Your First Scotland Game

Mr Gandosaur

Scotland 0 - 1 Republic of Ireland February 1987

I don't remember too much about the game other than Irelands goal was early and Jim Leighton made an arse of it which meant 8 year old me lost pretty much all interest in the game.

Being too small to lean on the barrier I decided to sit on it instead and fell off it smashing my head off the concrete steps! :lol:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colin Hendry hospitalised that San Marino youngster and was utterly unrepentant about it in 2001.Why would he have played his last Scotland game two years before winning the title with Blackburn?Why do people keep making glaring errors in this thread?

Settle petal.

Scotland 0 - 1 Republic of Ireland February 1987

I don't remember too much about the game other than Irelands goal was early and Jim Leighton made an arse of it which meant 8 year old me lost pretty much all interest in the game.

Being too small to lean on the barrier I decided to sit on it instead and fell off it smashing my head off the concrete steps! :lol:

Without wanting to incur the wrath of monkey tennis was that the one where Mark Lawrenson scored the winner?

Better.

Cheers mate x

In my defence, Hendry's discraceful assault on that young San Marinoese (?) player is my only recollection of their games against Scotland.

Why does everyone get bent out of shape over this??? How many of you stand there with mouthfuls of pie being spat out at 99% of players lying on the deck irrespective of the challenge 99% of the rest of the time?? Nicola Albani was his name, and by and large he and his comrades basic functions in that match was to pull jerseys, lie on their back for as long as posdible and generally be a pain in the arse. Admittedly their previous game was a 10-0 rout at the hands of Belgium, Branko Strupar and Marc Wilmots et al, who had just stolen a 2-2 draw (van Buyten in stoppage time) the Saturday prior, which the Sammarinese felt compelled to sneer and snigger about even before the game kicked off. As smaller developing football nations go, they are not a patch on the Faroes, Leichtenstein or Malta who play the game properly albeit with extreme limitations, and have embarrassed us enough on football terms to deserve our respect. The treatment dished out to Hendry was absolutely disgusting, but then again after hearing how McAllister, Ferguson, McGregor, Boyd and anyone else who falls foul of the Tartan Army Conduct Code (in the name of not upsetting any chums we might make tm1990+) were treated then i guess its entirely fitting.

Strange then how Christian 'is that the door???' Dailly is lauded a hero for not only hacking opponents to f**k each and every cap he earned, but also for removing bits of the Westfalen out of their hinges for being a big bloody wean and calling everyone cheats just because Mo Ross couldn't tackle a fish supper. I also notice that Ioain Ganea never faced anywhere near the wrath from Scottish players he faced over the John Kennedy assault that Hendry came in for. He obvuiusly played up to the Braveheart tale a bit too much and took the glorious Tartan Armys light from them by being such a figurehead, eh.

Strange then how Christian 'is that the door???' Dailly is lauded a hero for not only hacking opponents to f**k each and every cap he earned, but also for removing bits of the Westfalen out of their hinges for being a big bloody wean and calling everyone cheats just because Mo Ross couldn't tackle a fish supper. I also notice that Ioain Ganea never faced anywhere near the wrath from Scottish players he faced over the John Kennedy assault that Hendry came in for. He obvuiusly played up to the Braveheart tale a bit too much and took the glorious Tartan Armys light from them by being such a figurehead, eh.

Why do you defend bad behaviour by citing other examples of it?

It's silly.

I vote that you start a 'violent b*stards' thread to discuss this and leave this one for the enjoyable first game shouts.

I vote that you start a 'violent b*stards' thread to discuss this and leave this one for the enjoyable first game shouts.

I can't quite work out what he's getting so upset about? Heads gone!

I'm citing people's general reactions and duplicity in what they deem acceptable forms of thuggery or otherwise. Very similar to the Keane/Haaland affair....yes the final 'act' was brutal, but also the culmination of five/six years of antagonism on both sides. Difference is, Haaland was busy 'noising up'/kicking the shit out of the Georgi Hristovs and Eyal Berkovics of the world on the quiet when no.one could be arsed watching low end EPL, while Keane was winning Cups every year so ought to know better!!! I bet you would have been disgusted at Tommy Gemmell chasing the West German around Hampden too.

Archived