Your First Scotland Game

Mr Gandosaur

I'm citing people's general reactions and duplicity in what they deem acceptable forms of thuggery or otherwise. Very similar to the Keane/Haaland affair....yes the final 'act' was brutal, but also the culmination of five/six years of antagonism on both sides. Difference is, Haaland was busy 'noising up'/kicking the shit out of the Georgi Hristovs and Eyal Berkovics of the world on the quiet when no.one could be arsed watching low end EPL, while Keane was winning Cups every year so ought to know better!!! I bet you would have been disgusted at Tommy Gemmell chasing the West German around Hampden too.

I get your point. My point is you should make it elsewhere.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MT made a fair go of starting it feeling the need to correct everyone. I can be a smartarse myself but didnt believe it to be conducive to what is otherwise an enjoyable and not too serious thread.

It's a good thread, but people shouldn't get dates wildly wrong.

It betrays a lack of care.

Maybe some people just dont have a filing cabinet where their brain ought to be. In football terms, i could pretty much rhyme anything from 1986 onwards date venue lineups and scorers and not just Clyde and Scotland, but recently updated my cv and couldn't place the years on two jobs for love nor money. It happens. Maybe things just arent that big a deal to people. Some more firsts, please.

It's a good thread, but people shouldn't get dates wildly wrong.It betrays a lack of care.

I'm as much to blame as anyone. I thought McGinlay scored vs Sweden in 1996 in 9 mins...turns out it was 8 mins.

F*cking raging with myself!

Eta: I even wrote 'McGinlay 9’ on the 'Scotland vs Sweden' bit on the front of the match program. Might as well have wiped my arse with it :(

Why does everyone get bent out of shape over this??? How many of you stand there with mouthfuls of pie being spat out at 99% of players lying on the deck irrespective of the challenge 99% of the rest of the time?? Nicola Albani was his name, and by and large he and his comrades basic functions in that match was to pull jerseys, lie on their back for as long as posdible and generally be a pain in the arse. Admittedly their previous game was a 10-0 rout at the hands of Belgium, Branko Strupar and Marc Wilmots et al, who had just stolen a 2-2 draw (van Buyten in stoppage time) the Saturday prior, which the Sammarinese felt compelled to sneer and snigger about even before the game kicked off. As smaller developing football nations go, they are not a patch on the Faroes, Leichtenstein or Malta who play the game properly albeit with extreme limitations, and have embarrassed us enough on football terms to deserve our respect. The treatment dished out to Hendry was absolutely disgusting, but then again after hearing how McAllister, Ferguson, McGregor, Boyd and anyone else who falls foul of the Tartan Army Conduct Code (in the name of not upsetting any chums we might make tm1990+) were treated then i guess its entirely fitting.

McAllister , Ferguson, McGregor and Boyd are perfect examples of non - team players. Players who think they are above being told what to do. Scotland are well shot of egotistical knobheads such as these who held back the progression of those who were genuinely proud to play for their country.

Thank god we now have a proud and tactically adept manager to instill the true meaning of playing for your country and allow players to perform to their true potential.

McAllister , Ferguson, McGregor and Boyd are perfect examples of non - team players. Players who think they are above being told what to do. Scotland are well shot of egotistical knobheads such as these who held back the progression of those who were genuinely proud to play for their country.

Thank god we now have a proud and tactically adept manager to instill the true meaning of playing for your country and allow players to perform to their true potential.

I'd wager if George Burley was in charge of the current crop, a fair few would down tools or walk away. The manager is the difference, not the players. To be fair though, Strachan seems to be working towards getting a squad he can completely and utterly trust.

Anyway, I was the one whingeing about derailing this thread, so back to first games...

I'd wager if George Burley was in charge of the current crop, a fair few would down tools or walk away. The manager is the difference, not the players. To be fair though, Strachan seems to be working towards getting a squad he can completely and utterly trust.

Anyway, I was the one whingeing about derailing this thread, so back to first games...

Eta: McAllister an egotistical knobhead? I take it you mean McCulloch?

I'm as much to blame as anyone. I thought McGinlay scored vs Sweden in 1996 in 9 mins...turns out it was 8 mins.

F*cking raging with myself!

Eta: I even wrote 'McGinlay 9’ on the 'Scotland vs Sweden' bit on the front of the match program. Might as well have wiped my arse with it :(

Don't beat yourself up.

People have made worse errors on the thread.

16th Aug 1995

Scotland 1 - 0 Greece

McCoist had been out long term with a leg break, but he came on after 70 odd minutes in this game. He scored with one of his first touches and we won 1-0.

Practically sealed our qualification for Euro 96 if I recall correctly.

That was mine as well. Can't remember anything about the game apart from the goal.

8th March 1989

Scotland 2 France 0

I was there with my under 14's team, Johnston with 2 goals, pissed down the whole game and I wouldn't have got any wetter if I had jumped i the sea! Amazing atmosphere though!

8th March 1989

Scotland 2 France 0

I was there with my under 14's team, Johnston with 2 goals, pissed down the whole game and I wouldn't have got any wetter if I had jumped i the sea! Amazing atmosphere though!

That was my first Scotland game too! Remember getting piss wet through as well.....fcuking hell Hampden was grim back then!

Aye pissing rain was a fucker. Mind you, someone pissing down the back of your leg would always heat you up for a wee while.

Offt......I'd managed to blur those vile memories out until now! :(

November 1992, Scotland 0-0 Italy at Ibrox. A pretty poor game! The first 3/4 games I went to were at Ibrox, Hampden must have been getting redeveloped at the time. Having been at Scotland games at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Easter Road etc... I genuinely preferred the atmosphere at these stadiums rather than at the national stadium.

Archived