Any lunatics still thinking Messi is the best?

Mr Romanov

Don't mean to make you feel worse mate but that was 2002, not 2006. That 'over 10 years' is nearly a decade and a half now. [emoji20]

Aye f**k knows why I said over ten :lol: 2002 is my favourite World Cup due to my love for that Brazil side. I can still remember watching the England Brazil game before going to school. The less said about Brazil since 2006 onwards the better.

Aye f**k knows why I said over ten :lol: 2002 is my favourite World Cup due to my love for that Brazil side. I can still remember watching the England Brazil game before going to school. The less said about Brazil since 2006 onwards the better.

It's amazing, I'm 24 and to me Brazil are always going to be the number 1 national team, even if they've been shite in comparison for a while now. The amount of players they had, the my seemed so glamorous in comparison to other players and nations.

Bairns nowadays will think it's all about Spain and Germany.

It's amazing, I'm 24 and to me Brazil are always going to be the number 1 national team, even if they've been shite in comparison for a while now. The amount of players they had, the my seemed so glamorous in comparison to other players and nations.

Bairns nowadays will think it's all about Spain and Germany.

Same here. There was part of me that was totally gutted after they were destroyed by Germany but there was also part of me that was glad. A shadow of their former selves.

Sweeper i read an article or two by Tim vickery years ago apparently the big concern is they don't produce cultured central midfielder anymore where as this used to be the bedrock of their team.  The theory was that fullbacks became so attacking cm had to become like extra cbs so you got gilberto silva instead of didi or vava.   Don't know much more than that,  they still have an incredible squad and we're much better than that Germany game just badly managed. 

Also brailian players typically love to party and tend to tail off about 28 because of that

On 29/12/2016 at 21:07, Dunning1874 said:

That's not really the point though - while the likes of Baresi, Beckenbauer, Passarella and whoever else you want to mention may have been as individuals better defenders than any defender playing today, this doesn't mean forwards have it easier.

Tactics have developed to the point that the game is far, far harder for attackers now than it ever has been in the past, even if no individual defenders are as good as they were in the past. Yes, Maradona got treatment from defenders far worse than anything Messi has ever had to face, but even accounting for that the difference in the time and space afforded to attackers simply means it is far, far more difficult for attacking players today than it was 25 years ago. The changes in tactical set up from teams as a whole - not necessarily better tactical awareness from individuals, but better organised XIs - limit the space and opportunities available to attackers, it's considerably more difficult to score now than ever before as a result, yet Messi & Ronaldo have absolutely smashed goalscoring records over a ridiculous number of seasons.

got to disagree mate, the game now is based towards the attacking side of things, aside from grappling at corners, defenders are basically outlawed from doing pretty much anything now to the point where an attacker can throw his leg into a defender to initiate contact and get the foul

if i was a defender id much rather play 30 years ago than now given how the game has changed, its definitely better for us as a spectacle (most of the time) though

9 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Anyone wonder why the Brazilian decline has been so prominent? Their league has never been the strongest so domestic issues can't be to blame.

has it really been a decline though, people think of brazil as either the pele era or the first ronaldo side, but since 1974 when the pele era was effectively over, germany have won the WC more times, with italy and argentina winning it the same amount of times as brazil

22 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

So the greatest of all time Lionel Messi finishes the year as the top goal scorer in Europe, again. Genuinely hard to imagine that someone will better his footballing ability.

Happy new year to all.

Messi finally putting distance between himself and folk like Ally McCoist, Dudu Georgescu, Fernando Gomes and Mario Jardel. Cemented as GOAT top 5 imo.

Happy new year!

Sweeper i read an article or two by Tim vickery years ago apparently the big concern is they don't produce cultured central midfielder anymore where as this used to be the bedrock of their team.  The theory was that fullbacks became so attacking cm had to become like extra cbs so you got gilberto silva instead of didi or vava.   Don't know much more than that,  they still have an incredible squad and we're much better than that Germany game just badly managed. 

Also brailian players typically love to party and tend to tail off about 28 because of that

28 you say...

2-cafu.jpg

So the greatest of all time Lionel Messi finishes the year as the top goal scorer in Europe, again. Genuinely hard to imagine that someone will better his footballing ability.

Happy new year to all.

But if you compare him to Lampard, Lampard is much better at his position than Messi would be. Lampard's performance in the European Cup semi 2nd leg in 2012 is one of the best defensive midfielder performances you will ever see. Messi would be rubbish in that position.

On 1/1/2017 at 22:14, Peppino Impastato said:

What sort of absolute bellchief posts that cafu picture,  i believe Brazil have more than on pplayer

What, like Roberto Carlos (33 on his last cap), Taffarel (32) and Lucio (also 33)?  Even everyone's favourite plus-sized model Ronaldo was appearing in his early thirties.  Or would you prefer more recent options, like 33 year old Dani Alves?  He's really tailed off, only making 12 appearances last year for Brazil, 48 for Barcelona (over the traditional season) then had the temerity to piss off to that old retirement league Serie A.  Clearly done.

What you probably should have said is something along the lines of some Brazilian players wasting their talent and tailing off earlier than they should have.  It's hardly "typical".

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

You're seriously listing players?  Number 15on ignore,  first one for being a bellend re football

:lol:

A quick "aye, fair enough" would've done.  Or not saying silly things, then not throwing everything out the pram - toys and all - when someone calls you on it.

Think you'll manage to make that ignore stick this time, champ?

Edited by forameus