Any lunatics still thinking Messi is the best?

Mr Romanov

Cause there is no recorded footage of Maradona in his prime that we could refer to

The thing is, the only footage is of him in his prime. You don't see highlights or clips of whole games where he was awful and barely touched the ball. It's unfair to compare the two as you see Messi far, far more than you seen Maradona. It's a common problem with folk who look so lovingly on older era players, they only ever seen the best of their generations talents so assumed they were always like that, while we can watch Messi three times a week, and it's only natural he won't be at his best all the times.

But is Messi better than Maradona was? I don't think he is.

To be really honest I'm only 30 so I've only seen bits and pieces of Maradona but from the game he played to where the game is now the level of a professional footballer massively improved, Messi and Ronaldo makes these players look non existent and are so far in front of them it's scary.... so yes I'd say they both are.

To be really honest I'm only 30 so I've only seen bits and pieces of Maradona but from the game he played to where the game is now the level of a professional footballer massively improved, Messi and Ronaldo makes these players look non existent and are so far in front of them it's scary.... so yes I'd say they both are.[/

Maradona was making players look non existent 30 years ago as well.

Has the standard of football massively improved though?

Yes players are more professional, fitter and stronger due to advancements in sports science etc but does that mean the standard of player has improved though? Fitter and stronger doesn't mean that they are better football players.

For example to look at Scottish and English national sides. Are they producing the same standard of football player that they were in the 60's,70's and 80's? They are producing better athletes but I don't necessarily think they are producing better football players.

It is a very subjective argument and very difficult to come up with a definitive answer. For me it's Maradona with Messi a close second. In terms of pure football ability they are light years ahead of Ronaldo for me as he is far to reliant on pace and power whereas boys like Messi and Maradona it's pure footballing ability.

But I am happy to admit it depends on what style of player you enjoy watching.

Messi best ever

Ronaldo second best

I'd even say there's a whole load of guys from this era that would have absolutely taken the piss 30 year ago. Although maybe I'm being a bit naive saying that.

Standard, fitness and dedication of the guys added to sports science etc nowadays has made the game go to a whole new level IMO.

On 12/28/2016 at 09:50, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you think defenders of today are better than defenders of Maradona's era you are basically a loonie.

That's not really the point though - while the likes of Baresi, Beckenbauer, Passarella and whoever else you want to mention may have been as individuals better defenders than any defender playing today, this doesn't mean forwards have it easier.

Tactics have developed to the point that the game is far, far harder for attackers now than it ever has been in the past, even if no individual defenders are as good as they were in the past. Yes, Maradona got treatment from defenders far worse than anything Messi has ever had to face, but even accounting for that the difference in the time and space afforded to attackers simply means it is far, far more difficult for attacking players today than it was 25 years ago. The changes in tactical set up from teams as a whole - not necessarily better tactical awareness from individuals, but better organised XIs - limit the space and opportunities available to attackers, it's considerably more difficult to score now than ever before as a result, yet Messi & Ronaldo have absolutely smashed goalscoring records over a ridiculous number of seasons.

Maradona was making players look non existent 30 years ago as well.

Has the standard of football massively improved though?

Yes players are more professional, fitter and stronger due to advancements in sports science etc but does that mean the standard of player has improved though? Fitter and stronger doesn't mean that they are better football players.

For example to look at Scottish and English national sides. Are they producing the same standard of football player that they were in the 60's,70's and 80's? They are producing better athletes but I don't necessarily think they are producing better football players.

It is a very subjective argument and very difficult to come up with a definitive answer. For me it's Maradona with Messi a close second. In terms of pure football ability they are light years ahead of Ronaldo for me as he is far to reliant on pace and power whereas boys like Messi and Maradona it's pure footballing ability.

But I am happy to admit it depends on what style of player you enjoy watching.

I agree with a lot in this statement.

Yes for me football has massively improved your average Joe would be a world beater back then, I read a post about the tactical aspect of football and how it's changed and made scoring goals a lot harder and Messi and Ronaldo do it week in week out.

I think it's a cultural thing in Scotland we've always been guilty of over looking more technically gifted young players for those who seem to be of a more Athletic player, tall, fast and powerful and for this our national team has suffered greatly and that's down to the pro youth set up we have nothing coming through.... the lad Burke was tipped to be Scotland's answer to Gareth Bale and for me he's the perfect example of what we are talking about, technically not great but a threat with his pace and power.

I think we should appreciate we get to watch Messi and Ronaldo so regularly as I think it'll be a long long time before we see anything close to these two.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

That's not really the point though - while the likes of Baresi, Beckenbauer, Passarella and whoever else you want to mention may have been as individuals better defenders than any defender playing today, this doesn't mean forwards have it easier.

Tactics have developed to the point that the game is far, far harder for attackers now than it ever has been in the past, even if no individual defenders are as good as they were in the past. Yes, Maradona got treatment from defenders far worse than anything Messi has ever had to face, but even accounting for that the difference in the time and space afforded to attackers simply means it is far, far more difficult for attacking players today than it was 25 years ago. The changes in tactical set up from teams as a whole - not necessarily better tactical awareness from individuals, but better organised XIs - limit the space and opportunities available to attackers, it's considerably more difficult to score now than ever before as a result, yet Messi & Ronaldo have absolutely smashed goalscoring records over a ridiculous number of seasons.

While all that might be true about most leagues(not convinced about Serie A for starters) Ronaldo & Messi are playing with teams full of players a level or 2 above the opposition most weeks, it's a bit like watching Celtic players scoring 30 or 40 goals here every season,cash has changed the whole dynamic of football.

FTR Baresi and Maldini conceded 23 goals in 196 games when they played in the same team together as centre halfs.

Edited by ayrmad

While all that might be true about most leagues(not convinced about Serie A for starters) Ronaldo & Messi are playing with teams full of players a level or 2 above the opposition most weeks, it's a bit like watching Celtic players scoring 30 or 40 goals here every season,cash has changed the whole dynamic of football.
FTR Baresi and Maldini conceded 23 goals in 196 games when they played in the same team together as centre halfs.

Just being pernickety, but Maldini was the left back. Costacurta partnered Baresi at centre back.

13 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Just being pernickety, but Maldini was the left back. Costacurta partnered Baresi at centre back.

That's why there's only 196 games, they played in the same AC Milan team loads of times.

I should have added for AC Milan in the previous post.

Edited by ayrmad

11 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Well the history of the Premier League in England doesn't seem to show that it is "far, far harder" to score.  Between the early 90's and now the records show a consistant rise in the average number of goals scored.  The average has risen around 2.4 goals per game to around 2.80 per game.  

And while the best teams score roughly the same number of goals per season (round about 80), the poorest teams concede more goals than they did in the past (up from about mid 60's to high 70's and fairly often even the 80's) suggesting a general decline in quality.

On 28/12/2016 at 23:36, Dominique Malonga said:

There was a boy on my street we used to play football with who had that Haircut :lol: that was over ten years ago now, where has the time went...46370bea2abbe4bd29a7d5b1ce3fa9f3.jpg

Don't mean to make you feel worse mate but that was 2002, not 2006. That 'over 10 years' is nearly a decade and a half now. :(