The Beef Thread

10 years ago or so I worked for a butchers firm in Greenock, who provided the breakfast packs for most of the supermarkets, Asda, Morrisons, Tesco and Co Op from memory. Everything in the pack was identical but they had different labels depending on where we were sending them. It's not that uncommon.

McKechnie Jess near Cappielow?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to take my old pal Andy out on a midweek day for a couple of pints and a bite to eat. In a wee rustic country pub we ordered our beers, had a blether and then ordered our lunch along with our second beer. I ordered fish, Andy ordered steak. We heard the pots and pans getting rattled in the kitchen when the chef came rushing back through to ask, "How would you like your steak cooked sir? Rare, medium or well done? Old Andy, aged 84 at the time and with not a tooth in his head replied "Minced". I laughed.

I have three frying pans and my hob has four gas rings, even if I had another pan I can only manage one steak at a time.

Ah I see. You're attempting humour.

I was looking for any tips the lovely people of PnB had for cooking steak. When I cook it at home its usually rather underwhelming in comparison to some Steak I've had in restaurants cut for cut.

Ah I see. You're attempting humour.

I was looking for any tips the lovely people of PnB had for cooking steak. When I cook it at home its usually rather underwhelming in comparison to some Steak I've had in restaurants cut for cut.

Don't cook it for the same time on both sides - cook it for a minute or two less on the second side after you flip it, since the heat will also be coming through from the first side.

Bit of olive oil and season both sides of the steak.

Make sure the pan is burning hot before putting my steak on.

1 minute either side (I use stopwatch on phone)

Turn heat down and do another 30-40 seconds on each side.

Done.

That's how I have mine at home. No sauce or added stuff.

I've followed Simon Hopkinsons method and works well.

Heat griddle pan up on high heat. On steak score the fat and brush with olive oil. Also rub in sea salt. Put steak onto pan but only on fat and allow oils to flow for a bit. Then cook couple minutes each side for rare steak. Win.

Archived