All things Dundee FC

Again people saying decent going forward!!!! Doesn't go past people or get quality into box absolutely nothing about him. When I watch him it reminds me of watching Neil McGregor trying to play SPL. Hartley has been ruthless in getting rid of those who add nothing think we should cut our losses and ship him out

To me the deep lying problem is that our balls out attacking 4-2-3-1 won't and doesn't work against teams who are strong out wide. It heavily exposes that Stewart and the LW aren't inputting enough energy defensively, and it doesn't appear as if they are told to either.

We need more balance against those teams - this may or may not require changing formation (to a WM formation?) or changing personnel by dropping one of the 3 main attackers(?), or even both.

Until we start adjusting to counteract our opponents, we will continue to be Jekyll and Hyde, giving some teams 4, and no showing against others, and completely neutralised.

As far as next season, I'm still hoping for a new LB and RB to go along with a natural wide left man and a proper break-down man.

To me the deep lying problem is that our balls out attacking 4-2-3-1 won't and doesn't work against teams who are strong out wide. It heavily exposes that Stewart and the LW aren't inputting enough energy defensively, and it doesn't appear as if they are told to either.

We need more balance against those teams - this may or may not require changing formation (to a WM formation?) or changing personnel by dropping one of the 3 main attackers(?), or even both.

Until we start adjusting to counteract our opponents, we will continue to be Jekyll and Hyde, giving some teams 4, and no showing against others, and completely neutralised.

As far as next season, I'm still hoping for a new LB and RB to go along with a natural wide left man and a proper break-down man.

What did you think of our tactic on Wednesday night?

Thought that the formation suited playing against Celtic so well and every player quite well and could be an idea for playing against the Old Firm in future. If we played our best team, I'm pretty sure we would have got humped just because it's too top heavy.

Meggatt is back fit so will probably get a shot at left back at some point in the next couple of months. Not too hopeful but he's only played at centre back for us (and even then, he's had a very small amount of game time which can't have helped) so always the chance he can show himself to be decent. If not, we'll really need to get him off the wage bill.

Exactly my thoughts. I've seen people saying "give him time, he'll come good" all season, but there has been no sign that he's actually learning as he keeps making the same mistakes time and again. He might be okay as a left mid since he's not too bad going forward, but his defending is questionable at best and he's barely an upgrade on Willie Dyer IMO.

He has improved quite a bit since the start of the season tbf. Yesterday was a poor individual mistake which was disappointing but he's been a lot more assured since November and has done less stupid things.

Like pointed out by several posters, he's got Loy in front of him which is far from ideal given his lack of defensive attributes and we generally play very open. The way we play, it'd take exceptional full backs to look strong. McGinn can look very weak some games just for the same reason.

I'd definitely be trying to get competition and also try to rebalance things but wouldn't be too harsh on him personally. Thought Low on his flank really helped once they got game time together so I'd be trying that again (or at least putting Kerr into midfield).

I think a pertinent question that needs to be asked, is why does Harkins produce a complete shiter of a performance every single time we are live on TV?

Almost every time we are on TV it's against Celtic/Aberdeen etc

Harkins always has game changing quality but anyone who can't see he consistently struggles against the better teams in the league is kidding themselves on.

See also Dundee Derby performances prior to their recent capitulation.

What did you think of our tactic on Wednesday night?

Thought that the formation suited playing against Celtic so well and every player quite well and could be an idea for playing against the Old Firm in future. If we played our best team, I'm pretty sure we would have got humped just because it's too top heavy.

Meggatt is back fit so will probably get a shot at left back at some point in the next couple of months. Not too hopeful but he's only played at centre back for us (and even then, he's had a very small amount of game time which can't have helped) so always the chance he can show himself to be decent. If not, we'll really need to get him off the wage bill.

Not had the chance to re-watch Wednesday back in full yet (only watched Rangers game back the once so far), but my initial analysis is that we played a balanced team with cover for our defensive players. Media are switching between calling it a 5-3-2 and a 3-5-2, but when I look at it, I see the WM that I was championing above.

The problem with Rangers was figuring out how they'd play. With their players out, that created uncertainty to PH probably, add on that no-one had really played an out and out attack, so you couldn't really decide how they would react to anything we done, unless we done what everyone else does which is sit back - which is why I would've done that (with improvements in personnel and countering), and not what we did - but PH can't be faulted for it - it's what he (and most would agree) thinks is our strongest XI (minus Loy possibly).

Take this with whatever you amount of salt you want - but I was told by a "friend" that Meggatt was signed to primarily be CH back-up, not LB, which would explain why even in Holts lowest hour he isn't dropped for Darryl, but I'm not averse to seeing how he performs there, but just not against Hearts.

I'd like to see McGinn and Holt given the cover they so desperately need, especially if we are going to insist on them getting forward.

It's like the old Andre Villa-Boas joke that goes around in coaching circles - he loves a high line, but doesn't coach his teams to press, which results in balls over the top and through causing mayhem when the CM of the opposition gets too much time or space. Every simple idea has something else which you need to do to make it work correctly - in this case attacking FBs require the holding CMs (not just 2 CMs like Ross and Gowzer) to be able to either replace the CHs when they fall wide to cover, or to even cover the FBs themselves.

The reason Harkins doesn't perform on the TV is quite simple. The televised games tend to be against Celtic Utd Aberdeen. Harkins is a good mid table player and performs better v teams like Hamilton Well Killie etc. Nothing sinister that is the level he performs at stands out against

Has Hartley come out and apologised to the support for Saturdays 'pantomime' yet?

Nope. Hopefully he's been forcing the rest of the squad to rewatch the calamity on repeat, so they know what they should avoid doing in the future.

PH is too stubborn to ever say makes mistakes. He likes to talk after a result of 'our gameplan' or 'our shape was spot on ie look how clever I am. When it goes tits up as it regularly does in our big games he 'cant understand it' 'can't put his finger on it' ie our gameplan znd tactics were shite.

A real man would have addressed our full backs getting ripped after 20 mins. Likewise the 6-2 game. Teams cannot believe there luck getting away with same trick throughout games.

Will carry this on in this thread as I don't give to fucks about St. J

How many of us are happy with holts performances this season?

Seems to be the biggest talking point ? Do people see him improving ? Does he not get enough protection in front of him? Or do you think we need to be looking elsewhere ?

I'll copy an paste my post from St. Johnstone thread....

At the risk of upsetting fellow Dee's no, Cammy Kerr shouldn't be played instead of Holt.

Young players need nurtured and developed properly, not thrown in out of position because someone is struggling. It's turning into "anyone but Holt" at the minute and whilst he has made some high profile individual errors he has also been part of a defence that has had 5 clean sheets in 9 games or something similar.

I can make more of a case for Wighton as I don't think he has a final position yet and there tends to be less pressure on forward players but again why take a square peg out of a round hole (Loy on the left) only to replace him with another?

Some of the more reactionary posters are starting a bit of a witch hunt (similar to ones we've had for Hemmings and Nick Ross earlier in the season) after a few bad games/mistakes.

I look at it this way - Kevin Holt is the best LB at the club at the moment - therefore he starts for me.

Can we sign better? maybe - if we can then get them signed up. Nothing controversial there - if we can improve on Scott Bain, GGH, Hemmings etc my policy is the same.

Will carry this on in this thread as I don't give two fucks about St. J

How many of us are happy with holts performances this season?

Seems to be the biggest talking point ? Do people see him improving ? Does he not get enough protection in front of him? Or do you think we need to be looking elsewhere ?

I'd like competition brought in (unless Meggatt gets fit and shows he's capable) but don't think he's near as bad as made out to be. The system we play means we sacrifice our full backs being protected and makes for a much tougher job.

Hoping that Williams coming in will give Holt a boost this summer. I'd expect a much better second season from him and I think he has grown quite a bit over the course of the season.

Hemmings who was on his back?

It felt like everyone! Heard several comments and booing directed towards him (particularly at the 2-2 derby) with many describing him as our worst forward in years.

Arturo seems to be getting the same treatment after only featuring for a tiny amount of game time.

I was one of the few that liked Hemmings from the start, so don't know where you've plucked that assertion from GMan.

For what it's worth, I'm a massive fan of Holt although it hard to deny he's struggling massively at the moment.