All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Wonder how Goodwins getting on with 'tearing up contracts'.

Ho ho.

eta. squad starting to take shape, impressed so far from the Doc.

Thank you.

I agree re the Doc. It’s always this point in proceedings when you forget the previous season’s debacle and begin to have hope. We must be fucking mugs. 

Trying to get an idea of how we might look this season and what signings we still need to make. It's nice to have more than 4 players again.

New ST

Tiffoney - Cameron - McCowan

New CM - Byrne?

New LB - Shaughnessy - Ashcroft - French

New GK

I'd rather not see Rudden any higher than 3rd choice so 2 needed in there still. Still shuddering at the talk of Danny Mullen on TDB forum, f**k me. Someone pacy and a battering ram perhaps? Genuinely no obvious options come to mind.

Charlie Reilly is right footed but played all of his best football on the left last season and McCowan has blown hot and cold on the right so we'd need another right footed winger, maybe a loan? Assume Reilly will get game time this season.

Cameron is world class and the position is his.

We have a few options at CM, including Mulligan who I'd love to see get more game time there, but none that I'm 100% confident with being first choice for the season, probably another 1 or 2 needed. Assume Byrne will get a clean slate, not that his was actually dirtied. Would him and A. N. Other be good enough? Have read Kyle Turner from Partick might be a possibility but not sure if he's what we need.

Kerr is fine for cover on both sides and has shown he can be solid and disciplined in short bursts but for the love of god give me an experienced, competent, natural left back. 

Would like to see McGhee sign back on as he'd be great cover for CB and CM, but perhaps that's why he's not committed yet. I'd ideally also have us sign another starting CB but reckon we'll be loyal to Ashcroft. Can't complain, kinda love the big unit.

GK I'd like to see us upgrade on Legzdins, we need a keeper who can bail us out when we are inevitably undone by better teams and I don't think he's the one for that. Strong handshake, even better smile, but not a terrific goalkeeper.

Overall I think we have some exciting young attacking players who I hope we'll enjoy watching this season, but I'm hoping in the positions needing filled we can add players of a similar calibre to Shaughnessy - 26+ and established as a good player at this level - to help glue the rest together. 

Of course this is in an ideal world and I'm just a gimp who's avoiding going to bed.

11 hours ago, Fifespud said:

We should be good neighbours and punt him to the dayglo funsters. Be a good signing for them. 

10 hours ago, Liam899 said:

...Rudden is mid-table championship IMO. 

Perfect. 

4 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Trying to get an idea of how we might look this season ...

It's a minor point, but Shaughnessy played best in the centre in a 3 man defence, or to the right of a 2 man pairing. Both Goodwin and Robinson avoided playing him left sided, and in turn on the rare occasion that he had to, it was clear he was more comfortable on the right.

I'm certainly not saying he's a 'bombscare' or 'liability' on the left, not at all, and although I am a little biased I feel Shaughnessy could be the best bit of business you do this window.

Edited by Ric

24 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Any talk of McGhee in central midfield can get right in the bin. 

This. He was absolutely garbage in the Premiership relegation season and the step up too much. A half decent second half of this season shouldn't let us forget that. 

Rudden can get into a cannon and fired in to the sun. Total donkey. Byrne, if staying, should be no more than for squad depth...that will upset a lot of his fanboys but oh well. 

Still a lot of work to do because we need two strikers, two left backs, a goalkeeper and two central midfielders. Unlikely we will get all of the required but I'd guess that the players who were offered new contracts would have signed by now. At a push I would keep Anderson but I think this season is finally the one where we have to be ruthless to actually progress. 

52 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

I take it we have to pay some kind of development fee/compensation to Albion Rovers for Reilly? Any idea how much?

Only if they offered him an equal/improved contract I think, but would be weird if they didn’t even if they knew he was leaving.

56 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

I take it we have to pay some kind of development fee/compensation to Albion Rovers for Reilly? Any idea how much?

Id guess oennies, probably not even £10k, as he was there 2 seasons.

Might be boosted by joining a top flight club though.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Id guess oennies, probably not even £10k, as he was there 2 seasons.

Might be boosted by joining a top flight club though.

I think we got £5k for Declan Byrne who went to Kelty after scoring 8 goals in 33 games. Charlie will obv be more... Id hope something like £15k.... There will be dialog with the clubs then a fee agreed on - or it goes to a tribunal. When Byrne went to Kelty - took him until Jan to score one of his ONE goals (before moving to Clyde to score One more goal! - QPR looked at this kid ! ! So £5k was probably a decent fee for us. 

Edited by teekasule

Hard to believe the fuss Rudden signing a pre for us caused. He was alright but nothing worth the hassle. Excited by the buzz around this Reilly fella. Quite a jump up but if he's got the skill and he's hungry enough there is no reason he can't hit the ground running.

17 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Hard to believe the fuss Rudden signing a pre for us caused. He was alright but nothing worth the hassle. Excited by the buzz around this Reilly fella. Quite a jump up but if he's got the skill and he's hungry enough there is no reason he can't hit the ground running.

Like you say it can definitely be done. I think of the likes of Andy Robertson who made the big jump from Queens Park to United and we all know how that turned out. He might be a unique case but it does go to show that if your attitude is right along with ability you can take it in your stride. 

Well, plenty of fixtures announced now for the new season. Couple of friendlies away in Angus, separated by a week-long pre-season camp in Ireland where we'll play two games. After those, first two League Cup games are away from home to Bonnyrigg and Airdrie, followed by home games against Dumbarton and Inverness, the latter being live on Viaplay on 30 July.

Bit curious how our first six games of the season are all away from home.

18 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Well, plenty of fixtures announced now for the new season. Couple of friendlies away in Angus, separated by a week-long pre-season camp in Ireland where we'll play two games. After those, first two League Cup games are away from home to Bonnyrigg and Airdrie, followed by home games against Dumbarton and Inverness, the latter being live on Viaplay on 30 July.

Probably to give the new playing surface as much bedding in time as possible

18 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Pre season friendlies announced before we have players to play in them.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Aye, trophyless. 

I mean, I’m guessing you’re referencing the Scottish Cup final (have you had a Dundee fan thank you for that one today yet? If not, thanks!), but considering he’s won the Premier and Champions Leagues since then that’s probably not the stick to beat him with.