General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SNP confirmed as having third party status at the House of Commons.

I know Salmond has ruled out becoming SNP commons leader, but surely he must be tempted. If I were in the SNP I could think of little more mouth-watering than the prospect of Salmond at PMQs.

There's been a lot said about how the SNP will be the main party holding the Tories to account, that's clearly not the case, but with Salmond at the forefront they could create that sort of perception. Would to wonders to consolidate SNP support surely.

Looking at the Wikipedia pages of the various General Elections, the last umpteen have listed the top three places with a leaders' photo in the side bar.

This time they've only listed the top two, and put Nicola lower down beside Clegg.

Someone's taken the hump at the Scots finishing third, methinks.

http://bbc.in/1E23jqP

Analysis: Scots in the House

From the BBC's Robin Chrystal

The SNPs tartan army has just arrived at Westminster after their stunning election victory. But what real influence will they have? The answer may be quite a bit.

Their aim is to have the status that the Liberal Democrats had in the 2005-2010 Parliament. Like them then, they are now the third largest party at Westminster. That means David Cameron is likely to face two questions a week from the SNPs Parliamentary leader Angus Robertson at Prime Ministers Questions.

pleasing.jpg

They can also look forward to chairing two Commons committees. The obvious choice would be the Scottish Affairs Committee. If so that could lead to an explosive mix as most of the others on it will be Conservative MPs due to their numbers in Parliament.

pleasing.jpg

Crucially, too, it means they will have two members on the Liaison Committee - another chance to quiz the PM, and at greater length than at Prime Ministers Questions.

pleasing.jpg

As the third party, the SNP will also be part of what's known in Westminster as the usual channels: the MPs who know a fortnight in advance what will be debated in the Commons.

pleasing.jpg

All that has to be agreed with the Speaker of the Commons, but its hard to see how it could be denied.

Then theres the money. The taxpayer pays to fund the work of political parties at Westminster. The formula is based on the number of MPs a party has and the number of votes they won at the election. For the SNP with 56 MPs and just under one and a half million votes, that works out at £1.7m a year.

pleasing.jpg

http://bbc.in/1E23jqP

Analysis: Scots in the House

From the BBC's Robin Chrystal

The SNPs tartan army has just arrived at Westminster after their stunning election victory. But what real influence will they have? The answer may be quite a bit.

Their aim is to have the status that the Liberal Democrats had in the 2005-2010 Parliament. Like them then, they are now the third largest party at Westminster. That means David Cameron is likely to face two questions a week from the SNPs Parliamentary leader Angus Robertson at Prime Ministers Questions.

pleasing.jpg

They can also look forward to chairing two Commons committees. The obvious choice would be the Scottish Affairs Committee. If so that could lead to an explosive mix as most of the others on it will be Conservative MPs due to their numbers in Parliament.

pleasing.jpg

Crucially, too, it means they will have two members on the Liaison Committee - another chance to quiz the PM, and at greater length than at Prime Ministers Questions.

pleasing.jpg

As the third party, the SNP will also be part of what's known in Westminster as the usual channels: the MPs who know a fortnight in advance what will be debated in the Commons.

pleasing.jpg

All that has to be agreed with the Speaker of the Commons, but its hard to see how it could be denied.

Then theres the money. The taxpayer pays to fund the work of political parties at Westminster. The formula is based on the number of MPs a party has and the number of votes they won at the election. For the SNP with 56 MPs and just under one and a half million votes, that works out at £1.7m a year.

pleasing.jpg

Funny how it's the first most people have heard about those details now that it's the only show in town who are on the receiving end.

I know Salmond has ruled out becoming SNP commons leader, but surely he must be tempted. If I were in the SNP I could think of little more mouth-watering than the prospect of Salmond at PMQs.

There's been a lot said about how the SNP will be the main party holding the Tories to account, that's clearly not the case, but with Salmond at the forefront they could create that sort of perception. Would to wonders to consolidate SNP support surely.

Apart from your sad belief that the labour party are capable of holding the tories to account, I totally agree with you there. The Vince McMahon gif has got me all excited about salmond cracking skulls at pmq

As well as the leader getting two questions at PMQs, SNP MPs will be called more often as well for individual questions. You'll be looking at at least 2/3 every session.

Yassss 2 of my comments got into the top 'worst rated comments' on a Daily Mail article about the SNP today

A lot of seethe

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1431356927.166436.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1431356955.217675.jpg

You are proud of the fact a comment you've made looking forward to the deaths of people who disagree with you politically has been rated badly?

You are proud of the fact a comment you've made looking forward to the deaths of people who disagree with you politically has been rated badly?

And not even that, proud of the fact that his posts are unpopular on a comments section which is plainly a parody of itself.

Archived