was still largely benched to accommodate a shite 1 up front formation which has proved fairly fucking useless throughout the season. If Nelms sticks with him into next season, we're truly fucked. 

10 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

In fairness, well done to Hazard for his penalty save today, which albeit was apparently conceded due to his own indecision according to match reports.

Best regards

Only Kerr can take responsibility for the penalty. Yeah Hazard started to come for the long ball into the box but Kerr had an eternity to deal with the situation.