The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

7 minutes ago, Swarley said:

It's the end of winter here (Sydney) and the last three days we've had highs of 28° or 29°. This is not normal! 

We got to 35C before humidity and a feels like of 45 on Tuesday and then got this big b*****d as soon as the sun went down

IMG_4460.jpeg

8 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

We got to 35C before humidity and a feels like of 45 on Tuesday and then got this big b*****d as soon as the sun went down

IMG_4460.jpeg

Ah, the Windae City, so-called because it has more windaes in it's skyscrapers than any other city. 

54 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Ah, the Windae City, so-called because it has more windaes in its skyscrapers than any other city. 

The St Regis goes one further and just has a big hole for the wind to blow right thru

IMG_4468.thumb.png.a60120de95781b14fb500f90bf5edc07.png

10 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

IMG_4460.jpeg

It's like the ending of the Matrix trilogy.

Not so much "severe" weather but clucking bell the temp differentials were odd today.

I left Edinburgh this am, it was cool (fair enough, the unusual east wind had chucked up haar that lasted til almost Hamilton)

Did work in sons flat, and when we left Glasgow at 3pm, it was like Madrid ! Gorgeous sunny and 23c................then the haar started around Livingston on the M8 and it is 13c here.

54 miles door to door............

Edited by Leith Green

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

When you hear a hurricane is close to being as intense as is mathematically possible, then it's probably a good time to get out of the way.

Yep, even with the forecast weakening before landfall, it looks nasty. Unfortunately, I know a couple that are in the projected path and have elected to ride it out because they are outside the mandatory evacuation zones (Zone A and B plus all manufactured homes). I think it’s a stupid decision, but they also pointed out they would have difficultly evacuating north due to the damage caused by Helene and if they head south to Miami and Milton turns more south, they’d be doubly f**ked.

5 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

When you hear a hurricane is close to being as intense as is mathematically possible, then it's probably a good time to get out of the way.

Yay! I'm supposed to be flying to Orlando on Thursday...

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yay! I'm supposed to be flying to Orlando on Thursday...

We  were meant to be flying tomorrow but been moved to Thursday as it stands. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

We  were meant to be flying tomorrow but been moved to Thursday as it stands. 

My in laws are flying out today.  The forecast certainly seems to show it having passed through by Thursday morning and we aren't due to get in till about 18:30, so I'm hopeful that it will be ok. 

NBC meteorologist being interviewed on BBC and being on the verge of tears when giving some pressure figures is never a good sign.

ETA: that and the mayor of Tampa Bay saying "I can say without any dramatisation whatsoever, if you choose to stay in one of those evacuation areas you are going to die".

Edited by Hedgecutter