UKIP

Im_Rodger

Reckless certainly had the knives out for call me Dave on QT last night.

There's no love lost there. "Dave" made retaking his Rochester seat a top priority in May and let it be known that he'd be celebrating when Reckless was unseated.

UKIP grew to hate Reckless as well. He's not a very likeable character.

UKIP are beginning to implode I think. Carswell will be back in the Tory fold within the next few years, or will be out of politics altogether. He's really pressed at the moment, seeming to spend most of his day on twitter posting #cheerupfacts whilst on our wage bill.

Like all far-right groups, everyone wants to be the Fuhrer, and Farage is not for stepping down.

Would Carswell be welcomed back into the Tory fold? I understand he's supposedly a popular constituency MP, but the Tories are a tribal lot; I can't see them wanting a traitor who has fled to a splinter group party, bad-mouthed his old leader and party, and then shows signs of wanting to return when the explosion of UKIP onto the political scene turned out to be more of a wet fart. If anything, wouldn't he go independent?

Incidentally I do find it utterly fucking hilarious that he jumped ship to be ordered around by a little gimp like Farage, only for his old party to gain a majority and provide the referendum he supposedly wanted all along. If it wasn't for the fact that the money will pouring in as it always has, he'd be gutted about dropping trou and taking a dump on his career.

I think Nick Griffin has set up his own party, the British People's National Party or something like that.

If UKIP implode I wonder if any of their votes will migrate (lol) to the detritus of the far right? Certainly a lot of the BNP vote that sent Grifin and the other Nazi to the European Parliament in 2009 must've gone to UKIP last year.

There's no real vehicle for them to migrate to on the far right.

The BNP is now a joke, the NF full of washed up alcoholics, the EDL is riven with dissension and disillusion. The career criminal and far right thug "Tommy Robinson" seems to be indent on making "Pegida" his latest piggy bank but that hasn't exactly got off to a good start.

If UKIP do fall apart in the wake of Farageicide / continual electoral failure/ a Yes vote in the EU referendum, I suspect there will be some new eurospectic groupuscules formed. The core of the angry old white people demographic, really hoping for a return to the mid-1950s, will probably drift back to the Tories, or to Rhodesia-nostalgic societies, and the like.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

I think Nick Griffin has set up his own party, the British People's National Party or something like that.

If UKIP implode I wonder if any of their votes will migrate (lol) to the detritus of the far right? Certainly a lot of the BNP vote that sent Grifin and the other Nazi to the European Parliament in 2009 must've gone to UKIP last year.

The BNP only won those two seats in 2009 (at UKIP's expense) after the BBC and the Guardian talked them up just before the election. The large increase in UKIP's vote in 2014 was at the expense of the three main parties. The BNP was long dead by then, paralysed by huge debts and infighting. A significant number of BNP activists defected to the English Democrats. Others joined other far right organisations like the EDL.

UKIP is a protest party, a politicised pressure group. Its main objective, a referendum on EU membership, will have been achieved by 2018. If it can't find a new objective, e.g. an English Parliament, it will slowly fade away. Only a very small minority of Ukippers would join the far right which detests Farage and his party. Some will go to the main parties, especially the ex-Tories, but most will simply leave party politics.

There's no real vehicle for them to migrate to on the far right.

The BNP is now a joke, the NF full of washed up alcoholics, the EDL is riven with dissension and disillusion. The career criminal and far right thug "Tommy Robinson" seems to be indent on making "Pegida" his latest piggy bank but that hasn't exactly got off to a good start.

If UKIP do fall apart in the wake of Farageicide / continual electoral failure/ a Yes vote in the EU referendum, I suspect there will be some new eurospectic groupuscules formed. The core of the angry old white people demographic, really hoping for a return to the mid-1950s, will probably drift back to the Tories, or to Rhodesia-nostalgic societies, and the like.

There are lots of Eurosceptic pressure groups already and they are full of Ukippers. The Conservatives don't welcome back former members who defected to other parties - unless they have lots of money to donate of course.

Far right party gets a few councillors or other minor successes, the media talks them up with lots of concern that they're about to take over Britain, success in the Euro elections, anti-climactic General Election performance, in-fighting and implosion.

Once UKIP fade into absolute obscurity, something else will pop up and go through the whole process yet again.

that's frankly complacent. Far right euro-nationalism is on the rise across Europe and frankly that attitude "bah, they'll go away" is a big part of how they got to where they are today.

Many European countries have had authoritarian governments, Communist or Fascist, in the last 70 years. Racism and anti-semitism are still common in parts of Eastern Europe. Britain, by contrast, has been a model of democratic stability.

Far right party gets a few councillors or other minor successes, the media talks them up with lots of concern that they're about to take over Britain, success in the Euro elections, anti-climactic General Election performance, in-fighting and implosion.

Once UKIP fade into absolute obscurity, something else will pop up and go through the whole process yet again.

I've always wondered why the far right gets a disproportionate anount of media coverage compared to left wing parties like Greens, Solidarity, SSP who have all outperformed the far right in elections.

Is it because they fear the rise of the far right more than the left or do they actually sympathise with their viewpoints?

I've always wondered why the far right gets a disproportionate anount of media coverage compared to left wing parties like Greens, Solidarity, SSP who have all outperformed the far right in elections.

Is it because they fear the rise of the far right more than the left or do they actually sympathise with their viewpoints?

I think that the liberal democratic (small l, small d) consensus in this country is reflected by the media, and is vaguely shocked by parties who point out sections of our society who they think should be discriminated against. The leftish "radical" parties generally don't. Stirring up popular hatred gets votes, that's why it's a bit scary.

that's frankly complacent. Far right euro-nationalism is on the rise across Europe and frankly that attitude "bah, they'll go away" is a big part of how they got to where they are today.

Our fptp system works against them, as does the French system of would you like to have another think about that.

Edited by Jacksgranda

The only two far righters i found truly sinister were those two brothers that fronted the Guiness Book of Records.

Think some terrorist group murdered one of them.

The one surviving brother became a mate of the late Roy Castle.

The McWhirter twins founded, as well as "fronted", the Guinness Book of Records. Ross was murdered by the Provisional IRA in the 70s. There have been much more sinister far righters than them - especially in the National Front, the BNP and the various splinter parties.