Radio Scotland somehow lose listeners despite political turmoil

Baxter Parp

I'm afraid that its a reserved matter. It will ALWAYS be a reserved matter. Its not the gift of Holyrood to give unfortunately for you. For it to be made legal you'll need the blessing of the UK parliament.

We'll decide..... ;)

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If and when a majority of the Scottish people consistently want independence it will happen. Simple as that. No matter how much you cling onto your Edinburgh Agreement comfort blanket. I don't think there will be a call for another referendum in the next SNP manifesto, but the independence movement is still growing and is the most politically active section of Scottish society, so it will not go away. Scottish independence looks increasingly like a matter of when and not if, and no amount of trolling will change that.

There will be a problem coming up for this movement all the same. Particularly when it becomes clear that the SNP won't bring a referendum forward as part of their manifesto. Can you guarantee that this movement will stay totally united on that front?

You can already see that there are some who will play "the looong game" and some who definitely don't want to. No matter how you look at it, this will become problematic.

The London based parties don't make the rules anymore I'm afraid. If we wish to have another referendum that's exactly what we'll have!

The result is being respected and accepted by the Scottish government. But it isn't binding forever more regardless of how many nightmares it gives you.

I'm sorry to break this to but your Westminster over lords absolutely do make the rules.

Suck it up and be grateful that they gave you a chance of a referendum in the first place. :lol:

We'll decide..... ;)

The UK government decided to make the proposed referendum legal.

The Scottish government cannot hold a legally binding referendum on Independence. It would have to go down the UDI route.

The Holyrood parliament only exists as a creature of Westminster.

This was covered in the Quebec discussions also.

There will be a problem coming up for this movement all the same. Particularly when it becomes clear that the SNP won't bring a referendum forward as part of their manifesto. Can you guarantee that this movement will stay totally united on that front?

You can already see that there are some who will play "the looong game" and some who definitely don't want to. No matter how you look at it, this will become problematic.

You're coming across a little bit desperate now. It's almost as if you want to convince yourself it won't happen again.

There will always be "leeway" for the SNP to bring forward a referendum - always.

I'll say this much. The unity and lack of dissent in the SNP has been impressive to say the least. Its almost unprecedented actually. Ive rarely seen a party that united before. In fact, Ive never seen a party that united before, they normally all have their factions pulling in certain directions so its possible that the party itself is just very disciplined. We shall see. But with fifty odd thousand new punters rocking up off the back of a referendum defeat, its possible that they wont be the patient types?

There will always be "leeway" for the SNP to bring forward a referendum - always.

Assuming they have a majority in Holyrood.

Have you prepared yourself for the disappointment when you get told that the next manifesto isn't going to have this commitment? Will you still be knocking on doors and delivering leaflets?

The UK government decided to make the proposed referendum legal.

The Scottish government cannot hold a legally binding referendum on Independence. It would have to go down the UDI route.

The Holyrood parliament only exists as a creature of Westminster.

This was covered in the Quebec discussions also.

The UK government won't block.

No, that's "you" not "we" ;)

We, as in the Scottish electorate. Democracy always means the majority will prevails. Your view wasn't the majority. A referendum is even more clear cut than any regular election too as it requires a direct answer to a particular question. Its unambiguous.

The UK government won't block.

I tend to agree. I disagree with Reynard here.

Not that it's anythign we need to concern ourselves with for the next generation.

Assuming they have a majority in Holyrood.

Have you prepared yourself for the disappointment when you get told that the next manifesto isn't going to have this commitment? Will you still be knocking on doors and delivering leaflets?

Methinks it's you who will be disappointed...

Methinks it's you who will be disappointed...

In what sense?

I think on previous form on this forum, it's much more likely I will be right than you. Given how horribly wrong you got the whole referendum in the first place.

We, as in the Scottish electorate. Democracy always means the majority will prevails. Your view wasn't the majority. A referendum is even more clear cut than any regular election too as it requires a direct answer to a particular question. Its unambiguous.

We've moved on since the last one. We're taking about the next one now

In what sense?

I think on previous form on this forum, it's much more likely I will be right than you. Given how horribly wrong you got the whole referendum in the first place.

Oh puuullease You were shitting it at one point when the polls started to rise at a furious rate.

I tend to agree. I disagree with Reynard here.

Not that it's anythign we need to concern ourselves with for the next generation.

The British state will simply apply the Spanish Catalan treatment. It won't give a f**k now. It behaved well this time, its not going to bother its arse for at least a generation. Salmond chose his words on this with great care. He understood this very well indeed. And he wasn't wanting to stick around to deal with the aftermath either.

Archived