OCD. Does anyone suffer from it?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worked with a guy who had it – he used to make to leave work every night then come back two and three times to double check everything was locked and shut down. Asked him about it – he said he’d just have a feeling of unease all night if he didn’t.

I reckon his was still a mild case though – there was a documentary on C4 a while ago that showed severe ones where people were washing their hands a couple of hundred times a day or unable to perform any kind of function without doing these elaborate counting rituals to ward off the feeling something bad would happen if they didn’t.

Quite often it's triggered by a traumatic event that the sufferer experiences. Rather than putting it down to misfortune, they associate it with a random event that preceded it. The rationale being that if the preceding event is avoided, reoccurence of the traumatic event will also be avoided.

I have a friend whose family never use their front door because that was the door the father left by on the day he died in a car crash.

I have to make sure things like notifications on my phone, Facebook or whatever are all dealt with. It annoys me to buggery when there's an unread message or update that I haven't processed. And my battery always has to be above 20% which is a problem as I have an iPhone.

And I have to be early for everything. At least 5 or 10 minutes. I don't know if that is OCD or just like being organised though.

I reckon I probably have it. I wash my hands a ludicrous amount of times a day, before I eat anything from a packet of crisps to a single biscuit or something I get the urge to wash my hands, and if I don't I wont eat it. Its a similar sort of thing with my dishes in the house they all have to be spotless.

Checking doors are locked several times and plugs are off is another big one. I should probably go to the doc....

And I have to be early for everything. At least 5 or 10 minutes. I don't know if that is OCD or just like being organised though.

That's being called "a woman".

You've only read about women in books haven't you?

Another "condition" from the recent craze for wanting to be diagnosed with something.

See also food intolerance's, dyslexia, adhd.

People need to get a fucking grip of themselves.

Solid post. Conditions like adhd, dyslexia etc are part of the normal spectrum of human behaviours. IN extreme cases they do impact on a person's ability to function in school and other social settings.

Don't get me started on the medicalisation of masculinity in schools though.

Solid post. Conditions like adhd, dyslexia etc are part of the normal spectrum of human behaviours.

Very much this. People seem to be absolutely desperate to be told they have something wrong with them.

Solid post. Conditions like adhd, dyslexia etc are part of the normal spectrum of human behaviours. IN extreme cases they do impact on a person's ability to function in school and other social settings.

Don't get me started on the medicalisation of masculinity in schools though.

I think your tinfoil hat might be too tight, it's starting to restrict your brain function.

I have to make sure things like notifications on my phone, Facebook or whatever are all dealt with. It annoys me to buggery when there's an unread message or update that I haven't processed.

if i told you i have over 2400 unread emails in my works in box you'd probably explode.

i read them in the viewer and if i dont need to reply i just file them.

I think everyone is a bit OCD, I usually go through the same routine when leaving the house.

Check windows are shut (not so much now in Winter), check doors locked, check I have keys and phone and TV is off.

If I leave suddenly without doing all of this or if someone interferes or checks the door for me I will get distracted for about a couple of hours thinking that I've forgotten something.

One thing I don't like is chrome stuff in the bathroom and kitchen - nightmare to clean and always dirty. Can live with dust or crumbs for a few days but streaky cooker does my head in. Shite if you're frying a steak of something that messes it up.

Archived