The Northern Ireland Euro 2016 Qualifying Thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been announced publicly yet, but a consensus was finally reached amongst all the political parties behind the scenes. GSTQ is going to be replaced by Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl and the Union Flag will be replaced with a white flag containing a red hand with middle finger rampant..

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607999655301744981&pid=15.1&P=0

Decent start by Northern Ireland so hope they can qualify. Interesting that the new qualifying criteria has seen a few of the smaller team's starting very well - Iceland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Are teams now thinking they have a chance and raising their game or is it just a combination of decent managers and better players? There's also a lot of anger and bitterness on this thread about Northern Ireland which is pretty embarrassing

Would he have given up on Celtic so easily in response to a crank call from a solitary nutter in a payphone?

Probably not, but I don't think it was just that incident though, was it? I'm sure I remember him saying that was the straw that broke his back.

Was he not subjected to a sustained campaignof abuse against him from his own fans for having the temerity to be a NI catholic who played for Celtc?

Not really, but that's the way it was spun by people with an agenda. He was popular with the NI support when he was a Leicester City player by all accounts and I think was even known to kiss the badge on his jersey from time to time (AFJ is really the person to ask on this obviously and will know way more than I do). After he moved to Celtic what ticked off the NI support was that he was interviewed in a Sunday newspaper saying he would rather play for a United Ireland team. After that he started to be booed in a big way. Hee haw to do with him being an RC, it may have partially been due to being a Celtic player but there seemed to be no huge issues for Paddy McCourt so the reality is that it was mainly due to doing something equivalent to somebody like Barry Ferguson telling a journalist he would prefer to play for a Team GB. How would the Scotland support respond to that? I suspect some would boo and I suspect some people with an agenda would start spewing about there being an anti-British agenda amongst the Scotland support if they did.

The only catholic players that ever really got stick from the NI fans tended to be Celtic players, doesn't excuse it in any way but the idea that any catholic was a target for the haters is nonsense, Pat Jennings, Mal Donaghy and Martin O'Neill are amongst the most loved players to have played for Norn Iron ,all catholics.

Incidentally Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt were well recieved by the vast majority of fans when playing for NI.

Didn't Lennon quit international football after threats made against him and his family?

Aye, great advert for the tolerance and inclusiveness of TFS and it's football team.

Why am I not surprised that it's you with this regurgitated part-truth?

It was one w****r in a payphone who made the threat, and there was no evidence whatsoever that it was a football fan. Are you going to similarly castigate Scots, given that he had plenty of threats here? Anyone who makes threats like this is a moron, that is a given, but it is not an excuse to denigrate an entire set of fans, many of whom stood up to the bigotry and challenged it.

The Northern Ireland fans, as already pointed out, won an award for overcoming the bigotry previously evident, and the small group of 70/80 morons who booed him against Norway were a catalyst for this change, hardly suggestive of a majority of cretins, as posted earlier by someone who tried to make the debate religious. Neil Lennon has frequently acknowledged this sea change.

The team is inclusive and my mate from the New Lodge Road is a huge supporter, as are many of all and no religion. My childhood heroes were George Best, Pat Jennings and Gerry Armstrong. I suspect many NI fans felt the same?

Probably not, but I don't think it was just that incident though, was it? I'm sure I remember him saying that was the straw that broke his back.

Was he not subjected to a sustained campaignof abuse against him from his own fans for having the temerity to be a NI catholic who played for Celtc?

No.

What's the latest on NI's anthem? Any plans to change it?

There is a sizeable groundswell of opinion for change, with Danny Boy often mentioned. I reckon we should go for "Alternative Ulster".

First in was nonsense, now it's a half truth? ;)

I was only asking, no need to get your knee jerky knickers in a twist, AFJ. I didn't mention a "majority of cretins" or anything like that. I have read though that the support for the NI team only tended to come from one communitah. If that's not the case happy to stand corrected.

Although I'm sure you'll forgive me for saying your views should probably also taken with a pinch given your past inability to be objective about NI. One minute you claim there was no campaign the next there was 80 fans booing him? I'm not a fan of Lennon at all, but I don't think this is an instance where he should be criticised.

First in was nonsense, now it's a half truth? ;)

I was only asking, no need to get your knee jerky knickers in a twist, AFJ. I didn't mention a "majority of cretins" or anything like that. I have read though that the support for the NI team only tended to come from one communitah. If that's not the case happy to stand corrected.

Although I'm sure you'll forgive me for saying your views should probably also taken with a pinch given your past inability to be objective about NI. One minute you claim there was no campaign the next there was 80 fans booing him? I'm not a fan of Lennon at all, but I don't think this is an instance where he should be criticised.

I'm not criticising him at all, (in fact I admire him for speaking up for the NI fans when it could easily have attracted the opprobrium of the more extreme Celtic Park denizens like the Green Brigade), nor am I contradicting myself. He was booed in one game by a very small minority of the crowd, but there was no, " sustained campaign", to speak off. As for the arseholes who phoned threats, well, I don't really need to say anything, do I?

I'm sorry for being snippy, but you sometimes come across as being too ready to believe the worst of NI, although you are nowhere near as bad as a few "special" posters on here and, in general, you are a good poster.

I know you haven't referred to, "cretinous", supporters either, that was the poster who tried to make this a religious issue?

I would also argue that my view of NI is fairly objective, albeit slightly tinged with my own preferences, although my condemnation of extremists is most certainly objective because I have and will continue to condemn them all.

• 4 months later...

Bigotry against who? Strange that you're playing the bigotry card, with the NI team supposedly being a team for all people it seems odd to associate a criticism of the national team as a criticism against a particular type of people. Just be honest, you mean Protestants, don't you? I wonder why.

The fans are what make the Northern Ireland national side cretinous. An all inclusive fan base it certainly is not. That and the fact that N.I isn't a country, so getting all excited about the team of a state that should never have existed is pretty stupid. Nobody in their right mind from the six counties would be a patriotic Northern Irishman, you're Irish or British.

I refer to it as the six counties because I've read up on the history of Northern Ireland (with no outside influence as my family is mixed and neither parent has ever tried to force political opinions on me) and came to the conclusion that it's an absolute farce that Northern Ireland exists. Every time British people have settled somewhere it's lead to trouble, what better example is than the pinching of six of Irelands counties?

You could if you like. Scotland has been an established nation for hundreds of years so it wouldn't make too much sense, although after this year's referendum it wouldn't be an outrageous shout.

Aye

Archived