Any lunatics still thinking Messi is the best?

Mr Romanov

41 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Right enough, I’d have Messi as my centre mid over Modric any day...

emoji849.png

Tbf Messis range of passing is comparable to Modrics, the amount of pinpoint passes he makes over 30 yards is incredible. 

Rather strange thread this, surely to God that anyone who watches football regularly and has any sort of idea about the game, would have to concede that if Messi is not the greatest player in history, then he's certainly up there with the best.

Workrate, goalscoring, passing, vision, fitness, longevity at the top and his all round professionalism are second to none...............

Messi is better technically, Ronaldo athletically. The end result is still the same, the ball goes in the back of the net one way or another. Personally I’d rather watch Messi do it, but I’m not making outlandish claims like some in here.

Rather strange thread this, surely to God that anyone who watches football regularly and has any sort of idea about the game, would have to concede that if Messi is not the greatest player in history, then he's certainly up there with the best.
Workrate, goalscoring, passing, vision, fitness, longevity at the top and his all round professionalism are second to none...............

Work-rate?

21 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

It’s not hyperbole if it’s true. Ronaldo is a phenomenal goal scorer, an absolutely elite athlete, and the second best player that has ever played, but he isn’t the football player that Messi is. No one is.

Messi is one of, if not the best goal scorer in history, whilst at the same time being the most consistently creative player in Europe for over a decade. He drops deep in to midfield, dictates the tempo of games, creates multiple chances per game, both directly with assists and by building attacks, and often times then finishes them too. He’s Xavi, Iniesta and Ronaldo rolled in to one absolutely spectacular football player.

Luka Modric or Kevin De Bruyne (or any other elite creative midfielder) can’t do what he does, but Messi can do what they can. Harry Kane or Aguero (or any other elite striker) can’t do what Messi does, but he can do what they can.

People fawn and gush over him because he is truly, truly special. As a footballer, he is miles ahead of everyone else, both past and present, maybe that just won’t be fully acknowledged until he retires and people realise just how good he was.

Imagine being a grown man and actually coming out with that.

f**k me.

23 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

It’s not hyperbole if it’s true. Ronaldo is a phenomenal goal scorer, an absolutely elite athlete, and the second best player that has ever played, but he isn’t the football player that Messi is. No one is.

Messi is one of, if not the best goal scorer in history, whilst at the same time being the most consistently creative player in Europe for over a decade. He drops deep in to midfield, dictates the tempo of games, creates multiple chances per game, both directly with assists and by building attacks, and often times then finishes them too. He’s Xavi, Iniesta and Ronaldo rolled in to one absolutely spectacular football player.

Luka Modric or Kevin De Bruyne (or any other elite creative midfielder) can’t do what he does, but Messi can do what they can. Harry Kane or Aguero (or any other elite striker) can’t do what Messi does, but he can do what they can.

People fawn and gush over him because he is truly, truly special. As a footballer, he is miles ahead of everyone else, both past and present, maybe that just won’t be fully acknowledged until he retires and people realise just how good he was.

Xavi, Iniesta and Ronaldo rolled into one. Have you lost the plot? 

There are numerous attributes and things that Ronaldo does that Messi can’t. I think over the course of their careers Messi is the better footballer, but to say he can do everything Ronaldo does is just more utter nonsense.

35 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

If you want someone to score three out of six goals against Alaves then Messi wins, if you want someone to do it on the big occasion then Ronaldo wins. Best big game player in history. 

Messi has scored in two champions league finals, scored in umpteen clasicos, scored in several Copa del Ray finals and has been Barcelona's top scorer in all but one season in the past decade during which Barcelona have hoovered up La Liga titles. The idea that he's not a big game player is nonsense.

Edited by captainkev

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I’m not saying Messi hasn’t done it on the big occasion, he’s the second best player to ever live, of course he’s showed up occasionally, but Ronaldo is your man for the big games, even the most avid Messi fan boy won’t be denying that. 

Messis scored in more Finals than Ronaldo. He's also scored more winning goals in Finals. Ronaldo generally just adds to a scoreline.

Honestly though, in terms of "clutch players", Gareth Bale is probably your man. Has he not scored vital goals in two recent CL finals?

Edited by RandomGuy.

I’m not saying Messi hasn’t done it on the big occasion, he’s the second best player to ever live, of course he’s showed up occasionally, but Ronaldo is your man for the big games, even the most avid Messi fan boy won’t be denying that. 

Now, I’m firmly in the Messi camp, but your point about big games is perfectly valid, particularly at international level, though it’s hard to pinpoint exactly why. Argentina and Portugal have their megastar each and then a bunch of very good players. However, Ronaldo has far more consistently produced that magic moment for Portugal when required more than Messi has for Argentina. Ronaldo seems to be able to roll the sleeves up and drag his team through whereas Messi often disappears from internationals and cuts a forlorn figure when results don’t go Argentina’s way.

Now, I’m firmly in the Messi camp, but your point about big games is perfectly valid, particularly at international level, though it’s hard to pinpoint exactly why. Argentina and Portugal have their megastar each and then a bunch of very good players. However, Ronaldo has far more consistently produced that magic moment for Portugal when required more than Messi has for Argentina. Ronaldo seems to be able to roll the sleeves up and drag his team through whereas Messi often disappears from internationals and cuts a forlorn figure when results don’t go Argentina’s way.

Messi helped Argentina reach a World Cup final and two Copa America finals. Were it not for Higuin being a bottling b*****d, they’d have won at least two of the three.