Montrose vs Arbroath

I was surprised at myself yesterday. Been going to Links Park for over 40 years but couldnt bring myself to attend yesterday as the result was too predictable.

Arbroath have a bigger population but Brechin and Forfar are comparable, likewise in terms of home attendance, so I ask why Montrose have been languishing as the worst team in Angus for what seems like decades.

I suppose in some ways the answer is quite obvious. In more recent times we have been appointing managers that were part of the previous problem and board members that are more interested in self agrandisement and publicity for their companies than the welfare of the team on the park or the supporters.

I found myself almost wishing we just called it a day as a sporting organisation as we are an embarrassment to history.

Montrose FC brings more distress than joy to the few that are interested in them and any business that does that deserves to fold.

To be honest, Montrose FC remind me of Arbroath FC for the best part of the 1980's... one failed manager after another, the other 3 Angus teams winning the 2nd Division just made it harder... it took us until the late 1990's to get out of the bottom league. Thank you David Baikie... and since then we have done pretty well surviving in the 1st Division with wins at St. Mirren and Ross County etc...

Anyway, the best spell Montrose FC had was under Weir... as he had a bit of money to spend. Dare I say you need a Brian Keith type man back at Links Park... all is not lost. Just that Montrose FC have lost the Mighty tag now... please sack the P.A man BTW

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this bit from allan moore on facebook. Seems a down to earth guy that is getting the most from the squad. ....

The players must take all the credit as they have been a joy to work with great players but no superstars guys that work hard for each other and appreciate everyone's strengths. Myself and Todd love working with honest hard workings players

Ugly result watched through fingers at the laptop.

I'm not quite as doomy as Ivo, but I think the discipline is a clear problem and our next 4 games against sides gunning for the PO's are key.

Thankfully we have two weeks off to recover.

Found this bit from allan moore on facebook. Seems a down to earth guy that is getting the most from the squad. ....

The players must take all the credit as they have been a joy to work with great players but no superstars guys that work hard for each other and appreciate everyone's strengths. Myself and Todd love working with honest hard workings players

Allan Moore is theeeeee boi

Official crowd w**k time! What was the split of numbers? 700+ Lichties is my guess... I hope OZMO is ok, on the point of breakdown

last night... I shall pray for you ;)

420 through the away gate at twenty past three. Decent number I thought. Its a shame that this fixture always brings the local knob ends on both sides out though.

Montrose were woeful yesterday. After Scotty won the penalty we had a very short spell on top but after that Crawford goal it was only ever going to be a rout.

The ball did move a good 4/5 yards when Crawford hit it but the ref told him to get on with it as he had already replaced it. That goal was entirely Dylan's fault who had a shocker throughout. Awful keeper although the sending off was very harsh. Looked like he won the ball from where I was? Woody in goals next week?

He didn't touch the ball mate. The contact on shagger was minimal but still enough to upend him. Deserved red and stonewall penalty

Fair enough I was 100 yards away. To be honest he adds more to the team being suspended

723 Mo fans in a quarter of the ground? Didn't look like it.

Anyways apart from one wee incident I didn't think there was any bad behaviour.

Add in the near 200 in hospitality leaving a home crowd of around 520 sounds right to me.

I went down and enjoyed it

At two nil Montrose looked ok and deserved to get one back, they probably should have got another one or two throughout the game, couple bad misses.

The keepers goal, aye the ball was moving, as it was at just about every dead ball situation down at the open end of the ground, the ref quite rightly let them go, the joys of a plastic pitch on a windy day, I actually thought the montrose keeper and his replacement did quite well at goal kicks because the ball was rolling so much each time they went to howf it.

Was the free kick for the keepers goal not indirect anyway? If the mo keeper had left it then it was a goal kick. Arbroath were all over it at 3 -1 and it could have been quite a few more, the pen was defo a pen but its shit they send the keepers off for it, hes genuinely going for the ball and just gets beat by a better player, its a shit rule.

Great wee crowd, no way was there only 400 Arbroath, nearer 2 to 1 Afc, looks like someones skimming the gate or they went in the mo end, good to see the young kids living it up, no one gets fined for fans going on the park, that pitch is shit but it was nice to see the game mostly played on the deck.

I went down and enjoyed it

At two nil Montrose looked ok and deserved to get one back, they probably should have got another one or two throughout the game, couple bad misses.

The keepers goal, aye the ball was moving, as it was at just about every dead ball situation down at the open end of the ground, the ref quite rightly let them go, the joys of a plastic pitch on a windy day, I actually thought the montrose keeper and his replacement did quite well at goal kicks because the ball was rolling so much each time they went to howf it.

Was the free kick for the keepers goal not indirect anyway? If the mo keeper had left it then it was a goal kick. Arbroath were all over it at 3 -1 and it could have been quite a few more, the pen was defo a pen but its shit they send the keepers off for it, hes genuinely going for the ball and just gets beat by a better player, its a shit rule.

Great wee crowd, no way was there only 400 Arbroath, nearer 2 to 1 Afc, looks like someones skimming the gate or they went in the mo end, good to see the young kids living it up, no one gets fined for fans going on the park, that pitch is shit but it was nice to see the game mostly played on the deck.

Good hearing a neutral POV, agree with what you've said and glad you enjoyed it. But see if that had went in without the GKs touch and got disallowed that would be absolutely shite banter :lol: :lol:

Good thing suit the young lads is some of the new songs, mixing it up a bit ;) good 40 of them there yesterday the boy with the drum was having a great time. Shock that the stewards went and stood and moaned at them the whole game, should be encouraging that would get more youngsters through the gate, plenty of young lads running about Gayfield these days which is pleasing let's hope the Sheerin/maybe Moore if we win this time leaves a group of youngsters excited about coming down and let's them catch the bug.

I believe it would have been disallowed if the keeper didnt touch it

What was the free kick for? As that will indicate whether it was a direct or indirect kick.

723 Mo fans in a quarter of the ground? Didn't look like it.

Anyways apart from one wee incident I didn't think there was any bad behaviour.

Who is on the wind up here... just over 400 Arbroath fans? 723 Mo fans... got the numbers the wrong way round...

Arbroath should have been out of sight by half time, we got a bit complacent at 2-0 which almost turned to 2-2 until

David "he scores when he wants" Crawford scored against the disappearing keeper... (back in Canada already?!) 5-1 going of 8 or 9-1 easy... oh well back on the mantelpiece for Montrose... I wonder in the next Mo home game if the same "723" fans will show up? Unless they come dressed as empty seats...

Archived