The Northern Ireland Euro 2016 Qualifying Thread

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always inexplicably pleased when the Norn do well, so tonight was a shame, only mitigated by the fact that Romania are overdue a qualification. Still plenty of time to recover/f**k it up, though.

Do I require therapy for harbouring these thoughts, P&B?

Always inexplicably pleased when the Norn do well, so tonight was a shame, only mitigated by the fact that Romania are overdue a qualification. Still plenty of time to recover/f**k it up, though.

Having followed us for years, I'd wager the latter is more likely. Said in a "Hoping desperately that I'm wrong" fashion ;)

Having followed us for years, I'd wager the latter is more likely. Said in a "Hoping desperately that I'm wrong" fashion ;)

I'd suggest that Northern Ireland have taken the "glorious failure" tag from us in recent times. If they had our group, you really wouldn't be surprised if they got a win in Germany and lost at home to Gibraltar. Mental stuff.

Pretty decent overall track record for such a wee place, though.

Romania Last qualified in 2008, im not that clued up on them as a country so i dont know if theyre underachieving.

Didnt Marius Nicaulae of ICT play in the euros for them?

Romania Last qualified in 2008, im not that clued up on them as a country so i dont know if theyre underachieving.

Didnt Marius Nicaulae of ICT play in the euros for them?

I just like to see them at tournaments; absolute class acts at USA 94. Better than Brazil or Italy IMO.

They've been poor for a good ten years, so I'm more hoping that they've got a good side again.

Pretty decent overall track record for such a wee place, though.

Good shout Dave. Question for The G&W Army followers on here. How much of your recent prowess is down to Michael O'Neill?

My impression is that he's terrific so far and seemed to have found a good formula.

I'm guessing you have Romanian relatives then?

We may well f*ck up, but we'll qualify for something before Hibs win the Scottish Cup ;)

No, although if you want to know one of the Norn Iron starters against Romania is my godfathers nephew.

I know plenty of people from the six counties, some friends and some relatives. I like every one of them, but it helps that none of them would associate themselves with the cretinous Northern Ireland "national" team.

Last bit's a zinger m8.

romanovpalm.pngromanovpalm.pngromanovpalm.png

I don't mind a laugh at Hibs' expense if it's well done, but that is without exaggeration one of the most tragic attempts at humour I've ever seen. If you really posted that in order to try and take the piss I genuinely pity you.

No, although if you want to know one of the Norn Iron starters against Romania is my godfathers nephew.

I know plenty of people from the six counties, some friends and some relatives. I like every one of them, but it helps that none of them would associate themselves with the cretinous Northern Ireland "national" team.

Seems more like an attempt to disguise your own bigotry.

Why is my national side "cretinous?" (I can't wait).

Why do you refer to Northern Ireland as the six counties?

Should I refer to Scotland as the 33 counties in the future?

Seems more like an attempt to disguise your own bigotry.

Why is my national side "cretinous?" (I can't wait).

Why do you refer to Northern Ireland as the six counties?

Should I refer to Scotland as the 33 counties in the future?

Bigotry against who? Strange that you're playing the bigotry card, with the NI team supposedly being a team for all people it seems odd to associate a criticism of the national team as a criticism against a particular type of people. Just be honest, you mean Protestants, don't you? I wonder why.

The fans are what make the Northern Ireland national side cretinous. An all inclusive fan base it certainly is not. That and the fact that N.I isn't a country, so getting all excited about the team of a state that should never have existed is pretty stupid. Nobody in their right mind from the six counties would be a patriotic Northern Irishman, you're Irish or British.

I refer to it as the six counties because I've read up on the history of Northern Ireland (with no outside influence as my family is mixed and neither parent has ever tried to force political opinions on me) and came to the conclusion that it's an absolute farce that Northern Ireland exists. Every time British people have settled somewhere it's lead to trouble, what better example is than the pinching of six of Irelands counties?

You could if you like. Scotland has been an established nation for hundreds of years so it wouldn't make too much sense, although after this year's referendum it wouldn't be an outrageous shout.

Bigotry against who? Strange that you're playing the bigotry card, with the NI team supposedly being a team for all people it seems odd to associate a criticism of the national team as a criticism against a particular type of people.

I'm not playing any card, I was positing a potential reason for your apparent loathing of a near neighbour which, whether you like it or not, exists as a country.

I took your criticism of my national team, (and how can it be a national team, (your words), if we are not a nation, (again, your words)?), as a reason to ask you a question, mainly because your comments appeared ill-informed and erroneous.

The fans are what make the Northern Ireland national side cretinous. An all inclusive fan base it certainly is not. That and the fact that N.I isn't a country, so getting all excited about the team of a state that should never have existed is pretty stupid.

Is it a team for all? I would certainly contend so, as would my friends of varying religions, although I have no religion myself.

Not convinced? Ask Neil Lennon, who said, "People like Stewart are the unsung heroes who have been brave enough to challenge sectarianism and who have actively created a more fun, safe and family-orientated atmosphere at international games. Fans like Stewart have made the atmosphere at Northern Ireland football games in recent years the envy of fans across not only Europe but World football. From a personal point of view I would like to thank them for their efforts", in reference to Northern Ireland fans winning the 2006 Brussels International Supporters Award for their charity work,

general good humour and behaviour and efforts to stamp out sectarianism.

Ask Northern Ireland Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, Carál Ní Chuilín, the first senior Sinn Féin representative to attend an international at Windsor Park, when she commended "The very real efforts that have been made by the IFA to tackle sectarianism at their matches" after a match in August 2011.

Nobody in their right mind from the six counties would be a patriotic Northern Irishman, you're Irish or British.

If you are either, "Irish or British", then why is Northern Irish given as a census option, as it is on many official forms?

You really do seem to think in diametrically opposed shades and hues. A large number of people refer to themselves as such, with the other options hijacked by extremists, although that is not to say that numerous moderates do not see themselves in those terms. Choice was a non-negotiable tenet of the GFA.

Bigotry against who? Strange that you're playing the bigotry card, with the NI team supposedly being a team for all people it seems odd to associate a criticism of the national team as a criticism against a particular type of people. Just be honest, you mean Protestants, don't you? I wonder why.

As for the utterly laughable remark, "Just be honest, you mean Protestants, don't you? I wonder why?"

I would suggest that this says much more about the way you think than it does about me.

I'm not playing any card, I was positing a potential reason for your apparent loathing of a near neighbour which, whether you like it or not, exists as a country.

I took your criticism of my national team, (and how can it be a national team, (your words), if we are not a nation, (again, your words)?), as a reason to ask you a question, mainly because your comments appeared ill-informed and erroneous.

Is it a team for all? I would certainly contend so, as would my friends of varying religions, although I have no religion myself.

Not convinced? Ask Neil Lennon, who said, "People like Stewart are the unsung heroes who have been brave enough to challenge sectarianism and who have actively created a more fun, safe and family-orientated atmosphere at international games. Fans like Stewart have made the atmosphere at Northern Ireland football games in recent years the envy of fans across not only Europe but World football. From a personal point of view I would like to thank them for their efforts", in reference to Northern Ireland fans winning the 2006 Brussels International Supporters Award for their charity work,

general good humour and behaviour and efforts to stamp out sectarianism.

Ask Northern Ireland Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, Carál Ní Chuilín, the first senior Sinn Féin representative to attend an international at Windsor Park, when she commended "The very real efforts that have been made by the IFA to tackle sectarianism at their matches" after a match in August 2011.

If you are either, "Irish or British", then why is Northern Irish given as a census option, as it is on many official forms?

You really do seem to think in diametrically opposed shades and hues. A large number of people refer to themselves as such, with the other options hijacked by extremists, although that is not to say that numerous moderates do not see themselves in those terms. Choice was a non-negotiable tenet of the GFA.

As for the utterly laughable remark, "Just be honest, you mean Protestants, don't you? I wonder why?"

I would suggest that this says much more about the way you think than it does about me.

We could go round in circles all day. I'm not going to believe Northern Ireland's support doesn't have a w****r element that verges on the majority, nor will I believe the fact that Northern Ireland exists is a good thing. You'll be the opposite to me regardless of what is said.

The bit I object to is you saying I'm a bigot, when nothing I said originally was related to religion or politics.

Wonder who his godfather's nephew is, if he didn't just make that up?

Aaron Hughes. I've never met him though.

We could go round in circles all day. I'm not going to believe Northern Ireland's support doesn't have a w****r element that verges on the majority, nor will I believe the fact that Northern Ireland exists is a good thing. You'll be the opposite to me regardless of what is said.

The bit I object to is you saying I'm a bigot, when nothing I said originally was related to religion or politics.

Aaron Hughes. I've never met him though.

No need to go round in circles, just read what Neil Lennon and Sinn Fein said on the matter, or is that not enough for you?

As for being a bigot, why can't you accept the opinions of the above people, (who, I would suggest, have no vested interest), rather than introduce "Protestants" into the equation in an attempt to foul the waters? That was you, not me, and how is denying the existence of a country on political grounds to be seen, other than political?

Of course we have a w****r element, as all supports do, but they are far from the majority. I base that on going to games. What do you base your assumptions on?

For me, it is a question about football supporters, not religion or politics.

Archived