Favourite Gig Ever

Mr Sugden

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arcade Fire at the Barrowlands last November. They had a suit and tie or fancy dress code, so went along with 6 of my mates. We were lucky getting the tickets (someone on here posted a link after they'd sold out to ticket scotland). Turned up and it was absolutely fantastic. The place went absolutely apeshit mental when they played Wake Up. Ended up in Subby after too which made it even better. A truly great night.

The Reflectors gigs were outstanding. The fact they seemed more of an event rather than a plane old gig just made it outstanding.

My gig going heyday was the early 90's, so no surprises my absolute toppers come from that era.

• Sepultura at the Barras in about 91. Arise tour, whole place went berserk, was struggling to breathe down the front.
  • Suicidal Tendencies at the Barras in 93 I think.

In June 1994 I found out I'd successfully completed my degree. In the same week, there were gigs by Napalm Death, Entombed, Brutal Truth, Pungent Stench and Macabre.

[insert Ray Wilkins "My Word" .jpg]

The Reflectors gigs were outstanding. The fact they seemed more of an event rather than a plane old gig just made it outstanding.

Agreed. First and last time I will wear a bow tie in the Barras ! Great scenes but James with the orchestra in the Royal Concert Hall was an amazing night. If festivals are in then for me it has to be the Stones at Glastonbury last summer.

For pure mental scenes Kasabian in Killie earlier this year is my winner but I realise I`m cheating now.

James.

Blink 182 in 2010 when they played Aberdeen. A lot of it was to do with such a huge band actually coming to Aberdeen.

I remember the confetti coming down during Dammit singing "Well I guess this is growing up." It was my last year at school and it all felt so important.

And I caught Travis' drumstick after the drum solo where he flipped around. Terrific memories.

Honourable mentions to Phoenix at the Barrowlands last year, Biffy Clyro AECC 2010, Muse AECC 2006 and the Frightened Rabbit homecoming gig a couple of years back in Selkirk village hall.

Excluding festival sets.

I anticipate Biffy Clyro at the Barrowlands next month will join that list. Blackened Sky/Puzzle in case you're wondering.

Jason Isbell was outstanding the twice I've seen him this year, at Oran Mor with the 400 Unit and at the Liquid Rooms with Amanda Shires.

The aforementioned Frightened Rabbit gig was great.

Amazing Snakeheads at the Caves.

Alice Cooper in 2005 at the SECC probably just about tops them though.

Tough one this. Rush in Hartford Connecticut, which was a gig I didn't think I would see after the tragedies that befell Neil Peart so was really emotional. (There are a few moments for me with them but that gig was really special and I am glad I went). Outside of them Springsteen in the Playhouse, Devin Townsend's Retinal Circus gig which was absolutely bonkers, Twelfth Night in Rotherham (waited YEARS to see them), Diamond Head at the Odeon, Pain of Salvation in a tiny venue in Glasgow (downstairs of a bar!), Riverside at the Liquid Rooms and Queensryche at the Playhouse when they did all of "operation mindcrime" to name a few!

Archived