OCD. Does anyone suffer from it?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the same with notifications. The problem here is that I usually check them when I'm not able to respond to them immediately. This then means I forget and people think I'm ignoring them.

I display precisely none of the other behaviours mentioned.

I do, however, have some little quirks that it turns out a lot of other people have. I can't stand emails sitting in my inbox. I sort them into folders whenever I can and if I can delete them, even better.

Numerical volume scales will eventually kill me. They absolutely must be on a multiple of five. If I can't find one that's a comfortable volume, it must then at least be an even number. It's just a shame that I sometimes need to adjust the volume while driving, usually because my husband thinks he's in Spinal Tap and sets it to 11 meaning I have to change it.

None of my quirks have a huge impact on my life at all. I certainly don't have OCD and if I did, there'd be millions of us walking around with it.

With you on this one except fifteen is a no no for some reason. Has to be 20 or 22ish during the day and late at night maybe 14 or 12. Fifteen is not on.

Don't know why they need numbers anyway it's something you hear, just have a bar ffs!

I think I have this, I have the compulsive need to wash my hands several times a day, even if they are clean. I arrange all my films and games in alphabetical order. I never like to leave things unfinished. It doesn't really affect my day to day tho. I don't think it's a big deal.

I think it's the ritualistic behaviour that marks proper OCD out though. The earlier post about having to count to a certain number - maybe doing things in threes or whatever - is classic OCD. Washing hands a few times a day and keeping things in alphabetical order is just:

a. Not being a manky b*****d

b. Trying to stand a better than even chance of finding the thing you're looking for.

To combat this I think of something unusual when locking the door so that if I think about it during the day it triggers my memory to the unusual thing.

I'm the same. Today it was "the door is locked. The imaginary guy with Ebola sitting in the corner of the driveway says the door is locked". Got to keep it up to date otherwise it won't work. Without it I'd get to the end of the road and feel utterly compelled to go back and double check the lock.

Working up in the far northern highlands was superb as I didn't have to lock a thing and worry about shite like that for about 3.5 months at a time.

Oh, and if I bump myself anywhere, I have to do it again on the other side or I feel uneven. I only realised I wasn't completely weird (rather just a little bit weird) when I was at a friend's house once and she bumped her knee while walking up the stairs. She had to stop and bump the other knee and I realised why we were friends.

I've had OCPD for a number of years. Behaviour is similar to OCD but the pathology is different. Fortunately it is tempered somewhat by my meds, so I no longer fly around in a three day long rage just because someone didn't stack the washing up a certain way etc.

It's a ballache in a lot of respects, but provided I'm just left to my own devices it's not that overwhelming. It's when other things interfere that I go completely berserk. It probably causes the missus more grief than it does me because she has to put up with the consequences of my habits. I can't sit down to eat until all the cooking implements, pots, pans, baking trays etc are cleaned and stacked, every door in the house has to be closed and I'll get up and go to the other side of the house to close one if I know it's open, even if that means I get up while eating a meal. I have to do every set of daily tasks in a specific order which is totally inflexible. It's when something doesn't go to plan or upsets the planned routine that the problems start.

OCD people usually start off anxious and need their routines to quell the anxiety, whereas with OCPD you have your routines and it's only when they're disrupted the anxiety begins.

Oh, and if I bump myself anywhere, I have to do it again on the other side or I feel uneven. I only realised I wasn't completely weird (rather just a little bit weird) when I was at a friend's house once and she bumped her knee while walking up the stairs. She had to stop and bump the other knee and I realised why we were friends.

WTF?!?!

So in the unlikely event you got one of your kneecaps shot off by a deranged gunman, you'd ask him to do the other one?

Solid post. Conditions like adhd, dyslexia etc are part of the normal spectrum of human behaviours. IN extreme cases they do impact on a person's ability to function in school and other social settings.

Don't get me started on the medicalisation of masculinity in schools though.

Are you actually a teacher?

Not sure if OCD covers it, just a creature of habit -

Always enter the house by the same door I left through.

Volumes must be an even number.

Right shoe/ boot on first, same with socks.

Plates in the dishwasher in a certain way - even after 2 years my good lady doesn't get this.

P&B on the iPad must be in Desktop skin (really annoys me that it doesn't do this automatically)

etc

I have to make sure the door is locked several times. This often means leaving the house and returning to the door after a few steps. I do the same with the car. I also quite often have to go back inside the house to make sure the hob is off for example, or the lights are off. I know already that they are off, I know that the doors are locked but I can't stop myself checking again or I'll have this niggling little worry at the back of my head for the whole day.

I accidentally brushed my hand against a hot heater today and had to briefly brush my other hand against it too. Quite often aswell if my left toe trips up over something when I'm walking, I'll stop and give the ground a wee kick with my right toe. Although I'd stop short of asking someone holding me hostage to make sure they shot both my kneecaps instead of just the one.

I used to have more annoying habits when I was younger, I remember in my early years of primary school everything I said out loud I would have to repeat to myself straight after in a quiet whisper.

Archived