General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Labour are an utter shambles.

Is that jmothecat lad still on here? He was a proper "donkey in a red rosette" Labour supporter. I'd be interested to see his take on the clusterfuck that is the Northern British Accounting Division of the UK Labour Party.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labour are an utter shambles.

Is that jmothecat lad still on here? He was a proper "donkey in a red rosette" Labour supporter. I'd be interested to see his take on the clusterfuck that is the Northern British Accounting Division of the UK Labour Party.

Jim the Cat currently on the cricket forum.

We tried to ask him some valid questions a while back.... but only got the 'my da voted labour' 'vote labour keep out the torys' p!sh

We tried to ask him some valid questions a while back.... but only got the 'my da voted labour' 'vote labour keep out the torys' p!sh

Vote Labour keep out the Tories?

That's certainly a brand new argument which I've neve heard before. Perhaps Slab should use it sometime.

^_^

My dad has never voted Labour. I don't vote Labour because I believe they are brilliant, but because I think they are better than anyone else. Keeping out the Tories is one of my incentives for voting Labour this election. It isn't 'pish', it's because Tory policy has a negative impact on things I find important.

Politically I am left-leaning centrist, I believe Labour are broadly a left-leaning centrist party. I don't like Ed Miliband, I'm worried about the direction Labour appear to be going in, I think some of their policies go against my personal views, but ultimately I would rather they form the next government than any of the alternatives.

When it comes to Scottish Labour, I don't live in Scotland, but of what I read on twitter, Facebook and the limited media coverage Scottish politics gets down here it's felt like Labour are setting the agenda. Issues such as alcohol at football and Labour's victory in stopping the women's super prison seem to have been regularly discussed whilst Nicola Sturgeon's only impact has been an embarrassing appearance on Question Time in which she was shown to be completely out of her depth when up against big hitters. I wish Jim Murphy led UK labour not just Scottish Labour. Far closer to me politically than Ed, and IMO a better politician generally.

My dad has never voted Labour. I don't vote Labour because I believe they are brilliant, but because I think they are better than anyone else. Keeping out the Tories is one of my incentives for voting Labour this election. It isn't 'pish', it's because Tory policy has a negative impact on things I find important.

Politically I am left-leaning centrist, I believe Labour are broadly a left-leaning centrist party. I don't like Ed Miliband, I'm worried about the direction Labour appear to be going in, I think some of their policies go against my personal views, but ultimately I would rather they form the next government than any of the alternatives.

When it comes to Scottish Labour, I don't live in Scotland, but of what I read on twitter, Facebook and the limited media coverage Scottish politics gets down here it's felt like Labour are setting the agenda. Issues such as alcohol at football and Labour's victory in stopping the women's super prison seem to have been regularly discussed whilst Nicola Sturgeon's only impact has been an embarrassing appearance on Question Time in which she was shown to be completely out of her depth when up against big hitters. I wish Jim Murphy led UK labour not just Scottish Labour. Far closer to me politically than Ed, and IMO a better politician generally.

Are you having a laugh. Have u heard Murphy.

Nicola has saved Scotland from the bedroom tax, introduced free school meals for primary pupils, is pushing for a 1 country block on any future EU referendum, has doubled child care figures since labour were in, and is looking to double again. I could go on... I thought she performed really well on QT despite the dinasours she was up against... her rating in Scotland has increased. .

And all you can go on about is alcohol at football.

Keep lapping up the english press mate and supporting England over Scotland in cricket.

How is Jim Murphy closer to you politically if you're a left leaning centrist ?

I suppose if you are in England, and not on the ground in Scotland, it might look very different.

Alcohol at football is such a non-issue it is scary. I don't think it is influencing anyone's vote, and for that to be the (apparently) sole policy agenda for a social democratic party is frankly pathetic. Secondly, this was a Tory policy which has been stolen by Labour

The womens prison was already under reconsideration, and was a "Women for Indy" policy / suggestion. It was only seized on by Labour at the last minute, when it was clear the decision would probably change. See a theme...

On other issues (probably not reported in the UK press), Labour are embarrassing themselves daily. The NHS is the best example, where they have made outrageous claims and then quietly withdrawn them. Jenny Marra was on Radio Scotland this morning talking about bedblocking (Shona Robinson was on later) and Jenny was literally torn a new one. By the BBC!

Fascinating the difference in view on QT north and south of the border. I didn't think Nicola was out of her depth. She was merely speaking to a different agenda.

What, unprincipled opportunism?

As to the general state of politics up here, Scottish Labour are thrashing about, making a lot of noise and getting absolutely no traction on their chosen issues so far (alcohol at football, really? It's not a national issue, it's designed to try and attact 'Glasgow man' back to the warm busom of Labour, but even then it's patronsing in the extreme) - not helped by an abominable lack of discipline on message, or even basic research into their lines of attack, which is why you have the sight of Labour's health spokesperson up here complaining about under staffing in the NHS... in front of a building that was shut down and all the staff moved to a new facility.

All Slab have left is their blind hatred of the SNP. Indeed, they appear to be re-anacting the "SNP trolls iz bad" line that they rolled out in the referendum.

How dare the SNP steal the affections of the electorate. Labour have a divine right to that, don't they?

They have utterly nothing to offer.

I'd imagine the stuff on facebook, twitter etc is coming from the typical 'vote SNP get towreeeees' bridage, or from the the actual Labour party itself. They're having a complete shitemare in Glasgow at the moment, particularly regarding the council budget.

The absolute best thing you can say for Murphy is that he's recognisable, whereas Lamont was a complete no mark who Labour actively tried to hide from view. I suppose you could argue that he's stopped the rot a bit, but you would also have to say that he's really not gaining a huge number of voters back either.

Jings , what does that tell you about the English press................that we Scots did not know already.

My impression is Ed Miliband is on the left side of New Labour and Murphy on the right. And Labour are most certainly a centre right party. Miliband's biggest problem is he comes across as spineless.

you forgot gormless.

I think you provide a prime example of the biased media reporting combined with, generally, the differing agendas in Scottish and English politics.

To claim to be centre left and aligned to Jim Murphy shows the impact that the media has had on you. Jim Murphy is further right than Miliband and not far short of Cameron. The Scottish Centre Left is dominated by Sturgeon and the SNP and there is pretty much no significant representation of this within English Politics. I would guess that the media influence mentioned above has fostered a resentment of "Nationalists" or "separatists" which would desist you from any support for Sturgeon and probably even a significant loathing/ fear.

The alcohol at football debate is not setting any agenda, it is a sideshow that the majority of Scots will discuss their views on but won't form any political allegience for. The referendum has resulted in an awareness of far more pressing political and social concerns than this.

The womens prison example was a pathetic, last minute jump on a well established bandwagon that had rightly forced an SNP Government rethink. When it became clear the decision was to be changed, Labour started to make noises on it so it could claim a high ground that simply wasn't theirs. It was, in fact an excellent example of a Government willing to engage with it's people and alter previously committed policy in the face of robust arguments from expert advisors and campaigners. An indication perhaps of why 8 years into government the SNP still command very significant support in Scotland.

Labour, supported by BBC Scotland and the Daily Record, are trying to weaponise the Scottish NHS. They have already been caught fiddling statistics and embarrassing gaffes like protesting about staffing levels outside a closed medical facility. The media keep pointing out that the SNP are missing their targets whilst totally failing to mention that on pretty much every meaningful measure the Scottish NHS is now performing better, and contains more resources than it did when the SNP came to power in 2007. It is also currently recieving a higher public satisfaction rating than the NHS in England or Wales. Is it perfect? No. Is it in Crisis? Absolutely not and reporting that it is completely undermines the excellent work the people of the NHS do every single day! The fact that it isn't even a Westminster issue means, that for GE2015 purposes, it is also a sideshow.

The only GE2015 argument Scottish Labour have is that a vote for SNP means less Labour MP's and a greater chance of David Cameron being Prime Minister again. A theory that is relatively sound regardless of how light on policy and desperate it makes them seem. It is however easily countered by the fact that every Conservative Government since the 70's has been elected despite Scotland voting Labour, the most recent example being in 2010 when 41/59 Scottish MP's were Labour. A further problem with this argument is that Cameron has higher approval ratings in Scotland than Miliband (more accurate would be he has lower disapproval ratings...) so Scotland doesn't seem all that fussed that, in a two man choice, Cameron might win. However, in keeping with Scottish Labour's election campaign thus far, there are examples from several individual sources that they would encourage a tactical vote for the Tories or would prefer to enter coalition with them rather than the SNP.... incredible that they have shot down their only real GE2015 argument. I would also respectfully suggest that is a slap in the puss for "left leaning centrists" like yourself.

Finally, for Sturgeon being "out her depth" on QT. I can guarantee that not one SNP vote was lost during that show, not one. She stood absolutely resolute in her beliefs relating to Trident and Austerity despite an extremely hostile panel and Audience. I was genuinely surprised at the level of support for Nuclear weapons in England and found myself despairing at the financially illiterate argument of "we need more troops", "we need nuclear weapons" and " we need to end Austerity".

Archived