Motherwell's Next Manager

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving it to Kenny Black would trump Tommy Craig's appointment at St Mirren as LOL of the year

Eh? We've improved a hundred fold since Black took over. Playing the top three teams in the country we have a win and a couple of narrow defeats. The other match we lost away to undefeated at home Inverness. Hardly a terrible record. Unlike Tommy Craig he has won a home match for instance.

I don't want Black near the job at all tbh. He was responsible for the training and fitness and the team so AFAIC should not be in the running. Shiels appointment wouldn't worry me because of his time at Morton, but more for the fact he is a complete gobshite and would just piss off the players.

Butcher - he had his time and you should never go back.

Maaskant or Van Der Gaag would be worth a punt IMO.

I'm kinda getting fed up with people going on and on about fitness and training. Most of the people that go on about it think if you hammer players in training every day all day they become super human. They don't. They are just knackered. There were fitness issues at the beginning of the season, sure, but if you can remember as far back as last Saturday we actually finished stronger than we started. Most of this season we've just been outclassed and beaten psychologically. At 4-0 down does any player run as hard as at 0-0 or 1-0?

Also why are Maaskant or van der Gaag worth a punt? Because they have foreign names? Dig around a bit and van der Gaag has serious health issues and Rob Maaskant has been quite controversial. 11 managerial jobs and 9 of those jobs he's only been there for a season or less.

Here's a wikipedia section from the FC Groningen page.

"On 23 May 2012, Groningen announced that the 43-year-old Robert Maaskant would be the new manager. He signed a one year contract.

There were a lot of controversies before the season had even started. Maaskant was unhappy with the new signings. Especially Serbian winger Filip Kostic. The season was a disappointing one for the club. Despite finishing 7th, the style of play was far from encouraging, with mostly destructive football. The fans were far from pleased. Maaskant was also known for his controversial statements about certain players. All of which damaged Groningen's reputation as a quiet and decent club.

FC Groningen announced on 11 March 2013 that it would not be renewing its 1-year contract with Maaskant.[1]"

Eh? We've improved a hundred fold since Black took over. Playing the top three teams in the country we have a win and a couple of narrow defeats. The other match we lost away to undefeated at home Inverness. Hardly a terrible record. Unlike Tommy Craig he has won a home match for instance.

I'm kinda getting fed up with people going on and on about fitness and training. Most of the people that go on about it think if you hammer players in training every day all day they become super human. They don't. They are just knackered. There were fitness issues at the beginning of the season, sure, but if you can remember as far back as last Saturday we actually finished stronger than we started. Most of this season we've just been outclassed and beaten psychologically. At 4-0 down does any player run as hard as at 0-0 or 1-0?

Who said anything about hammering players? Do you think this works in fitness? If you admit there were fitness issues at the start of a season and that the players are knackered then you can be sure that folk will be moaning about the fitness levels. The pre-season is about getting players ready and they were far from it.

Also why are Maaskant or van der Gaag worth a punt? Because they have foreign names? Dig around a bit and van der Gaag has serious health issues and Rob Maaskant has been quite controversial. 11 managerial jobs and 9 of those jobs he's only been there for a season or less.

Here's a wikipedia section from the FC Groningen page.

"On 23 May 2012, Groningen announced that the 43-year-old Robert Maaskant would be the new manager. He signed a one year contract.

There were a lot of controversies before the season had even started. Maaskant was unhappy with the new signings. Especially Serbian winger Filip Kostic. The season was a disappointing one for the club. Despite finishing 7th, the style of play was far from encouraging, with mostly destructive football. The fans were far from pleased. Maaskant was also known for his controversial statements about certain players. All of which damaged Groningen's reputation as a quiet and decent club.

FC Groningen announced on 11 March 2013 that it would not be renewing its 1-year contract with Maaskant.[1]"

Why would you assume that I think they are worth a punt based on foreign names? You make assumptions on my opinion then hit me with Wikipedia. However I will indulge you.

Maaskant managed NAC Breda and did quite well there for two years and won the Polish League with Wisla. He is a bit of a gobshite, but so is Kenny Shiels and I know who I would rather have in charge.

I watch a lot of Portuguese football (bit of a long story there which I will spare you the details); Van Der Gaag did well in his first season at Martimo and was a coach there before getting promoted. He got punted early in the second season which was a knee jerk reaction from the board, but did very well to get a team like Belenenses (a pretty small team living the shadow of Sporting and Benfica in the outskirts of Lisbon) back in the top flight.

Nah I'm fucking with you - their names sound kinda cool.

If it's Butcher prepare yersels for life in the championship.

His record is abysmal and have no clue why he's in thee running. I don't see him being appointed. If he is if be amazed and would wonder why?

Plus potentially against Rangers in the play off it's a roll over with him in charge.

How can we be appointing a Manager who only won 1 of his last 18 games at Hibs last season and had them relegated. Wonder what the criteria for employing a Manager is these days. Adams would have been my choice with his outstanding record at Ross County. Finishing in the top six and 7th is some achievement for a wee club.

How can we be appointing a Manager who only won 1 of his last 18 games at Hibs last season and had them relegated. Wonder what the criteria for employing a Manager is these days. Adams would have been my choice with his outstanding record at Ross County. Finishing in the top six and 7th is some achievement for a wee club.

Hiya Derek! Hiya pal.

I know people like to laugh at potential managerial appointments, but that is a geniunely abysmal shortlist. Black got us relegated more times than I care to remember (3 I think). Shiels is a joke figure who proved last season he's not someone you want in this situation, getting Morton relegated. Butcher's also been relegated 3 times I think, and like Shiels, as recently as last season. From what I can see the others have done nothing and seem pretty strange potential appointments. Obviously Motherwell have no money so are looking for a free appointment, but there's still better options out there surely than them.

Butcher's gone from being odds on favourite for the last week or so, down to 4th in the betting and is now back at 5/1.

Van Der Gaag's now jumped to favourite. I know these things tend to fluctuate but that's some jump from Butcher who the bookies seem to have as a certainty up until yesterday.

Butcher's gone from being odds on favourite for the last week or so, down to 4th in the betting and is now back at 5/1.

Van Der Gaag's now jumped to favourite. I know these things tend to fluctuate but that's some jump from Butcher who the bookies seem to have as a certainty up until yesterday.

The bookies know f**k all.

I think van der Gaag will get it, although he does have his health problems and it's stressful enough for the likes of you and me.

I think van der Gaag will get it, although he does have his health problems and it's stressful enough for the likes of you and me.

Exactly this. I'm sure the St.Mirren fans will go through the same process. The board at Motherwell have done a good job of keeping the process in house.

As far who gets it, I would like van der Gaag. It'll give the fans a wee boost, certainly something that appointing Butcher, Black, Shiels or Baraclough wouldn't.

I think we'll find out tomorrow.

The bookies know how to make money and isn't that what really matters to them. The Van der Gaag odds falling like a stone could be that some punter has put as little as £100 on him.

Van Der Gaag or Maaskant would be fine for me. Only problems with either is VDG' health problems that made him leave his last job and Maaskant seems to only spent a maximum of 2 seasons at all his previous clubs he has managed. Still better than Shiels & the rest though.

"Terry Butcher has ruled himself out of the running for the Motherwell job."

Ah, the old "ruled himself out" routine.

I'm no buying that shit Terry. It's quite clearly been the case that he's been told "thanks, but no thanks" and he's trying to save face.

Archived