Falkirk v Alloa

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity, what do Falkirk fans consider their 'true position'? Falkirk have been predominantly a second tier team for my lifetime, so I'm not sure where the triumphalism comes from. Not an attempt at trolling, BTW - I was quite chuffed to see you guys in Europe, for what it's worth.

You'd expect us to lose today, but we're capable of picking up something. Assuming Falkirk pick up and start moving up the table soon, I'd suggest that a nice tight away performance to build on would be the most important thing.

Out of curiosity, what do Falkirk fans consider their 'true position'? Falkirk have been predominantly a second tier team for my lifetime, so I'm not sure where the triumphalism comes from. Not an attempt at trolling, BTW - I was quite chuffed to see you guys in Europe, for what it's worth.

You'd expect us to lose today, but we're capable of picking up something. Assuming Falkirk pick up and start moving up the table soon, I'd suggest that a nice tight away performance to build on would be the most important thing.

Well last 25 years for instance we've had 9 in the top league & 16 in the second tier so I think it's fair to say we are not too far from where we have been historically...I would say near the bottom of the top or near the top of the first is where would should be.....I personally think though that when you see smaller clubs than us like st Johnstone Ross county accies more than holding their own in the top flight it does feel we are under performing even though history says otherwise

In my 10 years following Falkirk weve had 5 seasons in the top tier and 5 in the second. Weve been in Europe, had multiple trips to Hampden and sold several players for 6 figure sums of money.

The last few years have generally been pretty dire on the park, and off it weve had yesgate, announcergate and now flag gate, and yet still we command a very decent support.

Given how well our average home crowd stacks up against the likes of Hamilton, Inverness, St Johnstone, St Mirren & Ross County, I really don't think it's unrealistic to feel we should (though of course we have no devine right to) be in the Premiership.

Think a win for Falkirk but not a goal feast or a spectacle that will last for years to come. It is only bloody Alloa after all and they like to defend with 9 men if my memory serves me well. The first two games against Alloa last year were an advert for euthanasia ! The third saw a Roberts melt down and the fourth happily a rout. Still remember fondly the brilliant Alloa celebrations after the game when they kept their league position. Best sight of the whole season watching the keeper go from sitting dejected to standing on the hoarding in front of the fans. Well done Alloa fans that day

The first game was very tight and both teams strugged to create much. Alloa were no more defensive than Falkirk. In the second game we played almost everyone behind the ball in the first half and mightily pissed off Falkirk. In the second half we opened up and missed two great chances. Third game we won easily in the end and scored some really good goals. Final game was very open and Bain made some great saves early on. We came into it though and Caddis missed an open goal at 1-1. McGovern made a couple of great saves and the goal to make it 3-1 came in injury time. In no way was it a "rout".

Too many defensive mistakes from the Wasps so far this season and we won't win many games until that's sorted. Expect a home win unfortunately.

In my 10 years following Falkirk weve had 5 seasons in the top tier and 5 in the second. Weve been in Europe, had multiple trips to Hampden and sold several players for 6 figure sums of money.

The last few years have generally been pretty dire on the park, and off it weve had yesgate, announcergate and now flag gate, and yet still we command a very decent support.

Great point and this is where a sense of realism is required from our fans. Some of the younger fans are used to seeing us do well and it's fair to say we've been spoiled over the years. Back in '98 we nearly went under and there might have not been a FFC.

Statistics will also tell us that we are a bit of a yo-yo club in the sense of promotions/relegations over the years. Of course it doesn't mean that we accept mediocrity but at the same time, we are only Falkirk

Well last 25 years for instance we've had 9 in the top league & 16 in the second tier so I think it's fair to say we are not too far from where we have been historically...I would say near the bottom of the top or near the top of the first is where would should be.....I personally think though that when you see smaller clubs than us like st Johnstone Ross county accies more than holding their own in the top flight it does feel we are under performing even though history says otherwise

I think we have been unlucky when we have been in the top league, a lot of the times when we have been, the strength in the teams in the league has been strong, since we have been relegated, the teams up there have been getting weaker and weaker which has created a much of a muchness. I think the bottom 6 last season points to that where I think all bottom 5 teams could have effectively claimed that 2nd bottom slot.

I have preferred my years in the 1st div over my time, but as a team you should strive to be better or it just becomes a social gathering

i've said many a time that our position is not that far off realistic, we are not a big club. but we are big for a small club some seasons we can do well enough to be up there in the top devision and comfortable others we will have mid table in the 2nd and everything in between. we would be exceptionaly jammy to be chasing top 4 and europe and exceptionaly pish to be in a relegation fight in the 2nd. that is the reality of life as a club in a central belt town dominated by OF fans where youre revenue is limited.

selling all youre best players certainly doesnt help but for all the flack the board takes there isnt all that much you can do when these boys WANT to go and play for bigger teams.

Positives - great strike from leahy, first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes were actually pretty good, what a difference cooper and Vaulks made.

Negatives - Tudor jones, smith, taiwo McCracken were pretty terrible, Alston never did much either, McDonald had to keep Falkirk in the game a few times with some pretty good saves. Alloa were probably the better team until leahy scored

A win is a win and a will take that everyday of the week. A fitting goal to win any game aswell. Special mention to Rory Loy. When things aren't going for you, pure determination and hard work gets you there in the end.

Think in the end we deserved it. When Cooper and Boulding came on we looked like a threat, why we don't play with more attackers against these teams at home, I don't know.

Thought Alloa were OK without causing us that many problems. The penalty was a stonewaller but not a red card IMO.

A win is a win and a will take that everyday of the week. A fitting goal to win any game aswell. Special mention to Rory Loy. When things aren't going for you, pure determination and hard work gets you there in the end.

Think in the end we deserved it. When Cooper and Boulding came on we looked like a threat, why we don't play with more attackers against these teams at home, I don't know.

Thought Alloa were OK without causing us that many problems. The penalty was a stonewaller but not a red card IMO.

Looked like a certain penalty on boulding near the end as well..Taiwo has went to pieces ...jones a lumbering oaf...how he is a full international I will never know...stupidity from McCracken as their boy had a bit to do. Apart from their number nine they never really troubled us that much. Fantastic strike from leahy to win the game. Thought vaulks was great when he came on & central midfield may be his position...cooper also good the subs made an impact

Messages from today -

- Smith is fucking garbage and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

- Playing both Taiwo and OTJ against the smaller teams in the league is rank stupidity. One or the other.

- if we insist on pumping high balls forward, we should start with Boulding and have Loy going for knockdowns.

- Alloa players are a girny lot and I was surprised that there weren't bookings for dissent

- whilst it was a penalty, it was offside in the buildup

- Loy needs to cut out the diving

In my view we finished the game with probably our strongest side. Could Vaulks play DM for 90 minutes?

Happyish....a win is a win I suppose but we made hard work of it and I wouldn't have said it was unfair if it finished all square.

As been said, we finished the game with a more balanced 11, Vaulks creates space,tackles and plays easy and clever passes, Cooper creates width in a team in which we effectively started with 4 central midfielders and in Building,he didn't do a great deal,but did more in 15mins that Smith has done in every game he has played so far. Smith is no better than Botti or Shepherd as it stands.

Will Houstie be brave enough to drop 3 players from the starting line up an swap for Boulding ,Vaulks and Cooper..... I think not and will only perhaps make room for Cooper....still lets have a beer

Archived